Main Menu

Blue BDU's

Started by armyguy, February 14, 2022, 07:59:29 PM

PHall

Quote from: etodd on February 16, 2022, 10:07:09 PM
Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 16, 2022, 08:48:23 PMIt would appear that the USAF likes to play reindeer games with CAP...

Do the AF folks ever come out publicly and say "here is our 10 year uniform plan for CAP"?  Or is it quiet decisions that are passed along to Hdqs, who then doles it out as it comes?  It just seems to always be so secretive and the membership is the last to know. No info as to the whys or wherefores, just do as your told(?)

CAP members are no better informed then AF members are informed on the Air Forces uniform plans.
To put it simply, the folks who wear it are the last to know.

jeders

Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 16, 2022, 07:39:54 PMAFJROTC is in the process of transitioning to the OCP uniform, your local units may be behind the power curve.

Transitioning, meaning still using; ergo, CAP is not the only organization using ABUs.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on February 16, 2022, 10:07:09 PMDo the AF folks ever come out publicly and say "here is our 10 year uniform plan for CAP"?

Do the AF folks ever come out publicly and say "here is our 10 year uniform plan for the AF"?

"That Others May Zoom"

Dad Jokes

A side note about blue tac uniforms.  You should see how horrible they fade, and unevenly.  You can't replace a shirt without getting new pants also.  Make sure you wash them the same amount too.  I think we had Blauer, ProTuff, (probably spelled both of those wrong) and a number of others and hey all looked like a soup sandwich after a short time.

A problem with using a "common" color uniform is unless you designate a specific cut and manufacture your going to end up with a storage room of multiple shades, styles, cuts, and so on. After a while you will have a hard time putting together a matching set for a new member. Then you start defeating the whole concept of supply and demand as well as cost.

But hey, lots of pockets came in handy for one guy who I won't name that was eating fried shrimp while directing traffic at a fatal.  We were eating when the run came out, guess he decided to take his dinner with him. Wave cars through, eat a shrimp from his pocket, wave more cars through, another pocket shrimp. 

At least I've yet to see a train wreck like that in CAP.

heliodoc

CAP did have its own train wreck....the short-sleeved light blue Smurf Suit back inghe late 70s and early 80s...

SarDragon

Quote from: heliodoc on February 17, 2022, 01:33:43 AMCAP did have its own train wreck....the short-sleeved light blue Smurf Suit back in the late 70s and early 80s...

I was around for that. I still have my order blank for one (11 addresses ago) that I never sent in. Cash was tight and I wasn't sure I would get my money's worth out of it. In 20/20 hindsight, I would not have.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: Dad Jokes on February 17, 2022, 01:18:14 AMA side note about blue tac uniforms.  You should see how horrible they fade, and unevenly.  You can't replace a shirt without getting new pants also.  Make sure you wash them the same amount too.  I think we had Blauer, ProTuff, (probably spelled both of those wrong) and a number of others and hey all looked like a soup sandwich after a short time.

Blue BDU's are just like any other clothing item, you get what you pay for.
I have the Propper Poly Cotton Rip Stop ones and they haven't faded much. And I've had this set for about five years now. You just have to follow the care directions that are right there on the label. Cold water wash and low heat dry.

armyguy

Quote......... that we wouldn't loose too many for not being in a USAF uniform.

If someone leaves because the uniform is not a USAF uniform do you really want a wannabe like that?

N6RVT

Quote from: Dad Jokes on February 17, 2022, 01:18:14 AMAt least I've yet to see a train wreck like that in CAP.

Apparently you just joined.  I saw someone on CAWG staff get a silver medal of valor for doing almost exactly that.

N6RVT

Quote from: heliodoc on February 17, 2022, 01:33:43 AMCAP did have its own train wreck....the short-sleeved light blue Smurf Suit back inghe late 70s and early 80s...

Remember that was the age of Disco.  It did not look out of place at the time.

