Main Menu

National Board video stream

Started by flyguy06, September 01, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: A.Member on September 05, 2009, 04:40:45 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 04, 2009, 10:36:52 PM
18 G was approved?!?!?  SWEET!
Seriously?  Are people color blind? 

I didn't undestand the proposal let alone why it should pass.  Why a black army sweater for wear with a blue uniform loosely styled after the air force?  Perhaps someone can enlighten me.  A blue air force v-neck pullover already exists.  Clearly I am missing something.

True. Black wouldn't go well with Air Force Blue. We need to start a Riot!  ;D

Wright Brothers #13915

DC

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on September 05, 2009, 07:28:05 PM
Why do we even have the CSU? We have the blazer/gray pants uniform, which is a legal, nonmilitary uniform. Isn't that enough? That the Powers That Be didn't ratify the CSU via CAPM 39-1 in a timely fashion means it's dead, if we follow our own regulations.

If the Powers That Be cared enough about the CSU to make sure it stayed around, would they have at least included it in a quick supplement to CAPM 39-1?

What gripes me about it is this: We have regulations governing how policy is made. If we're going to ignore those, what other regulations will it be convenient for leadership to blow off? And if they can blow it off, so can we. Leadership by example.

So the National Board keeps on building on the CSU even though they haven't made it a permanent addition to the closet via a change to CAPM 39-1. Do they realize there's an oversight? Do they realize ICLs only last six months, then they're dead without a followup regulation change? Or are they deliberately not codifying it because they know the Air Force will countermand it? If that's the case, folks, that's just shady.

These are important issues, folks. If the National Board can't even follow CAP regulations, regulations don't mean anything to any of us. And that's not good.
Let's not start this again, shall we?

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: DC on September 05, 2009, 08:32:45 PM
Why do we even have the CSU? We have the blazer/gray pants uniform, which is a legal, nonmilitary uniform. Isn't that enough? That the Powers That Be didn't ratify the CSU via CAPM 39-1 in a timely fashion means it's dead, if we follow our own regulations.

If the Powers That Be cared enough about the CSU to make sure it stayed around, would they have at least included it in a quick supplement to CAPM 39-1?

What gripes me about it is this: We have regulations governing how policy is made. If we're going to ignore those, what other regulations will it be convenient for leadership to blow off? And if they can blow it off, so can we. Leadership by example.

So the National Board keeps on building on the CSU even though they haven't made it a permanent addition to the closet via a change to CAPM 39-1. Do they realize there's an oversight? Do they realize ICLs only last six months, then they're dead without a followup regulation change? Or are they deliberately not codifying it because they know the Air Force will countermand it? If that's the case, folks, that's just shady.

These are important issues, folks. If the National Board can't even follow CAP regulations, regulations don't mean anything to any of us. And that's not good.
Let's not start this again, shall we?

I KNOW, I KNOW! But the principle is important. It goes to the core values. It goes to "do as I say, not as I do."

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

billford1

Does anybody have a summary  of what was covered / voted on?

Eclipse

Give me a break.  There's no point in this argument, at least not here.  Next time you are before the board, bring it up.

NHQ has made it perfectly clear that they intend to continue to govern via ICL.

Salute and execute.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2009, 09:45:13 PM

Give me a break.  There's no point in this argument, at least not here.  Next time you are before the board, bring it up.

NHQ has made it perfectly clear that they intend to continue to govern via ICL.

Salute and execute.

The CSU is here to stay.  It has been invested in by countless CAP Officers and I would, at this time for that reason, fight against its removal citing that as grounds.

As I understand it, CAPM 39-1 is in rewrite "development HECK" and when it does come out it will address the CSU.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

PHall

Quote from: Major Carrales on September 05, 2009, 10:48:20 PM
The CSU is here to stay.  It has been invested in by countless CAP Officers and I would, at this time for that reason, fight against its removal citing that as grounds.

That hasn't stopped them before, why should it now?

Lancer

Quote from: PHall on September 05, 2009, 11:25:01 PM

Retention maybe? the CSU is my uniform, if they lose it...they lose me, and I'm sure the countless others who have spent many hundreds of dollars on it.

Johnny Yuma

I'm watching the banquet...

Make the bad Sinatra impersonator stop!!!!!
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

PHall

Quote from: Lancer on September 05, 2009, 11:39:19 PM

Retention maybe? the CSU is my uniform, if they lose it...they lose me, and I'm sure the countless others who have spent many hundreds of dollars on it.

If losing "your" uniform is enough to make you quit, then maybe you need to ask yourself why you're even a member.

