Winter Hawk

Started by yolo, February 02, 2022, 12:55:48 AM

yolo

Hey y'all,

Any tips for Winter Hawk?

Thanks,
yolo

Capt Thompson

Dress warm, listen carefully to the instructors, bring everything on the packing list, nothing more nothing less and pack as lightly as you can. Leave the rambo knife at home, a multi-tool or even just a lockback folder are really all you need. If your school requires a tent, buddy up with someone from your unit and split the load in half, one of you carry the tent the other the poles and stakes.

I haven't been in years so some things may have changed, but on the first day you will usually spend quite a bit of time hiking in full gear, so lighten the load as much as possible. Light is much better than tactical looking, so a lightweight hiking pack is much better than a MOLLE ruck.

You will change your socks often, so bring extra. Always have a pair of clean socks on your person up against your body so your body heat will keep them warm. When you change your socks, the dirty pair goes in your pack, and another clean pair goes on your person to warm up. If you're wearing a pistol belt, you can stuff them in your ABU blouse and that will work perfectly.

Make sure your bag is rated for the weather. One year I decided to lighten the load with a thinner bag thinking I would be fine, and thought for sure I would lose a toe that first night because I didn't have enough insulation. If you have to compromise on weight somewhere, your sleeping bag and pad are one place I'd carry an extra couple of pounds to ensure comfort.

Make sure your matches are actually waterproof, and if you bring a flint and steel practice with it ahead of time. At one point you will likely have to make a fire in the snow, I believe the time limit was two minutes but I could be mistaken, it's been a while. It wouldn't hurt to watch a few Youtube vids and practice this skill ahead of time.

It would also be a good idea to know some basic knots before you go. Square knot of course, bowline, taught line, prusik, double fisherman, and be able to tie a water knot with your tubular webbing.

Most importantly, have fun! I went to basic and advanced and both were excellent courses!
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)