Sources for approved ABU winter outerwear

Started by Spam, January 12, 2022, 06:08:21 PM

Capt Thompson

Quote from: SM True Spence on February 10, 2022, 03:13:18 AM
Quote(I was 237 lbs at one point about 11 years ago, and told people "I hid it well." Yeah, I hid it well. From myself...)

Point taken. Time to get back on the keto bandwagon. I didn't invest this much money in ABUs to stick them in a closet and go corporate.

[EDIT: Fix0red your quote tags, sir -NIN]
Spence, you're new around here, welcome to CapTalk! One bit of advice, if you want to turn a good discussion into a raging argument very quickly on CT, mention OCP's. Until an ICL from NHQ/CC says otherwise, they don't exist in our world, but everyone here will have an opinion and will turn it into a heated debate until a mod shuts the thread down.

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on February 10, 2022, 02:44:59 PMWhat I would like to see is the OCP pattern uniform in the BBDU color.  We could have that tomorrow, The USAF would love the idea, existing insignia, accessories and outergarments would work, and it would be closer to USAF than the obsolete ABU we now have.
This would be a great idea, although many wouldn't see the point in switching from BBDU to BOCP, until they do switch we would at least all match in color and then as the BBDU's wear out they can be replaced with BOCP. I approve, send it up the chain!

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Spam

As the OP, while I love the tissue and fantasies being expended on the usual uniform fantasies, I would like to suggest that my intent for this thread was to gather ABU sources.  No offense, but I had hoped to just compile information here to help parents/members buy stuff.

E.g. correct stock numbers, size info, tips, and sources - thanks so much to y'all who have pitched in with corrections/updates for the approved stuff.  Even if you hate it or don't fit it. LOL

Now, if you want fuzzy pink berets (camo) on which to pin hypothetical Master Rating Sensitivity Badges, or Knights of Columbus style admirals hats with specialty track coded color feather plumes, please start your own thread, where I'd absolutely love to have fun with that. (Hey why not? Most of captalk just talks about uniforms, not actual operational flying, cadet programs, or God forbid aerospace education missions).

;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Spam

heliodoc

Agreed....I love it here and about uniforms and trying help peeps out...but apparently reading 39-1 is a project.

If one is having a bad day....come to Captalk about uniforms....on some days it can leave one in stitches

Eclipse

Quote from: Spam on February 10, 2022, 03:11:58 PMoperational flying, cadet programs, or God forbid aerospace education missions

Two of these things are less likely these days then CAP getting OCPs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on February 10, 2022, 02:44:59 PMWhat I would like to see is the OCP pattern uniform in the BBDU color.  We could have that tomorrow, The USAF would love the idea, existing insignia, accessories and outergarments would work, and it would be closer to USAF than the obsolete ABU we now have.

If Vanguard can make pink ABU's, they can make this.

You mean like this? https://www.militarysurplus.eu/product-eng-36307-UNIFORM-SET-ACU-2-0-PENTAGON-R-NAVY-BLUE.html

Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: Spam on February 10, 2022, 03:11:58 PMKnights of Columbus style admirals hats with specialty track coded color feather plumes

It was called a Chapeau. The color of the plumes did designate the office being.

It's no longer authorized for wear in the KOC, the uniform headgear is now a black beret.

FYI, I'm a Knight of the Fourth Degree.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Tokyo Tengu

Quote from: Capt Thompson on February 10, 2022, 03:00:39 PMSpence, you're new around here, welcome to CapTalk! One bit of advice, if you want to turn a good discussion into a raging argument very quickly on CT, mention OCP's. Until an ICL from NHQ/CC says otherwise, they don't exist in our world, but everyone here will have an opinion and will turn it into a heated debate until a mod shuts the thread down.

Roger that, Captain, and thank you for your kind welcome. Yup. I am a total noob but it's very interesting and I am learning a lot. I can already see that CapTalk is going to be a go-to resource for a lot of things that I am having trouble wrapping my mind around. I'll refrain from any further mention of OCPs. I'm just glad I won't have to go out and buy a set after having invested so much in a full set of ABUs. My lovely and gracious wife would be "upset".
SSgt True R. Spence
Squadron NCO, Yokota Cadet Squadron
Prior Service USN, 1976-1988 (Medical discharge)
Shipboard Service aboard USS CONSTELLATION (CV-64)
Journalist Second Class Petty Officer (E5)
My specialty track is Public Affairs

Okayish Aviator

Although I'm probably in a flight suit more than any other uniform, I've had an exceedingly hard time finding ABU anything in stock anywhere. Florida (where I'm at) has quite a lot of rain through the spring, summer and fall months. I've been looking for an APECS parka to use, but it's been very difficult.

Realistically, although we can feel happy that many units got donations of items or that we see a lot of stuff on closeout sale, we're going to very shortly see that it's all but impossible to find any new stock for ABU's. It's drying up and right now I'd even go as far to say it's worse than we had it with BDU's when we switched.

