NOT A UNIFORM QUESTION: Leather Jacket care

Started by Hawk200, July 21, 2021, 02:27:44 AM

Hawk200

I'm figuring there are a few folks here that probably have leather jackets, so thought I'd ask here for advice.

No intent to wear with a CAP uniform, just putting that out there.

Got an old Cooper A2 goatskin jacket. Had it for probably 25 years.

Got some wear marks on it, but it has character instead of looking damaged.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of some type of renewal product? Not looking to re-dye it or anything, just basically moisturize the leather so it doesn't dry and crack.

Any ideas?

etodd

Check with the better Dry Cleaners in your area. Many of them also clean and renew leather.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Hawk200

Quote from: etodd on July 21, 2021, 02:53:12 AMCheck with the better Dry Cleaners in your area. Many of them also clean and renew leather.

I may look into that, but considering the age of this jacket, and it's condition, I'm a little leery of putting it in someone else's hands.

PHall

Check with a place that sells high end leather clothing, they can probably point you to a couple places in the area that can clean your jacket.
You don't your local cleaners working on your jacket. You want people who know what they're doing.

SarDragon

There's stuff at some auto parts places that is intended for leather upholstery, but works well on leather clothing. I had some stuff I used to use on my racing motorcycle leathers, but I don't recall the name.

Google "Leather Upholstery Cleaner", and you will find all kinds of products.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

There's leather lotion that is used on leather boots/shoes that does exactly what you describe on footwear (rehydrate the leather), might be worth checking into for jackets.