Lancer

Quote from: PHall on September 06, 2009, 01:45:55 AM
If losing "your" uniform is enough to make you quit, then maybe you need to ask yourself why you're even a member.

I haven't lost my uniform yet and I ask myself that question all the time!  ;D

It is still a valid reason. Personally, I don't know why so many people have hatred for it. So what if it came about during Pineda's leadership (or lack thereof). I certainly like it better than the white/gray's.  I've seen SO many people wear that combo and look totally, un-militaristic and sloppy.

Major Carrales

It will now, even though that "democracy" thing is hooey for CAP, good leadership understands the idea of looking out for its followers.  To loose this uniform, when so many have spent money (legitimately) on it merely because of certain people's "fashion" sense or other arbitrary notion would be folley.

And, before anyone seeks to point out that disconnection between high leadership and the field exists by saying "remember who you are talking about, his is CAPNHQ" I will remind you that they are not quite the "idiots" people here sometimes make them out to be.  In fact, many of them are CAPTALKERS that use this as a device to gauge public opinion, a reality that often results in people's propensity for posting their "wish lists" in hopes one of them will smile down upon those desires.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

I think you are missing the point.  The point for Lancer seems not to be the old "uniform" issue that people bring up when the discussion turns to eliminating USAF style and going to GOLF SHIRTS; but rather that a significant expense has been made and is canceled, after a distinctly long period of time, based on arbitrary means.

The CSU, has been a CAP uniform since 2007...it has been sold since before the 2009 National Board in Atlanta.  I have seen it, contrary to the disproportionate rants against it here, word by a great number of CAP officers at Wing Conferences and in CAP media.

It, my friends, is here to stay. 

I have not purchased it, mostly because I have feared that it would be dropped.  However, many have and have need for it.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: Lancer on September 06, 2009, 01:57:14 AM

It is still a valid reason. Personally, I don't know why so many people have hatred for it. So what if it came about during Pineda's leadership (or lack thereof). I certainly like it better than the white/gray's.  I've seen SO many people wear that combo and look totally, un-militaristic and sloppy.

I have to point out the disingenuous nature of the "Pineda" angle on this uniform.  While he was in command of CAP when it came out, I think it is more likely that the CAP leadership at the Region Level and Wing Commanders at the time had an equal hand in generating this uniform.

Remember, contrary to the rants of many on this board both past and present, the National Commander is not an all encompassing dictator whose word is law.  No action of a CAP National Commander can be assigned to being only his/her fault or whim.  Also, if it was offensive to the USAF, then the CAP-USAF commander would have "nipped it in the bud" right then and there.

As I remember clearly and distinctly, there was a general call to return to metal rank and such on service coats. This was a boisterous call from lots of long time CAP Members and likely was loud in the ears of Wing, Region and National.  A solution to the matter was obviously reached in the creation of this uniform.  In fact, taking all into account, it likely goes down as one of the most perfect "compromises" in CAP, if not human, history.

It is a USAF style like uniform with metal rank that does not offend the USAF.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

IceNine

Make it stop.

How many times a day to you guys need to tell people to re-evaluate why they are members? 

If I spent 500 on a uniform, it was the only one I had, and it went the way of the VX-150.  I would seriously reconsider my membership too.

As would you and everyone else around.  And to say that spending that kind of coin just to have the item taken away as soon as you paid off the credit card bill wouldn't bring you to the boiling point is nonsense.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

flyguy06

So, why did you guys even buy the new uniform? Why not just keep what you had. I hjave never owned the CSU nor do I ever plan to purchase one.

btw how did this thread about the National Board turn into a uniform discussion?

A.Member

Quote from: flyguy06 on September 06, 2009, 08:06:57 AM
btw how did this thread about the National Board turn into a uniform discussion?
Because the fashion unconscious proposed and passed the addition of a black army sweater to go with their dark blue airforce style trousers.  Just keeping a bad uniform alive.  ;)  :P

This uniform stuff does get too much play.  I was still hoping to get some answers about our vice commander.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

arajca

On a different not, the Comm Mangers' Meeting is on.

JCJ

Quote from: A.Member on September 06, 2009, 02:23:57 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on September 06, 2009, 08:06:57 AM
Because the fashion unconscious proposed and passed the addition of a black army sweater to go with their dark blue airforce style trousers.  Just keeping a bad uniform alive.  ;)  :P

This uniform stuff does get too much play.  I was still hoping to get some answers about our vice commander.

You mean our National CV?  What would you like to know?

RiverAux

There is a fairly detailed press release about his background on CAP News Online.