CAP Ribbons in the movies again

Started by Capt Thompson, October 25, 2021, 09:54:25 PM

Capt Thompson

Thought this was funny, the new Pacino movie, American Traitor: The Trial of Axis Sally was in interesting movie for you WWII fans, but even more interesting to know these Sergeants were Mitchell Cadets and the bottom one has his Earhart! Never even knew the Yeager award was around back then haha! ;D  ;D

By the way, the movie was actually decent, and is free to stream on Amazon Prime if anyone is interested!
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

baronet68

In a way, that's pretty good.  Based on just these two pictures, I can say that their uniforms are so messed up that I can "check my brain at the door" and just watch the movie for the story.  Otherwise, I'll spend too much time asking myself, "Why is that Colonel wearing a National Defense Service Medal in 1947?" 
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

MSG Mac

Those are all ribbons used by CAP (and there are CAP members working in Hollywood), But if you look at our ribbons, we use many that are obsolete military ribbons IE: search and rescue ribbon is an Army/AF Presidential Unit Citation without the frame, the CAC ribbon is an old Antarctic ribbon circa 1930's, etc. Many of our ribbons are also common to National Guards throughout the country.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Capt Thompson

Quote from: baronet68 on October 25, 2021, 10:57:59 PMIn a way, that's pretty good.  Based on just these two pictures, I can say that their uniforms are so messed up that I can "check my brain at the door" and just watch the movie for the story.  Otherwise, I'll spend too much time asking myself, "Why is that Colonel wearing a National Defense Service Medal in 1947?" 
That's the odd thing, they had 4 soldiers testify in the movie, and the other two seemed pretty accurate with just a few minor issues (don't think Ultrathin existed back then). It's almost like they tried for accuracy, got halfway through the costumes and gave up lol.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

N6RVT

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 25, 2021, 11:28:22 PMThose are all ribbons used by CAP (and there are CAP members working in Hollywood), But if you look at our ribbons, we use many that are obsolete military ribbons IE: search and rescue ribbon is an Army/AF Presidential Unit Citation without the frame, the CAC ribbon is an old Antarctic ribbon circa 1930's, etc. Many of our ribbons are also common to National Guards throughout the country.

Both of those ribbons are just solid colors.  There are only so many designs and patterns you can do without getting the detail so fine you can't figure out what they are from 4 ft away.

Even CAP does this to itself.  CAWG just got the National Commanders Unit Citation - which was originally the Wilson award upside down.  Which was corrected by changing it to look like the Navy Expeditionary medal, which I'm guessing not many of us have.

baronet68

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on October 26, 2021, 01:26:10 PM... CAWG just got the National Commanders Unit Citation - which was originally the Wilson award upside down.  Which was corrected by changing it to look like the Navy Expeditionary medal, which I'm guessing not many of us have.

You're crossing the streams there.  The National Commander's Citation is an individual professional development award from 1964-1978.  The National Commander's Unit Citation, as the name states, is a unit award created in 2006.  While the names are similar, the awards and ribbons for each are quite different from each other.  Yes, the NCUC definitely looks a lot like the Navy Expeditionary Medal.

http://www.mcchord.org/rack_builder/historic.asp
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

N6RVT

Quote from: baronet68 on October 26, 2021, 05:15:53 PMYou're crossing the streams there.  The National Commander's Citation is an individual professional development award from 1964-1978.  The National Commander's Unit Citation, as the name states, is a unit award created in 2006.  While the names are similar, the awards and ribbons for each are quite different from each other.  Yes, the NCUC definitely looks a lot like the Navy Expeditionary Medal.

Apparently the National Commanders citation, now 39 years gone, was replaced by the commanders commendation with a silver star on it.  Which I'm guessing is pretty rare, if an award went all the way to National you would probably get a DSM instead.  I *do* have a region level commanders commendation, and since I have a wing level award as well the ribbon gets both a bronze star and a clasp, which looks strange.

N6RVT

Quote from: Capt Thompson on October 25, 2021, 09:54:25 PMThought this was funny, the new Pacino movie, American Traitor: The Trial of Axis Sally was in interesting movie for you WWII fans, but even more interesting to know these Sergeants were Mitchell Cadets and the bottom one has his Earhart! Never even knew the Yeager award was around back then haha!

