ISRs removed from inventories?

Started by Eclipse, August 13, 2021, 11:04:44 PM

Eclipse

It looks like all the ISRs have been removed from ORMs?

"That Others May Zoom"

NovemberWhiskey

Yeah, this happened in May and was announced to communications staff at the time.

Eclipse

Might be nice to announce it to people who have them.

So what was the directive to do with them?

I couldn't even find them in historical entries, so it doesn't seem
you could even track who had them.

Are these just abandoned in place?

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on August 13, 2021, 11:20:22 PMMight be nice to announce it to people who have them.

So what was the directive to do with them?

I couldn't even find them in historical entries, so it doesn't seem
you could even track who had them.

Are these just abandoned in place?

Each wing seems to have their own plan, so I'd reach out to your wing DC.

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: Eclipse on August 13, 2021, 11:20:22 PMSo what was the directive to do with them?

We can continue to use them until they're no longer operable but they have been removed from the Comm TA and are no longer being considered from the comm planning perspective. No further repairs from the NTC etc.

Before disposal, they have to be permanently inactivated since they can't be "unprogrammed" and use DoD frequencies - bang a nail through the middle of it or open it up and destroy the PCB. No retirement paperwork required.

Eclipse

This wins for the "Most CAP Thing You'll Hear today."

Devices which have sensitive frequencies and a requirement to be inactivated
yet have no mechanism for tracking possession or destruction.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Define sensitive.

They are essentially public knowledge, and readily available. Knowing a frequency, and using it, are very different things. I have transceivers capable of use on air band, ham band, and the commercial/government band that brackets the ham 2-meter band. I am actually permitted to operate on ham and CAP frequencies, and restrict my operation accordingly.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Holding Pattern

There were also a lot of these on ebay when the USMC stopped using them. I bought a few to learn how to repair ours if needed.

JayCraswell

As a guy that has seen perfectly fixable or useful as parts equipment be chopped up, smashed and heard of a repeater that had been carfully packed be steamrollered (Assuming that IS A word) please don't pound nails into ISRs. The ISR freqs can be googled or duckduckgo(ed)  Send them to me? ha. Ditto non working EF Johnsons *assuming you can get authorization. I had one sent to me from National by Mr Collins who sadly is no longer with us. It had the cables cut to demil it because it was deemed unfixable. I offered to return it after I fixed it because it was fixable.

One man's trash is another man's treasure!