CAP Fundraiser: "Online Mall"

Started by A.Member, October 31, 2008, 08:34:31 PM

A.Member

I'll be the first to admit that I'm often critical of some of the action (or inaction) from NHQ.  However, I also want to point out when I think they've done something well.  The "Online Mall" initiative is something from national that is deserving of some applause. 

Naturally, I still have a number of questions and the communication could/should provide a lot detail but overall the fact that are pursuing such programs is encouraging; it's that initiative that I applaud.  The dollars brought in by some squadrons may prove trivial but, in other cases, the potential exists to generate enough funds to supplement squadron awards or other unit based activities.

Another thing I'd like to see national promote is payroll deduction of charitable contributions to CAP.  A number of  larger employers allow for this but it is rarely publicized.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

jimmydeanno

Quote from: A.Member on October 31, 2008, 08:34:31 PM
The dollars brought in by some squadrons may prove trivial but, in other cases, the potential exists to generate enough funds to supplement squadron awards or other unit based activities.

I think that while the effort is good, the way it is done will dilute its effectiveness.  The members of my squadron spent aproximately $1,500 with a return of $5.29.  So if we spent $15,000 we would make $52.99.  It really is a trivial amount when you divide it between all the squadrons.  If it were lumped together the lump sum would be larger and I think would make more of an impact.

But while we're talking about things we'd like to see as fundraisers...

1) Planned giving
2) Payroll Deductions
3) Letters to the members asking for donations
4) A "donate here" button that links to a paypal account or something on cap.gov

You'll probably say, "Those are all geared at the members."  But if you look, there isn't a single non-profit that doesn't hit up it's own members every year for money, except ours.  If your own members aren't willing to support your missions, who is?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JAFO78

I would like to see any of my money spent go to my group, and not to National. I feel National gets money their from the boys and girls in D.C.
JAFO

Pumbaa

This is nothing more than a cheap gimmick. 

CAP is already bleeding members through Vangaurd and they are now going to throw us the bone with this garbage??? BOHICA!!! No Thank You!!!! How about the royalties/ profits that CAP gets from the VG sales go back to the Squadrons, based on members purchases?

I was given [mess] for going to a national defense contractor (National wants their cut) and getting funds from them for our Squadron.  Here I get 2 - $1000 donations and I am given grief. So now we can tell people go shopping at this mall thing and we get a $50 or so based on $15k of sales?  Are we that stupid to fall for this?

I will not have our cadets car washes, sell crap, etc...  how about dignified fund raising?  How about National think about the squadrons and members for a change?

National needs to re-think and act on a better policy on funding squadrons.

Subverting curse filter - MIKE

A.Member

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 31, 2008, 10:08:51 PM
Quote from: A.Member on October 31, 2008, 08:34:31 PM
The dollars brought in by some squadrons may prove trivial but, in other cases, the potential exists to generate enough funds to supplement squadron awards or other unit based activities.

I think that while the effort is good, the way it is done will dilute its effectiveness.  The members of my squadron spent aproximately $1,500 with a return of $5.29.  So if we spent $15,000 we would make $52.99.  It really is a trivial amount when you divide it between all the squadrons.  If it were lumped together the lump sum would be larger and I think would make more of an impact.
Hmmm...that doesn't sound right.  Even with those numbers you're getting less than the 2%.  Are you certain those numbers are correct and were for this program?  I've done some follow up on this.  What I've founf so far is that only one check has gone out so far and it was for $100.  Funds will be sent to the squadron account at Wing but the squadron commander will recieve an e-mail confirmation on the deposit as well.  Contributions will vary by retailer and right now a break-down on % by retailer isn't available but anywhere between 2 and 15% should be returned.   The key is that items must be purchased on-line and user must go through the CAP portal in order for donations to occur.  This is an easy way for squadrons to raise money by purchasing goods that you were going to buy anyway.

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 31, 2008, 10:08:51 PMBut while we're talking about things we'd like to see as fundraisers...

1) Planned giving
2) Payroll Deductions
3) Letters to the members asking for donations
4) A "donate here" button that links to a paypal account or something on cap.gov

You'll probably say, "Those are all geared at the members."  But if you look, there isn't a single non-profit that doesn't hit up it's own members every year for money, except ours.  If your own members aren't willing to support your missions, who is?
I agree.  And I don't have an issue with us targeting our own members if it's providing value.  Many organizations look to their own members for funds first.  It's kind of fundraising 101. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

arajca

A couple of items:
1. Most of us - and other CAP members - will do some kind of on-line shopping.
2. These are major name retailers with good qualiity stuff (generally speaking, of course).
3. The retailers are not upcharging for this program.
4. The amount the member pays is the same whether or not they use this program.
5. Units, if the member makes the correct selection, get money. Admittedly, it's not alot, but it's still more than they had before, with no major work.

While National would like everyone to not drill down to their unit (then they get to keep the money), if you take the few extra seconds, it helps the unit you care most about - yours.

I think this is one of the few items that actually could help units that National has put out.

RiverAux

How about CAP returning a percentage of their royalties/licensing fees/whatever they call them from Vanguard back to the unit the member is in? 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: A.Member on November 01, 2008, 03:56:59 AM
Hmmm...that doesn't sound right.  Even with those numbers you're getting less than the 2%.  Are you certain those numbers are correct and were for this program?  I've done some follow up on this.  What I've founf so far is that only one check has gone out so far and it was for $100.  Funds will be sent to the squadron account at Wing but the squadron commander will recieve an e-mail confirmation on the deposit as well.  Contributions will vary by retailer and right now a break-down on % by retailer isn't available but anywhere between 2 and 15% should be returned.   The key is that items must be purchased on-line and user must go through the CAP portal in order for donations to occur.  This is an easy way for squadrons to raise money by purchasing goods that you were going to buy anyway.

