Main Menu

PAWG shuts down

Started by mikeylikey, April 14, 2008, 08:02:38 PM

tjaxe

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 15, 2008, 03:09:08 AM
Quote from: FW on April 15, 2008, 02:47:37 AM
LT, thank you for your opinion. however, I would suggest you add your name to the list of those who should take the ORM course.....  
To repeat:" Safety IS Job 1."  

I checked out the ORM course, and have to say it should be required CAP-Wide.  It is a decent DOD/AF product.  PAWG members only have to comply with the first module and test, and send WING HQ the proof they did it, but the entire thing taken together in its entirety is great.  

MikeyLikey:
would you know what kind of proof of test completion is needed? Does the test spit out a completion cert or something?  Thanks!!!!!   :(

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

Tubacap

^Please reference your chain of command for current requirements of PAWG.  PM me if you need more information.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

John Bryan

I think people are getting stuck on priority vs mission

Safety is not our mission .....our mission is AE, CP, and ES. Our 1st priority in those missions needs to be safety.

This is the same everywere. The poster at a Ford plant may say "Safety is job #1" but if you are so safe you never build a car , unemployment will be job #2. The mission is to build a car , but you have to do that safely or you will have poor labor relations, low production , and law suits out the #$#!

In CAP a lot of our support people have this problem. I know a lot of comm guys bless their hearts think those radio are their personel play things and forget way we have a comm program.

FW

Just in from the PAWG/CC:

----- Original Message -----

To All Pennsylvania Members:

This past weekend, April 11 - 14, 2008, the U.S. Air Force and National Headquarters of the Civil Air Patrol conducted the scheduled Compliance Inspection of our PA Wing.  

We are proud to announce that the preliminary Grade for the Wing is SUCCESSFUL.  A successful grade means PA Wing is meeting and exceeding National standards.  The membership of the Wing is trending up, Professional Development is far exceeding standards, and Cadet Programs and Emergency Services are second to none.

However, despite this Grade, the inspection team also found what it has termed a lack of "a culture of Safety".  This has resulted in a Safety Rating of UNSATISFACTORY which overshadows the other positive findings.  The mere perception that our program could be unsafe should concern every PA member and requires our immediate attention.

Because of the Unsatisfactory Safety Rating, ALL MISSION activity has been suspended at this time.  Please be aware that no aircraft or vehicle may be moved or operated without prior approval of the National Commander or the Region Commander.  The Air Force Rescue Coordination Center and appropriate local agencies have been notified.  The surrounding Wings have been notified and will process all missions in PA until further notified.

Accordingly, immediate action must be taken to remedy this situation and we must recommit ourselves to safety excellence, as follows:

1.         100% completion of Annual Safety Surveys CAPR 62-1 attachment 1 by all Squadron Units and Groups.  After the unit has completed the Annual Safety Survey, e-mail the PDF to PAWGCAP@AOL.COM or fax a copy of the completed form to PAWG HQ at 717-861-2164.

2.         All Squadron Units, Groups, and Wing members will submit a Safety Schedule of Events for FY08.  Please also e-mail or fax the Safety Schedule to PAWG HQ.

3.         100% completion of Air Force online Operational Risk Management (see attached file: 10 Second ORM.pdf).  After viewing the attachment reply to safetyinspection@pawingcap.com with your CAP ID and Name in the subject line.

4.         100% completion of inspection of all Corporate Vehicles in accordance with CAPR 77-1 and CAPF 73.  All Vehicle OIC's must fax the signed copy of form 73 to PAWG HQ

5.         100% completion of inspection of all Corporate Aircraft in accordance with CAPF 71.  All Aircraft OIC's must fax the signed copy of the form 71 to PAWG HQ

To accomplish our goal of restoring mission activity as soon as possible, it is critical that we have all responses by close of business ( 5 p.m. ) Thursday April 17, 2008.

We acknowledge that this is a difficult time for all the members of the Wing, but this is also the Wing's opportunity to refocus itself on safety.  It is critical to remember at this juncture that NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, is more important.  Remember as you complete the above requirements and exercises that safety training is not about checking a box or filling out a form, but rather about creating an operating environment that is safe not just for ourselves, but for our fellow members, friends, family and the Commonwealth.  Together we will succeed.  

Thank you for your support and your renewed dedication to our safety mission.  Your cooperation and prompt attention is anticipated.

Sincerely,

PAWG Command Staff and Group Commanders

jeders

Quote from: John Bryan on April 15, 2008, 02:52:48 PM

Safety is not our mission .....our mission is AE, CP, and ES. Our 1st priority in those missions needs to be safety.

This is the same everywere. The poster at a Ford plant may say "Safety is job #1" but if you are so safe you never build a car , unemployment will be job #2. The mission is to build a car , but you have to do that safely or you will have poor labor relations, low production , and law suits out the #$#!

In CAP a lot of our support people have this problem. I know a lot of comm guys bless their hearts think those radio are their personel play things and forget way we have a comm program.

I think that's the best explanation of safety I've seen since the Mike Rowe safety thread.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

star1151

Quote from: FW on April 15, 2008, 02:47:37 AM
LT, thank you for your opinion.  However, I would suggest you add your name to the list of those who should take the ORM course.  Yes, all we do has risk.  Understand we take "acceptable" risk.  Everything we do, requires us to do it in the safest way possible.  To do otherwise is foolish and wrong.   
To repeat:" Safety IS Job 1."  Everything else follows suit.

If safety was job #1, I sure wouldn't be flying a 172, especially low and slow as in CAP.  Job #1 is completing missions in a safe way, which is entirely different than claiming safety is #1.

FW

I think we've beat this horse (safely) to death.  Those that get it, great.  Those that don't, fine.  It doesn't matter how you phrase it.  It only matters that you be realistically safe in all you do.  

Let's get back to the topic.  PAWG is shut down because of the casual way the wing handles it's safety program.  It's a "culture" thing.  No matter how you want to phrase it,  safety is very important.  ORM needs to be practiced and our "culture" needs to be changed.  

arajca

Hopefully, it is just a paper issue. Although, having been through a paper-issue wing shut down, it's almost as bad as a real issue shut down. Once things come back on line, damage control will take months or years.

Smokey

I think ALL Wings and in fact all units take note of this grounding.  There but for the grace of God go I........everyone needs to look at their own house right now and make sure that you are up to speed and can pass muster. 

This is a wake up call for everyone. If it can happen there, it can happen here.  Instead of argueing about what job #1 is....start checking to see if you are in compliance with the regs. Make sure your stuff is up to specs.

Now...carry on.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: jeders on April 15, 2008, 03:03:58 PM
Quote from: John Bryan on April 15, 2008, 02:52:48 PM

I think that's the best explanation of safety I've seen since the Mike Rowe safety thread.

lol, I was thinking of that thread last night when the new season of Dirty Jobs started. On last night's episode Mike was working on an elevator and the guy he was working with from the company said "safety is #1" and Mike responded "well, top 5"
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

LtDan

If you are active in CAP and have not made ORM a part of your everyday operation, you're not doing yourself, your unit, or those entrusted to you any favors.  ORM is easy, quick, and valuable.  Don't knock it until you try it.

Spend the time to understand the process, then put it to use.

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: 1st Lt FAT and FUZZY on April 14, 2008, 09:03:00 PM
This is a mass email I received

Commanders,

Unfortunately I had to ground Pennsylvania Wing yesterday, because of there unsatisfactory in safety on there CI inspection. All aircraft and vehicles are grounded, all training and emergency missions are suspended. I am going to do every think in my power to get Pennsylvania up and running as fast as possible. I will be asking for your help to see this through and I know we can get this accomplished soon. I have asked Col Mull and Col Sirois to lead the way and resolve this ASAP. The issues in question has bin lingering for quit some time and it is no reflection on Col Lee.

Thank you
Col Robert Diduch
NER CC

Obviously, they grounded the wing because of the Wing Commanders inability to use a SPELL CHECKER...

...he sort of sounds like HE WHO SHALL NOT BE NAMED...
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

DNall

That & ungrounded vehicles might be a problem.  >:D

jpnelson82

I heard about this too. You think that running the Hawk Mountain Ranger School in spite of everything else is a good idea? Maybe it's not a smart idea.
Captain Nelson, John P.
SWR-AZ-064 (senior)
SER-GA-116 (cadet)

Mitchell Award 43981
Earhart Award 10643
IACE 2000

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: jpnelson82 on April 16, 2008, 08:57:20 AM
I heard about this too. You think that running the Hawk Mountain Ranger School in spite of everything else is a good idea? Maybe it's not a smart idea.

Well if PAWG is "Shut Down" then Hawk is "Shut Down".  What part of Nothing Moves do they not understand?

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 14, 2008, 08:02:38 PM

No worry kids the Hawk MTN person already said "Screw the AF, we are running the MTN whether they like it or not, everything is a go".

YAY! 

Mikey, I know this is not direct from you so please excuse me when I say this......

The above comment says it all about the CAP / USAF relationship to some people.

wingnut

CadetProgramGuy

FW

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 16, 2008, 09:09:53 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on April 14, 2008, 08:02:38 PM

No worry kids the Hawk MTN person already said "Screw the AF, we are running the MTN whether they like it or not, everything is a go".

YAY! 

Mikey, I know this is not direct from you so please excuse me when I say this......

The above comment says it all about the CAP / USAF relationship to some people.

Quotes like the above, are just plain wrong.  And, not worth further comment since they probably were made in the heat of the moment.

However, Hawk Mt. is home to a NCSA and its staff comes from many wings.  There is no reason to stop the school.  They just need permision from the National Commander to procede if they are to use wing vehicles (including that bobcat).  

I posted the wing commander's letter to the members.  They expect to be back on station in a week or two.  

I would hope all members of CAP understand these issues and not exaggerate what's happening there.    Shame indeed on those who have agendas other than the betterment of ourselves and our organization.

mikeylikey

^ Col......Hawk might be a NCSA, but it is not run by NHQ.  It is run, operated and funded by, for and through PAWG.  Its Staff is not as diverse as you think it is.  Most are from PAWG, and the finances (as you should know) are controlled by the Wing Financial Officer.  The way you make it sound is that HAWK is safe, but did anyone ever really check them out?  I have been there on the MTN when people got really hurt.  I have seen many questionable actions up there.   

PLUS, just because an activity might be a National Activity, it still comes down to where the activity takes place.  It has been shown that PAWG is unsafe. 

Also, until all Wing Members from the highest Colonel to the newest member complete that ORM read and submit their name to Wing HQ, nothing will happen.  So that could take months??
What's up monkeys?