I'm sure NHQ is on it, but logistically it makes a lot of sense to switch to something used in volume by 3 branches (since that would make it cheaper for our membership). The availability of cold and wet weather gear, as well as all the other companies using the same pattern for other equipment helps too.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Jester

Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 11, 2022, 12:38:42 AM

If Vanguard can make pink ABU's, they can make this.

You mean like this? https://www.militarysurplus.eu/product-eng-36307-UNIFORM-SET-ACU-2-0-PENTAGON-R-NAVY-BLUE.html

This would be perfect.  I haven't been able to find something like this that wasn't OCONUS only.  I found some Tru-Spec (I think ) but it didn't have velcro and was really expensive.

Shuman 14

Quote from: Jester on February 11, 2022, 03:49:47 PMThis would be perfect.  I haven't been able to find something like this that wasn't OCONUS only.  I found some Tru-Spec (I think ) but it didn't have velcro and was really expensive.

I hear you. Funny how foreign producers anticipate our needs BEFORE domestic ones do.
Joseph J. Clune

N6RVT

Quote from: Jester on February 11, 2022, 03:49:47 PM

This would be perfect.  I haven't been able to find something like this that wasn't OCONUS only.  I found some Tru-Spec (I think ) but it didn't have velcro and was really expensive.

90 Euros isn't cheap either.  Bu this is indeed what I meant.

Okayish Aviator

Just FYI;

I just heard from down the chain that Gen Phelka is actively seeking approval for OCP's for CAP wear. This is by and large due to the supply shortages on ABU's. I don't have any information regarding the timeline but we'll probably hear something official in the next 6-9 months.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

armyguy

Quote from: N6RVT on February 11, 2022, 06:32:42 PM
Quote from: Jester on February 11, 2022, 03:49:47 PM

90 Euros isn't cheap either.  Bu this is indeed what I meant.

https://www.mycg.uscg.mil/News/Article/2839899/new-uniforms-coming-soon/

Shuman 14

Quote from: armyguy on February 27, 2022, 03:15:50 AMhttps://www.mycg.uscg.mil/News/Article/2839899/new-uniforms-coming-soon/

Now that wouldn't be a bad replacement for the BBDU. As long as they don't add the embroidered USGC emblem to blouse and trouser pocket to the final design like did with the current ones.

I'll just throw this out there. USCGAux members can buy USCG uniforms directly from the Coast Guard Exchange and they even have some limited USCGAux items in their inventory.

You can order over the phone, give them your member number and they will let order over the phone with debt/credit cards.

They will only sell you what Auxies are allowed to have.

If CAP were to adopted this uniform as well, maybe National can work out a similar arraignment with the Coast Guard Exchange and we could provide CAPIDs and they will sell us that uniform (and maybe the light blue shirts for the Service Uniform too, they are the same shirts) directly.
Joseph J. Clune

armyguy

Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 28, 2022, 03:07:01 PM
Quote from: armyguy on February 27, 2022, 03:15:50 AMhttps://www.mycg.uscg.mil/News/Article/2839899/new-uniforms-coming-soon/

Now that wouldn't be a bad replacement for the BBDU. As long as they don't add the embroidered USGC emblem to blouse and trouser pocket to the final design like did with the current ones.

I'll just throw this out there. USCGAux members can buy USCG uniforms directly from the Coast Guard Exchange and they even have some limited USCGAux items in their inventory.

You can order over the phone, give them your member number and they will let order over the phone with debt/credit cards.

They will only sell you what Auxies are allowed to have.

If CAP were to adopted this uniform as well, maybe National can work out a similar arraignment with the Coast Guard Exchange and we could provide CAPIDs and they will sell us that uniform (and maybe the light blue shirts for the Service Uniform too, they are the same shirts) directly.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe they have them available w/o the USCG emblem since they are also work by USPHS & NOAA.

Eclipse

Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 28, 2022, 03:07:01 PMto adopted this uniform as well, maybe National can work out a similar arraignment with the Coast Guard Exchange and we could provide CAPIDs and they will sell us that uniform (and maybe the light blue shirts for the Service Uniform too, they are the same shirts) directly.

NHQ isn't even able to get what is supposed to be a supplier authorized by regulation to
accept orders from CAP members, let alone supplying info to the Coast Guard Exchange.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

I know its not "winter outerwear," but this is a helpful thing for uniform sizing, especially if you have older BDUs laying around to compare.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

UWONGO2

Quote from: Okayish Aviator on February 26, 2022, 04:03:04 PMI just heard from down the chain that Gen Phelka is actively seeking approval for OCP's for CAP wear. This is by and large due to the supply shortages on ABU's. I don't have any information regarding the timeline but we'll probably hear something official in the next 6-9 months.

That is contrary to what he said at the command council meeting.