30 Days Lost in Space—STEM

Started by old141pilot, January 28, 2022, 03:38:51 PM

old141pilot

I was wondering if anyone has experience to share related to the "30 Days Lost in Space" STEM kit. I'm working through the "30 Days" myself before I involve Cadets.

An AEO from a nearby Squadron received the "30 Days..." kit with a non-functioning Hero microcontroller. This microcontroller, a $10 clone of the Arduino UNO R3, is the central component to the kit.

The "30 Days" of lessons are videos form Inventr, the kit developer. The lessons seem to follow other tutorials on Arduinos, like "Arduino for Idiots," Paul McWhorter and those on the Arduino website. Inventr added the space theme to the videos.

Two things that I like about "30 Days" 1) The circuit connections are shown pictographically-easy for youth to follow. 2) The IDE code is displayed in a window that can be "cut and pasted" into the sketch editor.

For my own understanding, I have purchased another kit made by Elegoo, the Elegoo UNO Super Starter Kit and I'm working through the ~80 episode tutorial by Paul McWhorter.

When I feel confident that I can present this to Cadets, I may tailor a program that suits our Cadets.

I have not ordered kits yet. I'm a little concerned about possible supply-chain issues.

ColonelJack

Not to derail the thread, but when I saw the topic, I immediately thought ...

"Danger, Will Robinson!"

Oh, the pain ... the pain ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia