CAP Launches bold new something something...

Started by Eclipse, June 30, 2022, 08:10:58 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

"It's hard to recruit and retain because we train for missions that rarely, if ever, come!"

We'll we don't have a good answer for that, so we spent lots of time, money, and energy creating a new logo! See if that will get everyone excited!
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Major Rob

Oh. My. Lord. Is that Wonder Woman's headband logo?

I can't imagine anything less recognizable as being related to CAP. What on Earth were they thinking?

On the other hand...

Yeah, no OCP for you. It makes you look too much like the real Air Force. Here's a nice kinda looks like an Air Force logo for you. Now, go home!

RangerConlin

As a member for over 16 years, I don't immediately associate that with CAP.  If experienced members can't, how do we expect the public to associate it with us? All the effort over the past few years on single solitary brand recognition over the past few years - poof.

Private Investigator

Van Halen has additional concerts added for the 4th of July weekend.

My bad, new CAP logo. How fun ...

Pace

Looks like an upside down star trek communicator badge. I like it!
Lt Col, CAP

LSThiker

All I can say is that someone really must have liked Disney Cars.

Holding Pattern

Great, we're the upside-down space cadets.

Quote from: Pace on June 30, 2022, 09:46:46 PMLooks like an upside down star trek communicator badge. I like it!

Holding Pattern

I made a poll, I want to see if CAPTALK's membership vs the focus group surveys in the powerpoint have any alignment at all.

I can already tell you, the FB polling does NOT have any alignment with it.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=25980.0

cobra6987

Personally, the more I look at it while it's implemented with something other than just hanging by itself I don't mind it. I do like that they made the effort to make it justified rather than the white space. The sttripes make us look a bit on the chubby side, but seeing a lot of our senior members, I guess it kind of grasps our look haha. Would I have voted for this in the line up of concepts, meh, IDK, depends what the oter ideas were. Guess I'm just kind of neutral on it.

I did play around a little bit and viewed it on products on VistaPrint. It looks pretty good on marketing items.
SSgt, USAF (Separated)
Lt Col, CAP
Shiprock 10
Ham - N5TCL

A.Member

It's actually pretty terrible on a lot levels. National needs to pump the brakes on this roll out.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

ctrossen

If you want to really go down a rabbit hole of specious reasoning, check out the 42 slides justifying this... fantastic creation.

https://presspage-production-content.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/1913/launchdeckv27cap.news.pptx?10000

Or, (and I can't take credit for this--thanks to the former cadet security forces SMSgt that happened to help us out at our encampment the last couple of days) just to put it into a different perspective: upside down SPACE FORCE!

Chris Trossen, Lt Col, CAP
Agency Liaison
Wisconsin Wing

Brit_in_CAP

Well, glad I am no longer a CAP member in any form whatsoever.  I would not like to try and explain this to anyone.

I did see someone out this out via one of the official social media channels; they were clearly excited but, like most re-brandings I have lived through in my working life, it failed to raise my pulse rate.  Marketing and leadership get excited about these things, rarely do the majority of the organization.

I dread to think how much opportunity cost and real cost were expended to get to this place.

Shuman 14

for nearly 81 years, the Civil Air Patrol had a brand identity that most people would instantly recognize, much like the Coke logo.

Imagine if Coke changed their logo to a giant "C" in Klingon script.

The words "Iconic" and "Historic" must mean nothing to some people.

Balderdash is the kindest word I can think of for this new logo.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Luis R. Ramos

Somewhere they say that logos should be simple. Yet they have about 10 explanations for the logo. Simple?

NO!   It reeks!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Luis R. Ramos

The more I see that logo, the more I think of the Navy Tomcat F-14 airplane with wings folded for storage in an aircraft carrier...

I find NO CONNECTION with the airplanes we fly...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

tmgoethe

Quote from: RangerConlin on June 30, 2022, 08:58:46 PMAs a member for over 16 years, I don't immediately associate that with CAP.  If experienced members can't, how do we expect the public to associate it with us? All the effort over the past few years on single solitary brand recognition over the past few years - poof.

My dad flew for CAP in WWII and we will no longer have an emblem he would recognize. Sigh.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Shuman 14 on July 01, 2022, 02:06:04 PMThe words "Iconic" and "Historic" must mean nothing to some people.

Much like the complete and total destruction of the wing and squadron patch and any associated heraldry

They simply dont care

Jester

Good grief CAP members are fragile. 

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Jester on July 01, 2022, 05:05:46 PMGood grief CAP members are fragile. 
Not sure I could agree with that.  The OP sought opinions, and got some, including yours and mine.

I'd suggest that CAPTalk members have opinions, and aren't shy about offering them..!

Personally, I think the majority of CAP will shrug, move on, and do their best to deal with something that is, to them, at best an annoyance and at worst another annoying waste of time and resources.

YMMV.