Altering ABUs for cadets

Started by Tokyo Tengu, March 11, 2022, 01:32:06 PM

Tokyo Tengu

This can't be a new problem, but I can't find a relevant thread.  I am (for my sins) the senior NCO of the cadet squadron at Yokota and we have a TON of surplus ABUs and cadets that need uniforms. However, obviously, most of the cadets are too small for the surplus stock we have on hand.

Just hemming up the pants doesn't work.  It hits the pockets.  Again, there has to be an accepted workaround for this.  Someone, please enlighten me.
SSgt True R. Spence
Squadron NCO, Yokota Cadet Squadron
Prior Service USN, 1976-1988 (Medical discharge)
Shipboard Service aboard USS CONSTELLATION (CV-64)
Journalist Second Class Petty Officer (E5)
My specialty track is Public Affairs

Eclipse

The solution is whatever works.

The problem of small cadets has been an issue for decades, and is one of the
few CAP uniform issues that isn't self-induced, at least in regards to
surplus items.

You can always just remove the lower pockets.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

cut the lower pockets off, move them up, re-sew. 

PHall

Or there's always the unpopular option of ordering from Vanguard. Distasteful as it is they probably do have the smaller sizes.
For me the decision point is when the cost to tailor a uniform exceeds the cost to order from Vanguard.
Not the best option but it is available.

Eclipse

He's trying to make use of the surplus they have.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

I recently came across some photos I had of a cadet's uniform where mom did some nice, clever alterations to BDUs for a pretty small cadet.

Trousers: Back of the trousers, she took in a goodly amount of the waist (2"?) and you didn't hardly notice because she did it 1" either side of the center seam in the very back.

Shirt: Pulled the bottom pockets, hemmed under the shirt about 1 1/2", replaced the pockets ~1-1 1/2" higher.  She also did a thing (and this is where I need the photos) where she took up the sleeve about 1 1/2" above the cuff, pulled about 2" or so out of the sleeve length.

If you didn't know you were looking for it, you'd never notice.

If I find those pics this weekend, I'll post them here.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on March 11, 2022, 08:06:32 PMHe's trying to make use of the surplus they have.

Yes, I can read. But sometimes you just get to the point, i.e. really small cadet, that's it's more cost effective to just go buy them. Use the savings to buy more STEM kits and such.

Tokyo Tengu

Quote from: NIN on March 11, 2022, 11:01:40 PMI recently came across some photos I had of a cadet's uniform where mom did some nice, clever alterations to BDUs for a pretty small cadet. If you didn't know you were looking for it, you'd never notice. If I find those pics this weekend, I'll post them here.

Thanks, Nin-san. That's pretty much what I am looking for.  My thought is/was that some moms must have come up with a standardized pattern/process for altering ABUs that I could work with and once I get a pattern/process, I can go hunting for a sewing circle or club to do the actual alterations.

Again, this must be a common problem with cadet squadrons everywhere, and since the Tokyo squadron has a large supply of surplus ABUs in good condition, we might even be able to partner with another cadet squadron who has good seamstresses and needs stock in a tradeoff deal where they do the sewing in exchange for uniforms.

Something to think about anyhow.
SSgt True R. Spence
Squadron NCO, Yokota Cadet Squadron
Prior Service USN, 1976-1988 (Medical discharge)
Shipboard Service aboard USS CONSTELLATION (CV-64)
Journalist Second Class Petty Officer (E5)
My specialty track is Public Affairs