Main Menu

senior member squadron

Started by darkmatter, March 16, 2022, 07:21:24 PM

darkmatter

Hello all,

Are there any squadron commanders of senior member squadron could would have the time to share with me some insight into how their squadron is run weekly monthly yearly typical budge hurdles types of activities if any that you set up for your members to do participate in. Im asking because there is no senior squadron where I am and I am trying to find out information for a proposal. Please feel free to either comment here or send my a private message.

flyboy53

Uniquely senior units traditionally are more mission or operationally focused. They are smaller and generally have older members who don't seem interested in having cadets. From my experience, these members seem more focused on flying or communications and may not even have an interest in promotions beyond a certain point. You may see a lot of career lieutenants and captains, or even a few just senior members, who are happy to volunteer as long as there is aircraft availability.

I am not sure what your proposal entails, but I would suggest that any proposal have an aggressive senior member training program along with a mission-related focus; something that sets this unit apart from the other units -- and then call upon that focus to benefit the other units. Senior units can command aircraft usage and be the orientation pilots for the other squadrons. Be prepared, however, if the membership seems to age out and the unit shrinks to a flight.

darkmatter

thank you for your reply, I had not considered operations yet. I knew of flying, communications and ES. there will be a large component to the purpose for PD (or what every its been newly changed to). I was also thinking of adding AE out reach to the other squadrons as something to do.