Main Menu

Blue BDU's

Started by armyguy, February 14, 2022, 07:59:29 PM

armyguy

Since USAF has done away with ABU's and going with OCP, now would be the perfect time for CAP to do a total force (cadets & SM) to blue BDU's.  They are a less expensive, outwear would not be a problem since there is more leeway  with what is allowed.

They look shard, and a more in line with the ES mission. Cammo make no sense at all, the all blue BDU's have a more professional look (i.e. fire depts & EMS).

SARDOC

This discussion has been had on here many times.  Just use the search feature.  There are many that insist on having the military appearance. 

I agree that we should have and uniform that is actually "uniform" the BBDU's are a great option and they are available, they are used by many organizations so we don't have to worry about a sunset date.  And we could actually save money in the long term.

armyguy

Quote from: SARDOC on February 14, 2022, 08:09:17 PMThis discussion has been had on here many times.  Just use the search feature.  There are many that insist on having the military appearance. 

I agree that we should have and uniform that is actually "uniform" the BBDU's are a great option and they are available, they are used by many organizations so we don't have to worry about a sunset date.  And we could actually save money in the long term.

For those who insist on a "military appearance," maybe they should look at the USCG & USCG Aux, their uniform is basically the blue BDU (also NOAA and USPHS).

And just what is meant when people say they want a military appearance?  If you look like a soup sandwich in OCP's, dress blues etc... you won't have a military appearance.  I have been on active duty assignments where we were authorized civilian clothes' and there was still no doubt who was military and who was not.

Shuman 14

Part of the appeal of CAP for many Cadets (and Seniors too) is the ability to wear a Military-style uniform.

ABUs (and BDUs before them) are a big recruiting tool and hopefully soon, OCPs will be that recruiting tool.

While BBDUs would be a more practical uniform choice, I suspect we will lose potential cadets, if they are the sole working/field uniform choice.

Very quickly ABUs sources will completely dry up so National and USAF need to make a decision sooner before later as to what they want CAP members to wear.

OCPs, BBDUs, BOCPs or something else entirely... they really need to make a choice.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Dad Jokes

I've kept out of these but I'll drop my two cents.  I don't want my cadets walking around looking like unarmed police officers in todays world. I wore that uniform most of my adult life and won't put it back on.  Any color other than blue, maybe we can talk. I'd even go for big bird yellow before blue.

heliodoc

Dad Jokes

Some common sense, right there. Dont know where CAP gets uniform ideas but your point is well taken. Until CAP is truly designated a reponse organization and gets in their head with our support designation as a SAR resource....its about time we get a uniform  that is not camouflaged. SOME LE folks ask why the uniform  choices which could be limiting some resources requests.

But getting a uniform that resembles what we truly do and do not do, probably won't occur in this lifetime.

Sure the USAF drives us and its the pipeline for future leaders BUT an approved uniform outside of camo could be discussed and maybe it has with old timey ideas that needs some 21st Century civilian 501(c)3 thought. After all thats how we are designated by Congressional action.

Shuman 14

Quote from: Dad Jokes on February 16, 2022, 03:33:41 AMI've kept out of these but I'll drop my two cents.  I don't want my cadets walking around looking like unarmed police officers in todays world. I wore that uniform most of my adult life and won't put it back on.  Any color other than blue, maybe we can talk. I'd even go for big bird yellow before blue.

Very good point.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: heliodoc on February 16, 2022, 12:44:25 PMDad Jokes

Some common sense, right there. Dont know where CAP gets uniform ideas but your point is well taken. Until CAP is truly designated a reponse organization and gets in their head with our support designation as a SAR resource....its about time we get a uniform  that is not camouflaged. SOME LE folks ask why the uniform  choices which could be limiting some resources requests.

But getting a uniform that resembles what we truly do and do not do, probably won't occur in this lifetime.

Sure the USAF drives us and its the pipeline for future leaders BUT an approved uniform outside of camo could be discussed and maybe it has with old timey ideas that needs some 21st Century civilian 501(c)3 thought. After all thats how we are designated by Congressional action.

A long while ago, a CAPTalk poster (I can't remember who) floated the idea of a ACU/OCP style uniform in olive drab with blue name/CAP tapes, blue rank badges, blue skill badges, full color patches and full color US Flags and black boots.

It met all the requirements of field/work uniform, could be worn by all members, could not be confused for USAF or LE officers and was martial appearing enough that we wouldn't loose too many for not being in a USAF uniform.

He even posted pictures of the ensemble, it looked very professional.

Maybe it's time to revisit the idea... before ABUs dry up completely.
Joseph J. Clune

Toad1168

I think we are missing the point on this discussion.  An integral part of the cadet program is emphasis on the AF style training, leadership, and uniform.  Their leadership training is military based.  The constant discussion about getting rid of the uniform is exhausting and would negatively impact the cadet program.

As far as seniors, we have adequate choices for those that can't or won't wear AF style. 

Just my two cents, let the flaming begin :)
Toad

Shuman 14

Quote from: Toad1168 on February 16, 2022, 03:44:53 PMI think we are missing the point on this discussion.  An integral part of the cadet program is emphasis on the AF style training, leadership, and uniform.  Their leadership training is military based.  The constant discussion about getting rid of the uniform is exhausting and would negatively impact the cadet program.

As far as seniors, we have adequate choices for those that can't or won't wear AF style. 

But the ABU is NO LONGER a Air Force uniform. In fact, the ONLY agency wearing it is CAP, therefore, it is now a de facto CAP Corporate uniform.