I'm not joking - that is eactly what we got.  One of our members bought a laptop and we bought some office supplies, etc and that was the return.  Payment was made in July.  We haven't used it since, it definitely wasn't worth it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Cecil DP

What I didn't like was the notation that some refund checks were too small to process. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RiverAux

Another option would be to only do it as a fundraiser at a Wing level.  If the squadron is only getting a couple of bucks, it ain't really worth it.  But, if you're getting a thousand or two at the Wing level that at least concentrates the donation to a point where it might actually make a difference. 

I know not everybody is interested in helping out their wing, but they do need funding also.

Pumbaa

It seems right now the way things are set up is "Every man For Himself", with national taking the lions share and handicapping the Squadrons and members and bleeding them of more $$$ through questionable business royalty arrangements.

I am supposed to ask permission every time I approach the Lockheed's or BEA's for corporate support for our squadron, and then get {MESS} from above.  Then we get {MESSED} upon again being forced to buy from a single source supplier...  We need a Squadron Flag and are being forced to go through Vanguard because of the 'copyright' issue.  $368.50!!!!!  GIVE ME A BREAK!!  And we are told we can earn $$ through these gimmicks?  no Thanks. 

How about SUPPORTING the local squadron and the VOLUNTEERS!?!?!?!?!

This whole thing is a scandal

RiverAux

You might want to remember that prior to the switch to Vanguard, CAP was basically losing money on the whole CAP Mart/CAP Bookstore operation.  Now, at least the organization is supposedly making a little bit of money.  Hardly call that a scandal.  Name any national organization you want and I bet they're selling something to their members which returns a bit of profit to them as a fundraiser. 

A.Member

Quote from: Pumbaa on November 01, 2008, 03:42:02 PM
It seems right now the way things are set up is "Every man For Himself", with national taking the lions share and handicapping the Squadrons and members and bleeding them of more $$$ through questionable business royalty arrangements.

I am supposed to ask permission every time I approach the Lockheed's or BEA's for corporate support for our squadron, and then get {MESS} from above.  Then we get {MESSED} upon again being forced to buy from a single source supplier...  We need a Squadron Flag and are being forced to go through Vanguard because of the 'copyright' issue.  $368.50!!!!!  GIVE ME A BREAK!!  And we are told we can earn $$ through these gimmicks?  no Thanks. 

How about SUPPORTING the local squadron and the VOLUNTEERS!?!?!?!?!

This whole thing is a scandal
Got it the first time.  If you want to continue the rant, please start another thread.  It has nothing to do with this topic.

Pumbaa

It has EVERYTHING to do with this thread.

This is about a gimmick that is supposed to appease squadrons, make members think that national actually cares.

And I will will continue to voice the issue, thank you very much.  You've got a problem with me voicing my opinion, then take it to PM.

Otherwise I am just as free as you are to post my thoughts and concerns.

A.Member

Quote from: Pumbaa on November 01, 2008, 05:36:41 PM
It has EVERYTHING to do with this thread.

This is about a gimmick that is supposed to appease squadrons, make members think that national actually cares.

And I will will continue to voice the issue, thank you very much.  You've got a problem with me voicing my opinion, then take it to PM.

Otherwise I am just as free as you are to post my thoughts and concerns.
No, it doesn't.  As the originator of the thread, I can assure you there was absolutely no intention to have yet another myopic whine session about how Vanguard operates or your personal issues related to National.  As you indicated, you're free to gripe about that all you want...just do it in another thread; either start your own or continue in one of the umpteen others that already exist.  I've said my peace.

CAPLAW

You know how you resolve this issue?  Top Leadership(NHQ) NEEDS to put the member first, You can get stuff made a a better price than Vanguard.  I bet my memberhip on it.You could get a squadron flag made for $100.  Why is it that I can get my blue slides  for $2.50 at Military clothing sales and Vanguard chargers like 10 or 12 bucks.   Look at are leadership at the top.CEO'S and the other country club groupies.  I think money is not a issue for them.  We keep feeding this ugly giant and it needs to stop.  We are volunteers and not servants for the those who play with this organization.   We are strying away from being the AIR FORCE AUXILIARY.  CAP is becoming more of a club everyday.  Next thing you know we are going to be going door to door selling cookies.

KyCAP

Does the income from Vanguard appear in any published budgets?  I would imagine its in an income statement in the financials some where.   

Also, contractually if they are supposed to make x% of net profit then leadership should be able to examine that as well.

And just what is the contractual obligation that keeps vanguard motivated to offer good service?  1YR 5YR 10YR and rebid or are they just "in" for ever?   CDW re-bids their supply source from the channel "quarterly" to keep people honest.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

KyCAP

Back on topic ..

Just this week, myself and another member started "inquiring" about our purchases through this portal because to our knowledge the "wing" had received 0 dollars from the program and of course neither had our squadron. 
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

Cecil DP

Quote from: KyCAP on November 01, 2008, 11:47:10 PM
Back on topic ..

Just this week, myself and another member started "inquiring" about our purchases through this portal because to our knowledge the "wing" had received 0 dollars from the program and of course neither had our squadron. 

TAken from the e-mail generated by NATCAP   
For most of the units, it costs CAP more than the funds raised to electronically transfer the money or to send paper checks.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

cnitas

QuoteFor most of the units, it costs CAP more than the funds raised to electronically transfer the money or to send paper checks.

So lets assume $1 to print a check from the computer, $1 for the envelope, .42 for the stamp, and $1 for the time spent by a paid employee per check.

That is $3.42

If most squadrons cannot earn more than $5 with this 'mall', I think I will concentrate my fundraising efforts elsewhere.

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003