Main Menu

Drill Guide

Started by CorsairPilot, December 02, 2021, 08:52:21 PM

CorsairPilot

Who is the guide if you don't have a guidon bearer? is it the 1st element leader? Thanks.

TheSkyHornet

Technically, speaking? Nobody. It's a specified drill position for formations.

In practice, I've seen the first element leader carry it. But that's not technically accurate. If you're lacking an "assigned" guide, you would grab someone else to do it.

I would recommend training all of your Cadet Airmen on guide protocol so that each of them is capable of swapping in at any time.

CorsairPilot

I have someone trained for guidon bearer, I just don't have a guidon yet.

Eclipse

Use a broomstick or similar pole.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on December 02, 2021, 09:52:57 PMUse a broomstick or similar pole.

A six to seven foot long piece of closet pole (from Home Depot or similar store) works very well. Get the skinny size.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

baronet68

Quote from: SarDragon on December 02, 2021, 10:29:37 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 02, 2021, 09:52:57 PMUse a broomstick or similar pole.

A six to seven foot long piece of closet pole (from Home Depot or similar store) works very well. Get the skinny size.

I know of a unit that needed flags and guidons for their unit, so they invited the local VFW to one of their squadron meetings as just a casual "get to know more about CAP" kind of thing. 

The squadron was sure to have their color guard practicing out front when they arrived... using brooms as their flags. 

VFW donated enough to cover new flags the very next day!
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

coudano

Quote from: CorsairPilot on December 02, 2021, 08:52:21 PMWho is the guide if you don't have a guidon bearer? is it the 1st element leader? Thanks.

The guide is NOT the 1st Element Leader.
The guide stands to the right of the 1st element leader in Line,
and in front of the last (4th?) element leader in column.

Your flight should always have a guide.
Whether the guide is carrying a guidon or not.

Capt Thompson

Quote from: CorsairPilot on December 02, 2021, 09:40:44 PMI have someone trained for guidon bearer, I just don't have a guidon yet.
The guide is not necessarily a guidon bearer, these are two separate positions. Technically, each Flight has a guide, but flights don't have guidon bearers, Squadrons do. Please reference CAPP 60-33, it will clear things up.

And yes, I realize they have flight guidon bearers at Encampment, and many Squadrons do this as well, but it's not technically correct per 60-33.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Capt Thompson on December 03, 2021, 07:33:09 PM
Quote from: CorsairPilot on December 02, 2021, 09:40:44 PMI have someone trained for guidon bearer, I just don't have a guidon yet.
The guide is not necessarily a guidon bearer, these are two separate positions. Technically, each Flight has a guide, but flights don't have guidon bearers, Squadrons do. Please reference CAPP 60-33, it will clear things up.

And yes, I realize they have flight guidon bearers at Encampment, and many Squadrons do this as well, but it's not technically correct per 60-33.

Correct.

Guidons in flights/platoons tend to only exist in training organizations, such as during basic military training. It's not standard to have a guidon below a squadron/company formation.

P60-33, as per usual with CAP pamphlets, does a poor job at using photos to properly reflect actual procedures. The manual makes it look at if there is always a flight guidon unless you really break down the actual text.

If you look at Figure 4.4 in P60-33, it shows everyone falling in with respect to the guidon bearer. If you look at the identical portion of AFMAN 36-2203 (Fig 4.4), there isn't a guidon. CAP over-explaining things to the point of inaccuracy...

Jester

Everyone has it covered but I want to double down on the closet pole as a "practice" guidon.  I have one I call the "beater stick" that the flight uses while they learn manual of the guidon.  Guidon actually comes out when needed. 

A guidon can easily amount to $200 when all the components are selected and purchased with quality in mind.  Let them drop the beater stick while they learn.