July 03, 2022, 08:24:40 am

L-Per Sensitivity Issue

Started by Corporal Punishment, April 16, 2022, 09:41:41 pm

Corporal Punishment

Hello everyone,
My L-Per has been having some issues regarding sensitivity. I have tried using other antennas and I have concluded that the receiver is the issue. It has about half of the sensitivity of other units. Does anyone know of any solutions for this?

PHall

Easiest thing is to check the antenna connections. Looking for a cracked or broken solder connection to the center pin of the connector.

Strategic Organizational Safety (S.O.S.)

Quote from: PHall on April 16, 2022, 10:05:12 pmEasiest thing is to check the antenna connections. Looking for a cracked or broken solder connection to the center pin of the connector.

I have found the same thing with the ones I have repaired over the years. I have also found that the "bread boards" may also have lost of dust and buildup that can be cleaned as well.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992 GANG: 1996-1998 CAP:2000-Current USCGA:2018-Current

Corporal Punishment

I have checked the connections with the antenna and the inside of the unit is clean. I was comparing two different receivers and I was getting significantly lower sensitivity on my unit. I changed the batteries, and then I was getting very wack readings like I would have the sensitivity all the way down and I was getting half strength readings without anything transmitting. I ended up checking it again in the morning and it was acting regularly again. I read the manual and it seemed like light water damage from what I read in the manual, but it seems unlikely with the weather it has been used in recently.