Main Menu

5.56 NATO Rd. question.

Started by RogueLeader, April 11, 2009, 01:19:46 AM

RogueLeader

For a reason that I can't fully disclose; can 5.56 blanks be fired out of a .223 rem weapon that has a BFA? Same for standard 5.56 Ball

I know that they will chamber, as they are the same size round, but I heard that it might not be a good idea.

Thoughts?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Sorry, on blackberry.

FYI, there is an article about the extremely slight differences between 5.56 and .223 in the current SWAT magazine.  Unless you're a ballistics expert and study the stragectory of the round, you'll never know the difference.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Should've just PMed UK, unless you are buying rounds for a CAP activity.... Less than likely.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Let's see.  He's at CCOC, posted in that thread that they MAY be shooting, now he's asking about the compatability of .223 with AR type rifles...

intersting...  Should have PM'd me.
Serving since 1987.

Johnny Yuma

5.56 and .223 dimensions the same, case wise.

The differences lie in rifle chamberings (5.56 throat is shorter) and resulting cartridge pressure. 5.56 is actually hotter pressure-wise by about 5,000psi. due to the short throat of the weapon.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

MIKE

Quote from: Stonewall on April 11, 2009, 01:44:26 AM
Let's see.  He's at CCOC, posted in that thread that they MAY be shooting, now he's asking about the compatability of .223 with AR type rifles...

intersting...  Should have PM'd me.

Ok, when you read his latest CCOC post it makes sense... but taken alone it seems like a random not necessarily relevant thread.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Yeah, I'm just enjoying some time at a local establishment, making eyes with the locals and looking like a geek on my crackberry.  Just having fun...
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

I'm telling Sandy!  :o

Edit: On topic, don't some services not like it when you fire non-government brass in a government piece... I have heard differently depending.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Sandy's the one that sent me out for some R&R.

BOT:  I can't speak for all units in the military, but across the board, shooting anything out of a military issue weapon is a huge violation. Its just not done; isn't acceptable.

Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

No, gov. brass with civ weapon at mil range.  It's a DPMS A-15, think M-4 that only fires semi.

I don't think that it would be an issue getting my M-4 out of the Arms room from my Company, but I also want to get my weapon zeroed if I can.  we'll see.

I could also buy some 7.62 blanks for me civ AK. . . . . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Major Lord

I have fired my DPMS AR with 5.56 military "grenade" blanks ( as opposed to "parade" blanks) with a golf ball launcher and they worked well and did not detonate in my chamber. I use live .223 and 5.56 interchangeable in my AR with no problems, even though there are differences in chamber pressure. I prefer Black Hill Match .223 ammo for long range shooting.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

es_g0d

I'm curious why this topic has been left in "The Lobby," while the deaths of CAP members in an airplane quickly and always gets moved to "Aviation" post haste.  This particular topic probably has no business on a CAP board, so I can't suggest where I'd put it.

Grumpiness aside, I like this kind of thing too.  My only concern would be with excessive fouling of the barrel / gas tube after firing too many blanks.  I've had it happen to me...  Similarly, if you fire a lot of unjacketed lead ammo (such as through a .22 adapter) it can leave lead in the grooves.  Simply fire a few good 'ol standard ball ammo to clean it out.  Regular cleanings will prevent fouling.

How's that for a mixed message?  :D
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

flyguy06

I must admit, this post is not CAP related yet it remains and I know posts that have been locked because they werent CAP related. Also, this is a particulary interesting post. The guy is asking about ammunition. military ammuniation. In a time where people are taking weapons and walking into establishments doing harm to other citizens. I worry sometimes about people and their questions.

Not making accusations, but I dont know this person and his original post is very "secretive" For reasons I cant disclose" If he cant disclose the reason for asking, then he probably shouldnt be asking. He asked if a certain type of ammo canbe fired fro a certain type of weapon. . Yeah, I'm just gonna come out and say it.........SCARY :o

Rob Sherlin

Well, he was just asking about "blanks", but you can do a lot with just the knowledge of knowing the "blanks" will work or not. I'm not implying anything, but it does kinda' seem like an odd question when you open it by saying you can't disclose information on what's going on.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

flyguy06

Being that i am not an ammo expert, I didnt think about that but you are correct. So the common citizen would assume anything based on his statements.  Like you said, "odd" and in this day and age with so much violence, you really cant take any chances.

The other point I am making is to the MODS. They have gotten reall strict about relevant to CAP posts on here lately.

Rob Sherlin

In my opinion, I really think we should not discuss weapon or ammo modifications here on this board (if you want to do it in private,,,that's another thing). If you're talking about a CAP shooting event, then I would assume you are supposed to use the right caliber and ammo for what you are shooting....Otherwise, you're on your own if something happens because of it.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Major Lord

I think we can safely assume that Aaron is not a school shooter. My use for blanks came up in the capacity of trying to put together a line throwing gun for Search and Rescue, as well as antenna placement. I look at Aaron's question in good faith, and I don't assume that questions from members about aircraft might suggest they intend to pilot a jet into a building. I know the issue of CAP/JROTC, and other  cadets having an honor guard and firing blanks has been raised before, and his question could have easily been in this vein. ( please, no need to respond on CAP's views on firing parties) This is a privately run board, not a CAP board per se, so the Mods get to be the final arbiters of whats relevant, but I think CAP members have wide and varied interests and its unfair to decide out of hand that something is out of bounds. Now if he had asked about how to make ANFO, I might be worried.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

flyguy06

I agree with you. But i dont know Aaron. And of course askiing about aircraft doesnt raise my eyebrows. We are an aviation organization full of pilots. I expect discussions about aircraft.

Ok, i will remember you said that when i ask a question and see if it gets locked or not.  ;D

Rob Sherlin

I somewhat understand if it's for Honor Guard wanting to shoot "hard to find" blanks. I have spent many years with "black powder" weapons, and you would not believe some of the things you can fire out of them with great destruction...I once fired an arrow for my longbow out of my musket, and it went through a cinder block ( the big grey ones), through the garage and into a palm tree behind it (to the point where we could not dislodge it). Where I lived a while in Columbia, CA. (a rebuilt ghost town from the gold rush), they had a stage coach ride, and my buddy had a job of robbing the coach along it's ride. He was just using an old Colt "Peacemaker" and fired blanks. You put something in the barrel and fire the blank, it might as well be a bullet! So, you can understand the concern here. Whether it be blanks or not, what is the secrecy for?

PS.....I think I just proved that modifying and firing something out of a hand held firearm, is not the same as getting a hold of a jet and flying it into a building.

Additional PS...The musket with the arrow would definitely work as a line thrower...SHHH! I didn't say that!