I also just found out these are post-1982 ribbon designs.  Which I should have known as I used to wear the old style ones

SarDragon

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on October 27, 2021, 08:28:24 PM
Quote from: baronet68 on October 26, 2021, 05:15:53 PMYou're crossing the streams there.  The National Commander's Citation is an individual professional development award from 1964-1978.  The National Commander's Unit Citation, as the name states, is a unit award created in 2006.  While the names are similar, the awards and ribbons for each are quite different from each other.  Yes, the NCUC definitely looks a lot like the Navy Expeditionary Medal.

Apparently the National Commanders citation, now 39 years gone, was replaced by the commanders commendation with a silver star on it.  Which I'm guessing is pretty rare, if an award went all the way to National you would probably get a DSM instead.  I *do* have a region level commanders commendation, and since I have a wing level award as well the ribbon gets both a bronze star and a clasp, which looks strange.

Nope.

As noted above, the National Commander's Citation is an individual professional development award from 1964-1978. It was replaced by the Gill Robb Wilson award, and they just turned the ribbon upside-down. The Commander's Commendation has nothing to do with PD.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

National Commander's Commendation
(Not that unusual, heck even I have one)

National Commander's Unit Citation

National Commander's Citation (Pre 1978)

Gill Robb Wilson (LV)

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

If nothing else someone should have noticed guy #2 earned his Garber twice.

Any military advisor would know that in 99.9% of the cases you would not have the
same ribbon in two places on the same rack.

(Unless, of course, you're in CAP and the USAF, in which case you could be wearing two, because of course you could).

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on October 27, 2021, 09:53:01 PMIf nothing else someone should have noticed guy #2 earned his Garber twice.

Any military advisor would know that in 99.9% of the cases you would not have the
same ribbon in two places on the same rack.

(Unless, of course, you're in CAP and the USAF, in which case you could be wearing two, because of course you could).

No, you would wear two in the same rack if you had more devices then you can have on an individual ribbon, which is four.

Example: If you have attended say 25 encampments you would wear four silver triangular devices on your first encampment ribbon and three bronze triangular devices on your second encampment ribbon.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on October 28, 2021, 12:19:27 AMNo, you would wear two in the same rack if you had more devices then you can have on an individual ribbon, which is four.

Example: If you have attended say 25 encampments you would wear four silver triangular devices on your first encampment ribbon and three bronze triangular devices on your second encampment ribbon.

Yes, if you're showing footers you'll notice that's what I have in mine,
but not the same as the example, which are non-adjacent.

The AW-FOUI, worn by CAP / USAF people on a CAP Air Force-Style uniform is probably the only example
where the same dec would be worn twice in a non-adjacent spot.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2021, 01:30:30 AM
Quote from: PHall on October 28, 2021, 12:19:27 AMNo, you would wear two in the same rack if you had more devices then you can have on an individual ribbon, which is four.

Yes, if you're showing footers you'll notice that's what I have in mine,
but not the same as the example, which are non-adjacent.

The AW-FOUI, worn by CAP / USAF people on a CAP Air Force-Style uniform is probably the only example
where the same dec would be worn twice in a non-adjacent spot.

Cute, try again.

N6RVT

Quote from: SarDragon on October 27, 2021, 09:16:49 PMAs noted above, the National Commander's Citation is an individual professional development award from 1964-1978. It was replaced by the Gill Robb Wilson award, and they just turned the ribbon upside-down. The Commander's Commendation has nothing to do with PD.

This is actually what  I meant to day, and the names being so similar caught me yet again.

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2021, 01:30:30 AMThe AW-FOUI, worn by CAP / USAF people on a CAP Air Force-Style uniform is probably the only example where the same dec would be worn twice in a non-adjacent spot.

You lost me, I am unaware of any circumstances where this is done.  The ribbon has the same place in the order of precedence regardless of why it was awarded.

Eclipse

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on October 28, 2021, 02:41:39 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2021, 01:30:30 AMThe AW-FOUI, worn by CAP / USAF people on a CAP Air Force-Style uniform is probably the only example where the same dec would be worn twice in a non-adjacent spot.

You lost me, I am unaware of any circumstances where this is done.  The ribbon has the same place in the order of precedence regardless of why it was awarded.

CAPR 39-3, ICL 18-02, Page 2:

"3. If you already have an AFOEA ribbon earned during military service, you may not add an
oak leaf cluster to that ribbon. You will add a second AFOEA ribbon, and place it below your lowest
military ribbon as noted above."

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

OK, guys, enough with the measuring contest.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret