Upset by How People Treat Us

Started by 2ltAlexD, June 01, 2008, 05:03:13 PM

2ltAlexD

Yes, I just can't stand when people say we have nothing to do with the Air Force. I was raised in a military family, so I was taught how important auxiliarists are. My dad described us as those that aid the Air Force in things here at home when the combat Airmen are at war.
Des Moines Metro Cadet Squadron

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: TapsBugler on June 02, 2008, 10:20:22 PM
Yes, I just can't stand when people say we have nothing to do with the Air Force. I was raised in a military family, so I was taught how important auxiliarists are. My dad described us as those that aid the Air Force in things here at home when the combat Airmen are at war.

I've always said that we do many of the Air Force's humanitarian missions.

jpnelson82

Quote from: wingnut on June 02, 2008, 05:29:30 AM
When you are asked: " What is Civil Air Patrol?" I always begin with. . .

Our country was at WAR, the world was at War! and the good guys were loosing. Along came the volunteer Pilots, Mechanics, the Aviator Men and Women who flew against the German and Japanese (Yes Grass Hopper, Japanese). Men and Women who for the first days of WWII, flew their own planes, using their money for fuel, maintenance, food. CAP was born. The first Air Medals of WW2 then I morph into the 911 and who we are today, the Cadet Program, Homeland Security, etc, etc. Practice it ,I  can deliver it in a 3 minute lecture, and I mean Lecture. We are Moms Apple Pie, we are the American way, We are the Civil Air Patrol.

Excuse me while I stand up and salute!   ;D :clap:

you don't mind if I give this to my Sqdn's  PAO, do you? that's a better speech than our USAF auxiliary, 95% of inland search and rescue schpiel. That last bit might look nice on a t-shirt........
Captain Nelson, John P.
SWR-AZ-064 (senior)
SER-GA-116 (cadet)

Mitchell Award 43981
Earhart Award 10643
IACE 2000

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 01, 2008, 09:52:14 PM
A few weeks ago, we stopped for pizza after a mission, and some mouthy jerk said to me "What's with you guys?  Couldn't you make it in the Real Air Force?"  I loudly said:  "Sure, I was making it just fine until that last incident.  I'm still not supposed to talk about it, but it was the one involving the bottle of Wesson Oil, the general's daughter, and a duck."

Mr. Bigmouth left the restaurant while everybody was laughing.  Not only the CAP guys but ALL the customers and staff.
You owe me a keyboard, pal.  ;D

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

proveritas

Quote"Sure, I was making it just fine until that last incident.  I'm still not supposed to talk about it, but it was the one involving the bottle of Wesson Oil, the general's daughter, and a duck."

>:D That one got me a dirty look from the librarian...

Bit of a thread drift here, but what's everyone's favorite line when you get those "huh?" looks? I usually mumble something like "We're a volunteer auxiliary of the Air Force..." and the official SAR pablum, but my inner salesman rebels.  :-\
Hannah

mikeylikey

Quote from: proveritas on June 05, 2008, 06:50:05 PM
[quoteBit of a thread drift here, but what's everyone's favorite line when you get those "huh?" looks?

Usually I say "Sorry buddy, I'm married".  OR for the ladies, "yes I am sexier than your boyfriend".   :D
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

That's my point.  We don't have to take a back seat to anybody.  We do MORE missions and MORE flying than most AF types, and I'm real sure we do more than reservists.

I think it is time we met attitude with attitude.  You crack on me and the uniform I'm wearing, stand by!  You just challenged me to a battle of wits, and you're only half prepared!

"What... do have every ribbon they issue?"

"Every one except the Good Conduct Medal!"
Another former CAP officer

flyerthom

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 05, 2008, 10:16:00 PM
That's my point.  We don't have to take a back seat to anybody.  We do MORE missions and MORE flying than most AF types, and I'm real sure we do more than reservists.

I think it is time we met attitude with attitude.  You crack on me and the uniform I'm wearing, stand by!  You just challenged me to a battle of wits, and you're only half prepared!

"What... do have every ribbon they issue?"

"Every one except the Good Conduct Medal!"

I was at a wilderness medicine seminar. An instructor explained the difference between a search dog and a police dog  is; a search dog is find 'em and lick 'em, a police dog is find them and bite 'em!  Same team different roles.

CAP = find 'em and lick 'em, AF = find 'em and bomb 'em. S same team different roles.
TC

addo1

My experiences with this is that most people are, like said above, just have to look down on others to look higher themselves.  This usually happens when I might wear my uniform to school.  The first time I ever did it a while back they did just about all the above things mentioned.  I wore it last month, and I could see a big differencesince the first time. Their scorn had actually turned to respect after hearing more about what we really do.  When I am out in my uniform, it tend to get more people coming up to me and "thanking me for my service." I respond to that telling them about what we do in CAP, and as Recruiter, give them an invite to come and experience it for themselves.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

JayT

Quote from: addo1 on June 07, 2008, 12:00:52 AM
  My experiences with this is that most people are, like said above, just have to look down on others to look higher themselves.  This usually happens when I might wear my uniform to school.  The first time I ever did it a while back they did just about all the above things mentioned.  I wore it last month, and I could see a big differencesince the first time. Their scorn had actually turned to respect after hearing more about what we really do.  When I am out in my uniform, it tend to get more people coming up to me and "thanking me for my service." I respond to that telling them about what we do in CAP, and as Recruiter, give them an invite to come and experience it for themselves.

