Main Menu

Unqualified Staff

Started by ♠SARKID♠, August 30, 2007, 04:20:49 AM

SJFedor

It happens. We all hafta start somewhere, and the fact that they're giving an unexperienced person a good chance at learning something and becoming a more productive member is a great thing!

I got blessed with the job of being my Group's Operations officer. Closest I had ever been to this before was helping an aircraft OIC do the monthly reconciliations on an aircraft when I was a cadet, and a short stint (<6 months) as a unit ES Training Officer. I've been a CAP pilot for 3 years, which helps because I know some of the regs, but I had never filled shoes this big before.

I've got a few great mentors (Group Deputy Commander who had this job before me, and one of the new unit commanders who told them he'd either take the Group Ops job or the Command position at the unit level, but not both) And they've both helped me learn the ropes, feel comfortable and productive in my role, and become a better member.

Right now, for example, I just opened a 10 day Form 5/91 clinic for my group (which just about every Group in the Wing is piggybacking on, but that's all good  :) ) I've been handling all the flight releases, paperwork, 211's, etc etc, with minimal, if any, assistance from my mentors. They've trained me up to this point on how to do this on prior clinics and during SAREXs as an AOBD, but I'm really doing the job of a Mission Supervisor (not IC), AOBD, FASC, and using my role as a Wing FRO.

So, in some ways, it could be a good thing that they have a new ESO that doesn't know much. He won't be set in any ways, because he's learning, and he can be a very good ESO with help from experienced members (yes, even cadets, when I was an ES Training Officer, the ES trained cadets, especially the NESA NGSAR grads, helped me tons, and I'm so greatful for their input)

And, one day, if you stick with the org, you might be that n00b ESO or another staff position you've never touched before.   ;D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

RogueLeader

We've all made some mistakes, and lucky for you, you handled your self in a good manner.  I've had the "learning experience" in doing it the wrong way.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Now that this has turned into a "praising ♠SARKID♠" thread, I'll throw in my $.02.

♠SARKID♠, you'll go far.  As a cadet, you've probably learned a valuable lesson that many adults can't figure out.  Humbleness and humility are two traits that will take you far.

Now don't let it go to your head.

Knock out a few push-ups and get back to being a cadet.

Hooah.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

^ Does that qualify as eHazing UK?  >:D
Mike Johnston

BillB

Does not qualify as hazing. LtCol can do things lesser mortals can't
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Stonewall on August 31, 2007, 02:46:29 PM
Now that this has turned into a "praising " thread, I'll throw in my $.02.

:angel: :angel: :angel:
And the Lord said unto Abraham, "Though shall praise thy ♠SARKID♠, for he is wise and just.  He teaches humility and humbleness to all, Amen.
- CAPR 77:7

Really guys, thanks a lot.  I appreciate your help and I'll keep everything you've said in mind.  I'll be in CAP for life so I've got a long way to go.

SJFedor

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on August 31, 2007, 07:59:57 PM

And the Lord said unto Abraham, "Though shall praise thy ♠SARKID♠, for he is wise and just.  He teaches humility and humbleness to all, Amen.

Really guys, thanks a lot.  I appreciate your help and I'll keep everything you've said in mind.  I'll be in CAP for life so I've got a long way to go.

And you will be thoroughly initiated when you come to the dark side.  >:D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Flying Pig

I am my units ES officer.  Ive never been on a CAP SAR, dont have any finds, never been on a ground team.  Although I have flown a few practice ELT searches.  But....I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once though.

Matt

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on August 31, 2007, 07:59:57 PM

Now to praise him into flogging himself...
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

♠SARKID♠

Thank you sir may I have another?!   :o   Thank you sir may I have another?!   :o