EFJ RS-5300 Software Upgrade

Started by Imouttahere, June 18, 2021, 03:25:33 PM

Imouttahere

Anyone able to assist or educate me about upgrading the firmware on a personally owned RS-5300?  The serial is 53170F083A, and on start up it's showing v3.16.21 and v1.30.16. I know some of these can't be upgraded for encryption. I'm just trying to figure out what I can and cannot do with this radio.

If someone's willing to help, I'll DM with my phone and email. I know we have many EFJ gurus out there. I'd love your assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arajca

Regarding encryption, most models can be upgraded. The 5317MT version cannot. As there is no support for these anymore, it may be impossible to get the upgrade.

Imouttahere

Quote from: arajca on June 18, 2021, 03:31:04 PMRegarding encryption, most models can be upgraded. The 5317MT version cannot. As there is no support for these anymore, it may be impossible to get the upgrade.
Is that a software upgrade to add the encryption or the addition of a board?

arajca

I think it was a software for the non-MT versions. I know it was for the 5100. IIRC, the MT was not built with that capability.

Imouttahere

I can across this website that seems to have most of the software and is a generally awesome resource.

https://wiki.w9cr.net/index.php/EF_Johnson

Is the 'Express Updater 5300' software (bottom of the page) the mechanism to do the firmware upgrades?

arajca

NovemberWhiskey

What's the endgame here? You mentioned encryption, is the goal to use this with encryption in CAP? If it's a personally-owned radio, you're not permitted to program CAP keys into it without specific permission from CAP/DOK, even assuming you do get it crypto-enabled.

EDIT: in any case, the most important thing you need to tell us is the model number, which is the long descriptor formatted like 242-5xxx-xxx-xxxx ... this actually tells us what's "in your radio".

Imouttahere

Honestly, the end game is to upgrade this thing so it doesn't run off of PCConfigure 01.30.07, which is the only version that I can't seem to install on any computer no matter how old.

Imouttahere

The model number is 242-5317-201-AAAB.

NovemberWhiskey

OK - this one is not encryption equipped (the 0 in the model number field plus absence of a SEM version basically confirms that). This is an early 2003 build with the oldest ARM logic board that I don't think supports firmware versions higher than 1.xx, so I don't hold out very much hope that you'll be able to use a new PCConfigure, I'm afraid.

There might be a 5300 guru out there who knows better. FWIW I use a Windows XP 32 bit virtual machine for programming these old radios, even then things are finicky with USB/serial adapters.

Imouttahere

I like the virtual machine idea. I'm going to try that now.

Imouttahere

Problem solved. Thanks for the discussion.

RBunn

Anyone know of a repair shop that works on the 5713.  I purchased one and lost the EBay seller info.  It receives but after the first 30 seconds fails to modulate on transmit.  I tested by using an HT on FM to check the receiver and listen to the transmitter.  Hate to trash it.

SM Rick Bunn
MAR-DC-060 101938

JayCraswell

Sorry for the very late reply. I really should be a tiny bit more active in CAPTALK. Anyway yes. I think I can help.  All of the versions of the EF JOHNSON 5300 *Except the prototype HC11 version can do encryption.  SEM is a chipset that EF Johnson came up with to mimic what Motorola used.  So you don't see SEM in anything but version 2 radios. Some versions 3, 4 and 6 (If memory serves) are actual Motorola crypto chipsets.  The version 1 do crypto in firmware.  Don't be too upset if your radio is not the newest there were some differences in the version 1 but after that they are so close you can swap some of the boards. Except for Version 6 which really is the only different one in the Handheld.  So in other words don't discard version 1 (or 2, 3) as not as good as ver 4 or 6 (No version 5 that I've ever seen!?) Its mostly just how they do Crypto but they all do it.  *You just need a Motorola KVL Keyloader of the right version (AES or just DES or the Moto crypto mode) or access to one as they are not cheap. There is a freeware KVL project that I may build some units for that will be dirt cheap.  If interested?

I used to have a regular business refurbishing EFJ 5300s and 5100s. I had a health scare which really nailed me but found the solution and pitched it to the right docs and short version is I've never felt better and that I'm back doing this. I have a fair stock of radios of various types. If its EF Johnson I can program, repair, update firmware etc.  *Although I'm missing the 6.18.0 express loader (Firmware Updater) so if anyone knows where a guy could find that?

If anyone is needing help they can call me (Advice and help I can give is free) I actually do this just as much to help CAP do the ES mission as I do to pay bills but I do make a few bucks so just be aware (so its not a conflict of interest)  If you call (505)333-93ZERO(uno) its the same number I've had for a while. If you leave messages they go into the bit bucket. Robot callers drove me up the wall. You can Email me at IHATESPAM@gmx.com except replace the hating spam bit with refurbatron   I've got a crude page up at https://refurbatron.bigcartel.com/
As you can see I'm no wiz at making web pages. I'm to have a properly done one (My girlfriend does this for a living thank God!) at refurbatron.com but don't know when she will have time.

BTW if for some reason you sent a radio to the Prior Lake address I appologize it was packed with everything else (still in the basement unpacked somewhere) while I was dealing with health stuff and anyway call and whatever you need I'll make good. My CAP customers "warranty" is I'll refund, replace (if I have one) or repair and lasts as long as YOU think its reasonable. Look for some other radios from other brands that are on the compliance list RSN (Real Soon Now)

JayCraswell

Quote from: Imouttahere on June 18, 2021, 07:16:01 PMThe model number is 242-5317-201-AAAB.

You can update that firmware to 1.32.11 (If memory serves) which is pretty great. Crypto can be enabled with some PC Software and a programming "Cable"  I designed and make one!  Just beware firmware changes don't let you change from version 1.xx.xx to anything else such as 6.12.4  The first digit is mostly about how that version of the radio does crypto.  Version 2 is the only SEM (EF JOHNSON CHIPS)  3, 4 and 6 (If I remember correctly) are Motorola chipsets or in version 1 handhelds they do it all in firmware. Older versions are very similar in other respects.  There is a rarely seen protype version (Pre Ver 1) the HC11 which will not do encryption and you need to program it at 9600 baud.