N6RVT

Quote from: PHall on February 17, 2022, 01:56:18 AM
Quote from: Dad Jokes on February 17, 2022, 01:18:14 AMA side note about blue tac uniforms.  You should see how horrible they fade, and unevenly.  You can't replace a shirt without getting new pants also.  Make sure you wash them the same amount too.  I think we had Blauer, ProTuff, (probably spelled both of those wrong) and a number of others and hey all looked like a soup sandwich after a short time.
Blue BDU's are just like any other clothing item, you get what you pay for.
I have the Propper Poly Cotton Rip Stop ones and they haven't faded much. And I've had this set for about five years now. You just have to follow the care directions that are right there on the label. Cold water wash and low heat dry.
At what turned out to be my last CAP operation we had a former IC show up in blue BDU.  They were almost faded to ultramarine, seriously they were smurf suit color.

THRAWN

Quote from: heliodoc on February 17, 2022, 01:33:43 AMCAP did have its own train wreck....the short-sleeved light blue Smurf Suit back inghe late 70s and early 80s...

The first mission I flew as a fully qualified Observer in 94, my MP flew in this. Dude looked like Violet Beauregard...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Shuman 14

Quote from: jeders on February 17, 2022, 12:54:13 AM
Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 16, 2022, 07:39:54 PMAFJROTC is in the process of transitioning to the OCP uniform, your local units may be behind the power curve.

Transitioning, meaning still using; ergo, CAP is not the only organization using ABUs.

Semantics, CAP plans on wearing them... forever, AFJROTC plans on wearing for a maximum of six more months.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

It should be noted in the "unavailable" conversation that CAP has an
approved manufacturer / supplier of ABU items, which negates the conversation
regarding whether the USAF still wears them or not.

The fact that there appears to be logistical constraint on that supplier
is a separate conversation from the "policy and multi-form choice" conversation.

If CAP's approved, single-source uniform supplier is unable to provide the needed
garments in compliance with contractual obligations, it should be addressed from that angle.

"That Others May Zoom"

heliodoc

There's a contract with CAPs sole source supplier? Judging from the quality...its time for QA/QC lesson

PHall

Quote from: heliodoc on February 17, 2022, 11:51:49 PMThere's a contract with CAPs sole source supplier? Judging from the quality...its time for QA/QC lesson

He didn't say it was a "good" contract.

Okayish Aviator

It's all a bit of a mute point.

I have been told by people in the know that CAP NHQ is actively working on it. I was told that a preliminary transition plan and draft reg for the OCP and how CAP will wear it, is already done. We're waiting on the "mother may I" from USAF. My understanding is they are moving as fast as they can at this point given how fast it's drying up.

This solves the logistical nightmare we're beginning to run into with sourcing ABU's in the quantities and sizes needed. I'm a 4hr drive from USAF or USSF, and Army bases. Having OCP's is going to make getting uniforms far easier.

I was told to expect it within the next year.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Jester

Quote from: Okayish Aviator on February 27, 2022, 09:23:33 PMIt's all a bit of a mute point.

I have been told by people in the know that CAP NHQ is actively working on it. I was told that a preliminary transition plan and draft reg for the OCP and how CAP will wear it, is already done. We're waiting on the "mother may I" from USAF. My understanding is they are moving as fast as they can at this point given how fast it's drying up.

This solves the logistical nightmare we're beginning to run into with sourcing ABU's in the quantities and sizes needed. I'm a 4hr drive from USAF or USSF, and Army bases. Having OCP's is going to make getting uniforms far easier.

I was told to expect it within the next year.

That directly opposes what I heard from someone who was at the Command Council.

heliodoc

Once again...an organization that has no consistent message to all the PAYING members who ought to be treated with a little respect with some consistent messaging.." I been told" "What I heard." CAP needs some professional help in volunteer management. But then this about uniforms again....any new news about curriculum changes in GT operations?

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on February 16, 2022, 10:07:09 PM"here is our 10 year uniform plan for CAP"? 

There's no public 10 month plan for anything CAP, let alone 10 years.

"That Others May Zoom"