National Commander Suspended

Started by SeattleSarge, August 06, 2007, 05:07:05 PM

Quote from: SeattleSarge on August 08, 2007, 03:29:10 PM
It is important, through this process, that our members, media, and the public realize our organization is still performing our mission....

http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=6901673

We're still training, we're still flying, we're still doing the work.

-SeattleSarge

Now this is the sort of story that should get out when the TP hits the big media market. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

SAR-EMT1

Is this whole incident likely to bring us in closer to the AF or push us farther away from it (permanently AUX OFF?)
Or will our relationship with the Air Force be greatly impacted by all this?
Might be a niave question, but Im in the dark when it comes to things like this.

Second question:
Who are the Seniorish folks on the BOG?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

tvh2k

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 08, 2007, 04:05:20 PM

CAP BoG List

Maj. Gen. Richard L. Bowling, CAP  was a former national commander (after Bobick).
Lt. Gen. Nicholas B. Kehoe, USAF  is the chairman.
Terence Van Hise, 1st Lt, CAP
C/2d Lt (select), AFROTC (Det 538)
C/Maj, AAS

O-Rex

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 08, 2007, 04:05:20 PM
Is this whole incident likely to bring us in closer to the AF or push us farther away from it (permanently AUX OFF?)
Or will our relationship with the Air Force be greatly impacted by all this?
Might be a niave question, but Im in the dark when it comes to things like this.

Second question:

Regardless of which way the wind blows, I think that eventually things will come together, and the family feud will cease.  the move to (U.S) Civil Air Patrol, Inc. is just part of the ebbs & flows of a work-in-progress, and another stage in our evolution.  Just at "this is not your Father's Civil Air Patrol," the ones our sons & daughters inherit won't be ours either.  But it's up to use to leave them a legacy of something to build upon...

JC004

I think BG Courter will make an excellent National Commander let's just hope the National Board and the BoG feel the same way.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Sgt. Savage

According to WFSA, in Alabama, "a top military commander, based in Montgomery, is suspended"

All I want to know is when can we get rid of the corporate uniforms, now that the news says we're in the military? Oh, and where's my meal card?

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=6901484&nav=0RdE

Pylon

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on August 08, 2007, 05:17:47 PMOh, and where's my meal card?

It's in the mail.  Just keep checking your mailbox and maybe someday it'll arrive.   >:D ;) :D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

CAPLAW

Let the Air Force take over.  Give us an AF General :)

I say let Commander CAP/USAF be the one in charge.  Plus the current guy is from my home town.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

mawr

Quote from: CAPLAW on August 08, 2007, 08:34:21 PM

They can't unless the official opinion about CAP only being the USAF auxiliary when only conducting USAF missions.  Congress would have to change us back to the way we used to be.  If we are always commanded by the USAF then we could be concidered the USAF's full time auxiliary.

I'm not against it happening but it would require a major change at the Congressional level.
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

a2capt

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on August 08, 2007, 08:35:45 PM
I say let Commander CAP/USAF be the one in charge.  Plus the current guy is from my home town.

Be careful what you ask for ...  ;)

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: CAPLAW on August 08, 2007, 08:34:21 PM

It might get us augmentation missions...   ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

^  Or it might get us some unforeseen negative results.
What's up monkeys?

BillB

IF CAP was under the Air Force as it was in the 50's through 70's I think it would be an improvement. In the first place there wouldn't be regulations designed only to protect the corporation. CAP could get back to the basics of SAR, assistance to USAF, cadet programs with added USAF support and AE. Look at all the cadet special activities that are no longer there.
But chances of USAF taking back control of it's Auxiliary are slim because the Air Force is a lot smaller organization, and there would be a lack of funding to support CAP activities. CAP/USAF would have to staff down to the Wing level, which wouldn't happen in the downsizing USAF.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JC004

Quote from: BillB on August 08, 2007, 09:56:30 PM
IF CAP was under the Air Force as it was in the 50's through 70's I think it would be an improvement. In the first place there wouldn't be regulations designed only to protect the corporation. CAP could get back to the basics of SAR, assistance to USAF, cadet programs with added USAF support and AE. Look at all the cadet special activities that are no longer there.
But chances of USAF taking back control of it's Auxiliary are slim because the Air Force is a lot smaller organization, and there would be a lack of funding to support CAP activities. CAP/USAF would have to staff down to the Wing level, which wouldn't happen in the downsizing USAF.

Not to mention the fact that they'd have to change the USC.

