60th Annv of Auxiliary Status

Started by James Shaw, April 11, 2008, 02:40:19 PM

James Shaw

May 26, 1948 Public Law 557 Established Civil Air Patrol as the Official Auxiliary of the United States Air Force.

There is a 60th Annv Coin in the works. I do not know when it will be available.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Capt Rivera

keep us posted. Could you suggest to the NHQ PAO to write up a general press release that squadrons can disseminate?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

JohnKachenmeister

What!  We are the Official Auxiliary of the Air Force?  Still????

Someone should tell the National Board!  They have been busy repainting airplanes and removing all references to such status like they are ashamed of it!
Another former CAP officer

James Shaw

They are planning a few things for the National Board in August. Here is the coin design for the occasion. They will be available for purchasing.

It should have a antique bronze design.
Jim Shaw

DesertFlyer

Looks like a nice coin.  Do keep us posted.

Regarding unit coins, does anyone know when this tradition began?  When I was in the USMC back in the Stone Age, we never heard of such a thing.  I saw my first one maybe five years ago.  Now, some Active Duty folks indicate they're practically a mandatory-carry item, at least in clubs unless you want to buy rounds for the house.

Lt Col Dave Finley, CAP
Socorro Composite Squadron
New Mexico Wing

Semper Fidelis -- Semper Vigilans

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

James Shaw

Jim Shaw

RiverAux

Probably referring to our supposedly Aux On/Aux Off Status.

Cecil DP

Quote from: DesertFlyer on April 28, 2008, 02:54:31 AM

Regarding unit coins, does anyone know when this tradition began?  When I was in the USMC back in the Stone Age, we never heard of such a thing.  I saw my first one maybe five years ago.  Now, some Active Duty folks indicate they're practically a mandatory-carry item, at least in clubs unless you want to buy rounds for the house.

When I was in the USMC back in the 60/70's there was no such thing. They seem to be the big topic now to show eithe where you've been,  who you've met, or for recognition of achievement.   When I was at CENTCOM I received several, but felt that if the command wanted to recognize you they should take the time to write up an achievement or commendation medal. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Eagle400

Quote from: RiverAux on April 28, 2008, 09:30:00 PM
Probably referring to our supposedly Aux On/Aux Off Status.

♫ Aux on [clap clap] Aux off [clap clap] Aux on, Aux off, the corporation.

Gunner C

They also left out two (already) obsolete command patches  >:D

Gunner C

Quote from: DesertFlyer on April 28, 2008, 02:54:31 AM

They began back in the 1950s in Special Forces (prolly in Bad Toelz, Germany - they found the original dies in the late 70s and restruck the coins in sterling silver).  They were referred to as "Group Coins." I never saw one outside of SF until (IIRC) the 1990s (could have been the late 80s).  The snuffies caught on and now - here we are.  I never saw one given as a "trophy" until the 90s - we always bought our own and put Rank, Name, and Detachment number on them.

GC

mikeylikey

Quote from: caphistorian on April 28, 2008, 09:27:16 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on April 28, 2008, 03:51:16 AM
Nice coin.....but misleading. 

How so please?

What year was CAP created?  True we are the AUX of the USAF beginning in 1948, but we were also the AUX of the USAAF since 1942??, then we have the creation of CAP in 1941......so some Cadets when asked what year was CAP founded, will spit out "1948 Sir/Ma'am".   
What's up monkeys?

James Shaw

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 29, 2008, 05:17:12 AM
Quote from: caphistorian on April 28, 2008, 09:27:16 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on April 28, 2008, 03:51:16 AM
Nice coin.....but misleading. 

How so please?

What year was CAP created?  True we are the AUX of the USAF beginning in 1948, but we were also the AUX of the USAAF since 1942??, then we have the creation of CAP in 1941......so some Cadets when asked what year was CAP founded, will spit out "1948 Sir/Ma'am".   

True we were the Auxiliary prior to 1948. This represents the actual formal government acknowledgment with the passing of the Public Law.

Here is what the coin will look like. This is Vanguards version of my design. It will be available at the National Board in August and then on the Vanguard website after.
Jim Shaw

mikeylikey

^ Ya.....I guess I will drop the cash for one.  Looks good BTW!
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Very nice, though I don't think the font is correct on the large, historic MAJCOM.

Who is the foundry?

"That Others May Zoom"

James Shaw

Quote from: Eclipse on June 18, 2008, 05:29:55 PM
Very nice, though I don't think the font is correct on the large, historic MAJCOM.

Who is the foundry?

It is allready in the production phase. I am not sure about the lettering. Vanguard makes there own and has their own coin company.
Jim Shaw

capchiro

I think the coin is misleading in that anyone seeing it will think CAP began back in 1948 instead of 1941, prior to WWII.  I know that what it says is correct, but it does seem slightly misleading since it seems to be celebrating CAP and not the Public Law printed thereon. 
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Pylon

Any particular reason the coin doesn't use the CAP seal?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

James Shaw

Quote from: Pylon on June 18, 2008, 06:31:29 PM
Any particular reason the coin doesn't use the CAP seal?

The seal is a more "modern" symbol of the CAP. It did not match the historical flow of the design. The idea was talked about but dropped.
Jim Shaw