Anyone ever suggest something other than shirt epaulet insignia for jackets?

Started by N6RVT, January 04, 2022, 03:20:21 PM

N6RVT

Especially shirt epaulets worn on a RAINCOAT.  Not only does it make the wearer look like a moron who has no clue how a uniform goes together, but that slide on insignia was never meant to be exposed to the weather like that. 

Also consider the lightweight jacket, where the top of the epaulet does not even detach, and we have to have some bizarre Velcro wrap around insignia made just for it

The grey slides on a shirt look just fine.  But they are very obviously intended for wearing on a shirt.

I'm not even going to suggest what should replace it, I am sure there are a dozen good ideas out there.

TheSkyHornet

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 04, 2022, 04:32:39 PMThe fact that we don't use pin-on insignia bewilders me.

We used to wear pin on insignia before the maroon at first and later grey epaulets were forced on us because of some member's misbehavior.

Shuman 14

So do like CAP did in the early days, change the color of the epaulet itself on the Service Coat and use pin-on rank. Make it grey or make it maroon like on the USAAF style uniform.

As to outerwear, pin-on rank with a CAP cutout worn centered between the rank insignia and the epaulet button.

Grey slides on blue or white shirts and sweaters only.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 04, 2022, 04:32:39 PMThe fact that we don't use pin-on insignia bewilders me.

Even more odd is that metal grade is still worn on the blue field caps.

Don't understand how this is still a thing, let alone ever was.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Shuman 14 on January 04, 2022, 06:45:41 PMSo do like CAP did in the early days, change the color of the epaulet itself on the Service Coat and use pin-on rank. Make it grey or make it maroon like on the USAAF style uniform. As to outerwear, pin-on rank with a CAP cutout worn centered between the rank insignia and the epaulet button. Grey slides on blue or white shirts and sweaters only.

Changing the epaulet itself would be the best choice heritage wise but would also be prohibitively expensive.   

Wearing a CAP Cutout on the epaulet along with rank was tried, but the USAF did not like it.

To anyone with actual military time, the slide on shirt rank worn on a jacket or coat makes you look like a moron.

However, doing research into this I find we have been wearing shirt rank on the coats for 30 years.  I now have zero hope in this ever changing.

NovemberWhiskey

So if you're wearing the raincoat over Class A uniform as a senior, you're wearing ... three stacks of grade slides on top of each other?

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2022, 06:52:47 PM

Even more odd is that metal grade is still worn on the blue field caps.

Don't understand how this is still a thing, let alone ever was.

Which is my "The insignia already exists. Let's apply it elsewhere" M.O.

Shuman 14

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on January 04, 2022, 07:13:11 PMChanging the epaulet itself would be the best choice heritage wise but would also be prohibitively expensive.   

How so? I could have sworn I saw a conversion kit for an enlisted coat to officer coat that offered two epaulets, two buttons and the thread needed to sew them in place for less than twenty bucks at the Exchange.

This one even throws in the cuff piping for under thirty.
http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-usaf-officer-jacket-conversion-kit-18231.aspx

Of course Vanguard has one too, at a higher price.
https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-air-force-shoulder-loop-conversion-kit-officer

A grey or maroon epaulet would be an easy do. It also has no effect on cadets, they could wear any color and not every senior has a Service coat. Technically a short sleeve shirt and trousers in light blue/blue or white/grey is all that is required.

Changing out or adding epaulets to Service coat would run about another twenty bucks at most tailors so say less than fifty bucks total for parts and labor.

That's not prohibitive.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

NIN

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on January 04, 2022, 03:20:21 PMAlso consider the lightweight jacket, where the top of the epaulet does not even detach, and we have to have some bizarre Velcro wrap around insignia made just for it

Five minute fix: Unstitch the top of the epaulet, sew on some velcro. No need for those awful-looking shoulder marks with the velcro there.

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on January 04, 2022, 03:20:21 PMThe grey slides on a shirt look just fine.  But they are very obviously intended for wearing on a shirt.

Over the years, the bottom of the shoulder marks has "opened up" a little to accommodate the service coat epaulet width.