Lancer

The latest Via Google News Updates:
http://www.jacksonville.com/apnews/stories/080807/D8QT37480.shtml

Commander of Civil Air Patrol suspended during test-taking probe

By PHILLIP RAWLS
Associated Press Writer

MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The Civil Air Patrol has suspended its national commander, Maj. Gen. Antonio "Tony" Pineda, after investigating allegations that another patrol member took Air Force exams for him.

Maj. Gen. Richard Bowling, chairman of the patrol's board of governors, announced the board's suspension Tuesday. He said the suspension resulted from a special board meeting Sunday, where members received an inspector general's report concerning allegations against Pineda. The report was not made public.

Bowling said the suspension would be for up to six months while the board determines its final decision in the matter. During the suspension, Pineda is prohibited from contacting patrol members, Bowling said.

Pineda said Wednesday the suspension is unjustified and he has hired a lawyer to fight it.

"I've never cheated on any test in my life," he said in a telephone interview.

The Civil Air Patrol's vice commander, Brig Gen. Amy S. Courter, assumed the duties of national commander during Pineda's suspension.

The Civil Air Patrol is an Air Force auxiliary that is best known for conducting volunteer search-and-rescue missions throughout the nation. Its other operations include aviation programs for young people. It has 55,000 volunteers throughout the country, including the commander, and a paid staff of 100.

The Civil Air Patrol's inspector general announced on Dec. 21 that an investigation had begun of allegations that another patrol member took exams for Pineda in 2002 and 2003 that allowed Pineda to complete courses at the Air Force's Air Command and Staff College. The college and the patrol's national headquarters are at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery.

The investigation began after another patrol member, Lt. Col. Raymond Hayden of Tamarac, Fla., complained that Pineda had assigned him to take his exams.

Contacted Wednesday, Hayden said he spent three hours with the inspector general during the investigation and was not surprised by the suspension. "I knew it was coming down," said Hayden, who is no longer a member of the patrol.

Pineda is a retired special agent of the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and lives in Plantation, Fla. He said Hayden filed the complaint to retaliate against him for not stopping a patrol investigation of Hayden.

Pineda joined the Civil Air Patrol in 1988, becoming Florida Wing commander and then Southeast Region commander. He became the national commander in July 2005. A patrol news release announcing his selection two years ago noted that he was a graduate of the Air Force's Air Command and Staff College.

Emphasis mine.

RAZOR

O.K, I dont want to throw another log on the fire but this is to good to sit on. Sources within CAP are telling me that Pineda is trying to retire quietly and 'KEEP HIS STARS" >:D  This would be a slap in the face to all members of CAP.

Chaplaindon

I know that rumor is being promolgated by "he whose name shall not be spoken."

Even, if true, I wouldn't see it as a "slap in [MY] face."

In many ways, I think --for the good of the organization, its missions, and the need for healing (presuming --hypothetically-- the yet-to-be-proven allegations against CAP/CC are ultimately substantiated)-- a quick and relatively quiet ending to this chapter of CAP history would be beneficial for all.

Endless email battles, litigation, legal expenses and public embarassment may --ultimately-- be worse than letting someone "retire" (as though that term really means anything in CAP) with their "stars."

Insofar as I can recall General Harwell, whose actions brought about the "goofy grape" epaulets, retired with his.

An early, peaceful end to this painful mess would be to my liking. I am not out for any blood.
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

RAZOR

Quote from: Chaplaindon on August 09, 2007, 12:18:42 AM
I know that rumor is being promolgated by "he whose name shall not be spoken."

Even, if true, I wouldn't see it as a "slap in [MY] face."

In many ways, I think --for the good of the organization, its missions, and the need for healing (presuming --hypothetically-- the yet-to-be-proven allegations against CAP/CC are ultimately substantiated)-- a quick and relatively quiet ending to this chapter of CAP history would be beneficial for all.

Endless email battles, litigation, legal expenses and public embarassment may --ultimately-- be worse than letting someone "retire" (as though that term really means anything in CAP) with their "stars."

Insofar as I can recall General Harwell, whose actions brought about the "goofy grape" epaulets, retired with his.

An early, peaceful end to this painful mess would be to my liking. I am not out for any blood.

In as much this tyrant has ruined what little credability CAP had left. He whos name shall not be spoken, "Ray Hayden" was held hostage  by this TYRANT and threatened as well just like he threatened and coerced those who got in his way with membership action if they didnt do as he said. I believe in that good book you refer to that ye shall obey the laws of the land, and do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Well he did it to others and now he is having it done unto him. Where was the Chaplain CORP when he was wing commander and terrorizing Cadets and senior members? Those of us in the trenches stood up for the truth in good faith and did not hide behind those for the sake of protecting our membership, it's volunteer for what it's worth. Dont judge those who are honest and forthright for I can sleep at night with a clear conscience.