So does the continued wear of the ABU negatively impact the Cadet Program? I would say yes.
Joseph J. Clune

Holding Pattern

Quote from: armyguy on February 14, 2022, 07:59:29 PMSince USAF has done away with ABU's and going with OCP, now would be the perfect time for CAP to do a total force (cadets & SM)

Great idea!

Quote from: undefinedto blue BDU's.

That's the opposite of Total Force.

Eclipse

Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 16, 2022, 04:09:44 PMBut the ABU is NO LONGER a Air Force uniform. In fact, the ONLY agency wearing it is CAP, therefore, it is now a de facto CAP Corporate uniform.

Experienced members know that this argument has been made for years, and has never flown.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Toad1168 on February 16, 2022, 03:44:53 PM.  An integral part of the cadet program is emphasis on the AF style training, leadership, and uniform.  Their leadership training is military based.  The constant discussion about getting rid of the uniform is exhausting and would negatively impact the cadet program.

Keep the blues, change the field uniforms.

Done.

Quote from: Toad1168 on February 16, 2022, 03:44:53 PM.

"adequate" is benevolent to the extreme in this context.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 16, 2022, 04:09:44 PMBut the ABU is NO LONGER a Air Force uniform. In fact, the ONLY agency wearing it is CAP

As well as AFJROTC

Quote from: undefinedtherefore, it is now a de facto CAP Corporate uniform.

No it's not; just because the air force doesn't use it any more doesn't mean that they don't retain ownership of it.

Quote from: undefinedSo does the continued wear of the ABU negatively impact the Cadet Program? I would say yes.

Doesn't seem to be hurting AFJROTC too much, at least not from what I've seen of the two local AFJROTC units.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Toad1168

Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 16, 2022, 04:09:44 PM
Quote from: Toad1168 on February 16, 2022, 03:44:53 PMI think we are missing the point on this discussion.  An integral part of the cadet program is emphasis on the AF style training, leadership, and uniform.  Their leadership training is military based.  The constant discussion about getting rid of the uniform is exhausting and would negatively impact the cadet program.

But the ABU is NO LONGER a Air Force uniform. In fact, the ONLY agency wearing it is CAP, therefore, it is now a de facto CAP Corporate uniform.

So does the continued wear of the ABU negatively impact the Cadet Program? I would say yes.

My point was less about the ABU, and more about the USAF style in general.  If you go back through the ridiculous number of uniform threads, a common theme is some people complaining about the utility uniform (or the camp that doesn't think there should be any uniforms).  It generally boils down to the idea that they can't or won't wear them and don't like the corporate style.  Anyone that argues it will be cheaper for cadets or other members to simply switch to BBDU, is a myth.  Otherwise, they would be prevalent in surplus and resale shops.  And like it or not, there are a significant number of cadets (and SMs) that are drawn in by the uniform. 

We should adopt policies more like the AF where it is less strictly based on weight and more on appearance in the uniform.  But, we should be focusing on how to increase our numbers as an organization (different thread, and doesn't belong with the uniform discussion) instead of looking at something that would most likely drive out more members.
Toad

Shuman 14

Quote from: Eclipse on February 16, 2022, 04:10:40 PM
Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 16, 2022, 04:09:44 PMBut the ABU is NO LONGER a Air Force uniform. In fact, the ONLY agency wearing it is CAP, therefore, it is now a de facto CAP Corporate uniform.

Experienced members know that this argument has been made for years, and has never flown.

Since the ABU only ceased to be an Air Force uniform in 2021, how has this argument been made for years?
Joseph J. Clune

Shuman 14

Quote from: jeders on February 16, 2022, 05:19:43 PM
Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 16, 2022, 04:09:44 PMBut the ABU is NO LONGER a Air Force uniform. In fact, the ONLY agency wearing it is CAP

As well as AFJROTC

Quote from: undefinedtherefore, it is now a de facto CAP Corporate uniform.

No it's not; just because the air force doesn't use it any more doesn't mean that they don't retain ownership of it.

Quote from: undefinedSo does the continued wear of the ABU negatively impact the Cadet Program? I would say yes.

Doesn't seem to be hurting AFJROTC too much, at least not from what I've seen of the two local AFJROTC units.

AFJROTC is in the process of transitioning to the OCP uniform, your local units may be behind the power curve.
Joseph J. Clune

Eclipse

Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 16, 2022, 07:36:46 PMSince the ABU only ceased to be an Air Force uniform in 2021, how has this argument been made for years?

CAP has worn other Air Force Style uniform combinations which were retired by the USAF but
not released to be considered "no longer a military uniform style".

Every time it happens, the same argument(s) is made.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Quote from: Eclipse on February 16, 2022, 08:27:18 PM
Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 16, 2022, 07:36:46 PMSince the ABU only ceased to be an Air Force uniform in 2021, how has this argument been made for years?

CAP has worn other Air Force Style uniform combinations which were retired by the USAF but
not released to be considered "no longer a military uniform style".

Every time it happens, the same argument(s) is made.

It would appear that the USAF likes to play reindeer games with CAP... its really counter-productive for both agencies. Just saying.
Joseph J. Clune

etodd

Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 16, 2022, 08:48:23 PMIt would appear that the USAF likes to play reindeer games with CAP...

Do the AF folks ever come out publicly and say "here is our 10 year uniform plan for CAP"?  Or is it quiet decisions that are passed along to Hdqs, who then doles it out as it comes?  It just seems to always be so secretive and the membership is the last to know. No info as to the whys or wherefores, just do as your told(?)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."