Why were you at school in uniform?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

addo1

I knew this question would come up.  I DO NOT do it as a regular thing, but I do it once a year, as the Cadet Recruiter.  I had permission from my commander and from my school authorities as well.. Does that answer your question? 
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

PhoenixRisen

Was it an officially-organized recruiting event, or were you simply walking around school hoping people would question the uniform? 

If the latter - it's still not "official" and the uniform shouldn't be worn, even if a commander gives the OK.

addo1

It was the first one...  We do a lot of recruiting.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

mikeylikey

Quote from: addo1 on June 07, 2008, 12:05:14 AM
  I knew this question would come up.  I DO NOT do it as a regular thing, but I do it once a year, as the Cadet Recruiter.  I had permission from my commander and from my school authorities as well.. Does that answer your question? 

School said Ok, CAP said OK. 

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on June 07, 2008, 06:34:54 AM
Was it an officially-organized recruiting event, or were you simply walking around school hoping people would question the uniform? 

If the latter - it's still not "official" and the uniform shouldn't be worn, even if a commander gives the OK.

Sounds Official to me.

Get off his case.
What's up monkeys?

Major Carrales

At the School where I teach  (we have a Flight of cadets that meets after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the school year) the Principal and School Officials have approved the CAP uniform on these days (Service Dress on Tuesdays and BDUs on Thursdays).

The participating Cadets 1) Post the Colors in the Gym in the morning, 2) provide services to the School, like help in the Library, office or attendance (after completing in class assignments and home work) and 3) display a need element of "pride" that a well worn uniform instills.

Additionally, they also (twice this last year) were given permission to walk to a neighboring elementary school and give an AE presentation to the Kinder there.

I was with them, since I work there and am driving the program (eventually hoping for a school unit)  School said OK and the SQUADRON COMMANDER said OK, it is a CAP activity that have paid in spades on numerous levels.

Got a problem with that?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

^ I have no problem at all with that.  I support things like what you detailed. 

I wish more units would get active in the schools.
What's up monkeys?

addo1

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 07, 2008, 05:31:33 PM
At the School where I teach  (we have a Flight of cadets that meets after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the school year) the Principal and School Officials have approved the CAP uniform on these days (Service Dress on Tuesdays and BDUs on Thursdays).

The participating Cadets 1) Post the Colors in the Gym in the morning, 2) provide services to the School, like help in the Library, office or attendance (after completing in class assignments and home work) and 3) display a need element of "pride" that a well worn uniform instills.

Additionally, they also (twice this last year) were given permission to walk to a neighboring elementary school and give an AE presentation to the Kinder there.

I was with them, since I work there and am driving the program (eventually hoping for a school unit)  School said OK and the SQUADRON COMMANDER said OK, it is a CAP activity that have paid in spades on numerous levels.

Got a problem with that?

I really like that, Major.  That is a neat idea.  Yes, being the cadet recruiter, I have several cadets in my school who are in CAP.  My father is also a Lt. in CAP and is involved with the district.  I, like you mentioned, have been asked to come and do an AE presentation at the middle school next year, with the Lt., so I probably will. 
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 07, 2008, 05:35:11 PM
^ I have no problem at all with that.  I support things like what you detailed. 

I wish more units would get active in the schools.

Thank you, I agree that CAP needs to be involved in Schools.  It has really paid off and offered cadets opportunities that, if otherwise, woudl have been missed in favor of more hours of "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" or worse, the real thing.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: addo1 on June 07, 2008, 05:38:22 PM

Got a problem with that?

I really like that, Major.  That is a neat idea.  Yes, being the cadet recruiter, I have several cadets in my school who are in CAP.  My father is also a Lt. in CAP and is involved with the district.  I, like you mentioned, have been asked to come and do an AE presentation at the middle school next year, with the Lt., so I probably will. 

If you had a teacher in place interested in doing CAP "of their own free time" as an after school program and then develop towards a SCHOOOL UNIT it can have great results.  I have taken it slowly, but with good result.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

PhoenixRisen

Got a problem with that?

I guess it's the way I've been indoctrinated taught by my former squadron commander.   ::)

Almost everything (if not everything) we ask to do it turned into non-CAP activites, and thus, uniforms can't be worn.  I said what I said because doing such has been asked numerous times (in my squadron), and it's always gotten the same response.  "It's not an official CAP activity.  No uniforms."

We've passed up a ton of outstanding recruiting events because my squadron commander didn't deem it appropriate enough to be a "CAP activity" (and there was nothing wrong with these places in which we'd ask to recruit - most of which included schools).

Sorry if I came across with an attitude (or anything else), I was simply expressing what I was indoctrinated taught.