When I get a set of shoulder marks intended solely for my shirts, I flip them inside out and add an extra  stitch along the seam to tighten them up by about a quarter of an inch.  Flip them right side out and give them a nice press between two clean pressing cloths. They look a whole lot more like many of the "new old stock" shoulder marks I have from the "before times" after that.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on January 04, 2022, 07:36:26 PMSo if you're wearing the raincoat over Class A uniform as a senior, you're wearing ... three stacks of grade slides on top of each other?

Hmm. Yeah. Which is why if I'm wearing my service coat, I'm often not wearing shoulder marks on my shirt.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on January 04, 2022, 10:13:38 PMFlip them right side out and give them a nice press between two clean pressing cloths.

Careful on the heat, or avoid the insignia itself altogether, too much
heat will take the metallic sparkle right off of them.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2022, 10:16:33 PMCareful on the heat, or avoid the insignia itself altogether, too much
heat will take the metallic sparkle right off of them.

Spoken like a man with experience.

Same experience I have.

I once received a set of aircrew wings for one of my officer's uniforms. They were pre-sewn, and badly at that. I unstitched and went to "press out the creases" so they could be correctly folded.  Well, one (badly) scorched set of aircrew wings later, I'm on Vanguard's site to buy another set for her.

And this was the "White on dark blue" days for the BBDU.

I was tres unhappy with myself. Rookie move.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Shuman 14 on January 04, 2022, 09:44:50 PMChanging out or adding epaulets to Service coat would run about another twenty bucks at most tailors so say less than fifty bucks total for parts and labor.

That's not prohibitive.

Conceivably this would actually make things cheaper, as we could all use enlisted service coats which can be had SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the officer ones.  This is basically an enlisted coat conversion kit, just with different color epaulettes.  But also requires access to a tailor to get it done.

Jester

Makes it easier to get a service coat too, since now you can either swap out epaulets on an officer coat or add them to the cheaper and more available enlisted service coat.

Shuman 14

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on January 05, 2022, 07:19:22 PMBut also requires access to a tailor to get it done.

Doesn't need to be a military tailor, most police uniform stores and civilian dry cleaners have a tailor on staff that can complete the work.

Most towns in America have drycleaner/tailor shop/uniform store within commutable distance.
Joseph J. Clune

biomed441

Lots of ways to skin this cat.  Lots of ideas I've seen through the years. Go back to the pin on rank and CAP cutouts, epaulet color modification, shoulder boards... even seen something like the US army leadership epualet loops but placed under the grade insignia.  I like all of these options (except the shoulder boards) better than grey slides on the coat. 

... side note wouldn't mind if we did something about our shoulder boards too.  The blue on blue gets lost and just looks boring to me. If you're gonna spend 40+ on shoulder boards at least make the braid a contrasting color... my 2 cents. Pardon the minor derailment there. 

Capt Thompson

I wouldn't mind the 80's maroon slides on the shirt, with maroon epaulets and pin on rank for the coat, I think that would look sharp, and the red is a throwback to our early days. There would be absolutely no mistaking a CAP member for actual Air Force.

While we're on the subject, the Cadet Officer shoulder boards are hideous and always have been. The only issue there is a lot of Cadets have the NCO service coats, which the shoulder boards are compatible with, but for what they cost you could easily convert to epaulets and do pin on rank for them as well.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Capt Thompson on January 06, 2022, 02:01:44 PMI wouldn't mind the 80's maroon slides on the shirt, with maroon epaulets and pin on rank for the coat, I think that would look sharp, and the red is a throwback to our early days. There would be absolutely no mistaking a CAP member for actual Air Force.

While we're on the subject, the Cadet Officer shoulder boards are hideous and always have been. The only issue there is a lot of Cadets have the NCO service coats, which the shoulder boards are compatible with, but for what they cost you could easily convert to epaulets and do pin on rank for them as well.

I'm on the opposite side. I think the maroon is hideous. The cadet shoulder boards on the service coat are visually a nice touch. I like the blue/black combo.

I still fully endorse pin-on insignia across the board, though. That is, unless a miracle occurred and we finally got OCPs and Velcro'd our way into the future...