20 KC-135s Were Rapidly Launched Out Of Fairchild AFB This Morning (Updated)

Started by JohhnyD, September 29, 2021, 11:19:54 PM

JohhnyD

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42569/at-least-17-kc-135s-were-rapidly-launched-out-of-fairchild-afb-this-morning

One of the largest, fastest launches of KC-135s anytime, anyplace. An amazing exercise!

(A fair number of our local members are current or former FAFB denizens....)

Pinecone

How times have changed.  Used to be a common occurrence to launch the alert B-52s and KC-135s.

I did my A-10 RTU (ANG) at Barksdale AFB.  I recall a couple of launches.  And several middle of the night engine starts on the -135s (alert pad was across the street from the BOQ.

Eclipse

Quote from: Pinecone on October 07, 2021, 02:36:17 PMHow times have changed.  Used to be a common occurrence to launch the alert B-52s and KC-135s.

Very common around here when ORD had a Reserve base.

My best friend was a Loadmaster and in the pre-911 world of the '90's, his ID could get us both
on base (sitting on a motorcycle at the end of end of 22R so close you thought they were landing on
you is something not soon forgotten).  I remember asking about the red bubblegum lights on all the poles and he
explained that was for alert launches of the fuelers - when they are on, everyone come to a stop and moves
out of the way.  Being in the mid-point of the country it wasn't unusual to get people calling out for gas.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on October 07, 2021, 03:11:48 PM
Quote from: Pinecone on October 07, 2021, 02:36:17 PMHow times have changed.  Used to be a common occurrence to launch the alert B-52s and KC-135s.

Very common around here when ORD had a Reserve base.

My best friend was a Loadmaster and in the pre-911 world of the '90's, his ID could get us both
on base (sitting on a motorcycle at the end of end of 22R so close you thought they were landing on
you is something not soon forgotten).  I remember asking about the red bubblegum lights on all the poles and he
explained that was for alert launches of the fuelers - when they are on, everyone come to a stop and moves
out of the way.  Being in the mid-point of the country it wasn't unusual to get people calling out for gas.

I take it you've never been to a SAC base then. Back then the alert force route lights were pretty common on SAC bases. Heck, they're still there on some bases like March ARB!