MASSIVE change to the Public Affairs SUI paperwork

Started by Holding Pattern, June 07, 2021, 08:12:31 PM

Holding Pattern

Regulation:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R190_001_70FAF7B447A02.pdf

QuoteSUI 01 Has the Unit PAO developed an annual PA plan to promote CAP, its goals and missions, IAW CAP regulations?

SUI 02 Was the PA plan completed IAW CAP regulations? Does the PA plan include the four step planning process for PA, including an evaluation of the previous year's goals?

a) Four Step:
Step 1) Determine PA needs and opportunities.
Step 2) Establish objectives designed to fulfill needs and opportunities identified in Step 1.
Step 3) Establish goals and action strategies for each objective.
Step 4) State the desired impact envisioned for each goal provided in Step 3.
b) Is an evaluation of the previous year's goals included in this step?

Latest SUI Worksheet:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/SUI_D6_Worksheet_MS_PA_47BDBC1A40479.pdf

Quote03 Does the unit PAO or Commander have a current copy of the wing's Public Affairs and Crisis Communications plans?

04 Is the unit conforming to the applicable sections of the wing's Public Affairs and Crisis Communication plans?

This is a massive change and it doesn't actually seem to be in line with the regulation by my reading. What am I missing here?

NovemberWhiskey

I don't think you're missing anything. It looks like the cart has arrived before the horse.

Both of those SUI items reference headings under 7.1.6 of CAPR 190-1, which section does not exist - the last heading under 7.1 is 7.1.3. I'm guessing we're expecting some updates to the regulation but the SUI paperwork has somehow gotten out ahead of it?

Holding Pattern

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on June 07, 2021, 09:02:37 PMI don't think you're missing anything. It looks like the cart has arrived before the horse.

Both of those SUI items reference headings under 7.1.6 of CAPR 190-1, which section does not exist - the last heading under 7.1 is 7.1.3. I'm guessing we're expecting some updates to the regulation but the SUI paperwork has somehow gotten out ahead of it?

If this is a sign of things to come, it looks to me like they are planning on gutting the PA position at the squadron level. Which IMO is a mistake. Effective PAOs at the squadron level working as the regulation written now intends are a force multiplier.

Capt Thompson

This was covered in a Memorandum sent to all Unit CC's and PAO's on 23 December.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

NovemberWhiskey

If only there was a process by which Interim Changes could be written in Letters pending updates to regulations.  ::)

Spam

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on June 07, 2021, 10:55:47 PMIf only there was a process by which Interim Changes could be written in Letters pending updates to regulations.  ::)

Truth!

Its never fair to have an inspection item on a lower unit to have something on hand that a higher unit may have never (a) generated/updated in the first place, or (b) shared or published with subordinate units. I've seen that pop up numerous times over the past 30 years.

Thank you to the shops that actually post draft regulations for comment (and actually gathered inputs) as part of an integrated process:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/emergency-services/small-unmanned-aerial-systems-operations/draft-regulations-pamphlets-and-manuals

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/cpofficer/provinggrounds

V/r
Spam

etodd

Quote from: Spam on June 08, 2021, 01:37:26 AMThank you to the shops that actually post draft regulations for comment (and actually gathered inputs) as part of an integrated process:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/emergency-services/small-unmanned-aerial-systems-operations/draft-regulations-pamphlets-and-manuals

^^^ "Draft" regs and manuals that have been in full use for training and missions for three years now. We were told from the start to consider them as official.

Whatever "process" was supposed to be used to certify ... dropped the ball three years ago.

Way past time for someone to just "whiteout" the word draft on them.

With technology like sUAS, you can't take three years to write this stuff. Needs to be days or a few short weeks.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

RiverAux

This is a very welcome change.  While I certainly understand the intent of the previous requirements it just wasn't practical when most units don't have a "real" PAO.  If you have someone that really wants to do the job, it would be best practice to at least do an annual plan, but when you have a Squadron CC filling that role because it was required, its just too much. 

Having squadrons produce crisis communications plans was always stupid since pretty much anything that counts as a crisis is going to be handled at Wing level anyway. 

Holding Pattern

Quote from: RiverAux on June 08, 2021, 06:39:38 PMThis is a very welcome change.  While I certainly understand the intent of the previous requirements it just wasn't practical when most units don't have a "real" PAO.

There is A LOT of useful data that can become actionable from a properly made PA plan that can extend to fundraising, recruiting, and potential mission partners.

The correct answer to no "real" PAO is to recruit one.

Eclipse

PAOs - another affectation of the USAF model that is effectively unnecessary, especially
at the unit level.

Evidence?

How many BSA units have a "Public Affairs Officer"?

PROTIP: Anecdotal success on Facebook doesn't equal a successful Public Affairs "program".

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on June 08, 2021, 07:39:22 PMPAOs - another affectation of the USAF model that is effectively unnecessary, especially
at the unit level.

Evidence?

PROTIP: Anecdotal success on Facebook doesn't equal a successful Public Affairs "program".

Two squadrons, a distance of 30 miles between the two. One has an active PAO program supported by wing. The other has an inactive PAO program that became inactive due to micromanagement by the wing. The same PAO worked for both squadrons in sequential order.

During the time squadron A slogged through the micromanagement and did the PAO program, in spite of the interference squadron A saw membership historicals of 51 members jump to 71 members as a high mark.

When we closed out PAO initiative we saw our numbers fall below historical levels (even pre-covid to be fair to the numbers)

Squadron B implementing a PAO initiative with the endorsement of a different squadron and wing command saw a jump in membership from 90 members to 136 members (THROUGH COVID!)

Squadron B's Facebook page has more activity than the entirety of the wing the PAO there was previously at.

Squadron B has more newspaper and other legacy media coverage than the entirety of the wing the PAO there was previously at.

And just for another oddball metric I think that squadron now has more SNCOs than the wing the PAO there was previously at.

A robust PA program at the unit level will be one of the most effective drivers of new members over any other program.

I've watched what happens when a PA program works in a straightjacket, when a PA program is shut down, and what happens when a PA program works with transformational leadership in play.

It's practically A Tale of Two Cities, and squadron B could be a benchmark example of how to both make a PA program work.

I suspect that Squadron B will hit 150 members by end of year. But they may surprise me and hit 200 if some of their other ideas get received well during the regular outreach initiatives done by the squadron PA program.

Maybe I'll talk to the squadron PA and command about writing a book on the subject, because really what they did at its core was follow the PAO regulations and pamphlets. There wasn't much beyond that needed.

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on June 08, 2021, 07:39:22 PMPAOs - another affectation of the USAF model that is effectively unnecessary, especially
at the unit level.

Evidence?

How many BSA units have a "Public Affairs Officer"?

I agree with you on a lot of issues, but I think we're parting ways on this one.  An effective PA program has the potential to make a significant difference for a unit.

Unfortunately, this isn't a job that most folks can do well and it isn't likely that most units will have one.  The stupid attempt to ultra-professionalize the PA program that resulted in the requirement for annual unit PA plans (even if you don't have a PA officer) just went too far. 

I could be convinced that consolidating most PA work at the group or wing level would be a wise use of resources, but think that we would want to retain the PAO as an optional position at the squadron level so that it would be available in those rare instances when someone that has the interest and capacity to do it, joins.

BSA is a horrible comparison to CAP in this case.  They only need a couple of adults to run a troop and can usually count on parents of members to do it.  CAP, even cadet units, needs more than just parents to have a good unit.  BSA is so well known that they can count on word-of-mouth for recruiting, but CAP needs to constantly put itself in front of the public to gain new members. I know that you're big on retention, but you have to get them in the door to be able to retain them and even if you have a great unit, you still can't count on word-of-mouth to maintain those numbers over time.

Additionally, CAP's ES role almost demands some form of active PA program to provide personnel necessary to serve or assist in PIO duties to inform the public of what is going on. 

Eclipse

^ Units don't need PIOs, there just needs to be a few professional spokespeople
at the Region or National level.

CAP hasn't had an OPS tempo that required more then that to "inform the public" in
a decade (if not more).

NHQ would like to think it does, bit it doesn't, and frankly, if it didn't inform
the public at all, it wouldn't have any impact on more, or less missions.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Without some number of PAOs working at the squadron and wing level just where do you think these regional and national "spokespeople" are going to get information in a usable format for them to speak about? 

Like most positions, it is most useful at the lowest level possible. 

PAOs certainly aren't the solution to many of the broken units out there.  But, without them no one is ever going to hear about the units that are doing things right.  We depend on keeping volunteers motivated and letting them know that someone, somewhere is doing some neat stuff is one of the ways that happens.  Getting some public recognition for what the members or units have done is one of the things that motivates people. 

There are significant challenges to being able to accomplish this that are only getting worse.  With the loss of so much of the local media it isn't likely that Maj. Donut is going to get his picture in the paper for getting a CAP award.  But, if the unit wins a cadet competition or participates in an interesting mission, you can still get coverage that might stimulate some interest in joining. 

I know that I have been the least motivated when there has been little public affairs activity.  In recent years I've been basically inactive and without an active PA program for all I know our Wing hasn't done anything but hold the annual encampment and wing conference.  Maybe some news is passed word of mouth, but it certainly isn't going out through official email lists, Facebook, or web pages.  Certainly isn't inspiring me to get back with it. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on June 08, 2021, 10:45:55 PMWithout some number of PAOs working at the squadron and wing level just where do you think these regional and national "spokespeople" are going to get information in a usable format for them to speak about?

The same place they get it now - random people posting on TwitSpace and / or forwarding stories
to NHQ.

You don't need to be a PAO to do that, you just need some posting guidelines.

FSM knows that a lot of "PAOs", including at NHQ, don't adhere to them anyway, nor branding,
or many of the other rules, so why bother?

Quote from: RiverAux on June 08, 2021, 10:45:55 PMIn recent years I've been basically inactive and without an active PA program for all I know our Wing hasn't done anything but hold the annual encampment and wing conference.

And as an inactive member, what use do you have for this info?

Active members know what is going on, inactive ones don't need to know, and it's all happening
in commercial media anyway, so again, who's fooling who?

I would hazard at least 50% of the stories posted are about things that happened decades ago to
deceased people, 1/3 are about things that people hope will happen that never will, and the rest
is about the local air show.

"That Others May Zoom"

JohhnyD

PAO/PIO/PR by whatever name, if a unit does NOT have a presence in the community; an organized voice that promotes the programs, helps raise funds, and supports the recruiting and retention program, they will wither and die.

A robust program will engage with potential customers as well as the above.

When this happens, good things happen all across the board. NCOs appear and programs grow, people recognize what we do.

Grow or die.

JohhnyD

Quote from: Eclipse on June 08, 2021, 07:39:22 PMHow many BSA units have a "Public Affairs Officer"?
Every BSA Council has one.

https://www.scouting.org/resources/los/positions/

public relations director: Responsible for the development and implementation of the council public relations program.

JohhnyD

Quote from: Eclipse on June 08, 2021, 07:39:22 PMPROTIP: Anecdotal success on Facebook doesn't equal a successful Public Affairs "program".
Actual data, coupled with a control group does though. And we have done exactly that. Your carping aside, effective community engagement works. Your style of EEYOREing everything, well, not so much.

JohhnyD

Quote from: JohhnyD on June 11, 2021, 12:35:05 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 08, 2021, 07:39:22 PMHow many BSA units have a "Public Affairs Officer"?
Every BSA Council has one.

https://www.scouting.org/resources/los/positions/

public relations director: Responsible for the development and implementation of the council public relations program.

BTW that means the BSA has hundreds of them. But otherwise, your arguments are just opinions, void of fact.

JohhnyD

Quote from: Eclipse on June 08, 2021, 11:37:05 PMAnd as an inactive member, what use do you have for this info?
He told you:

Certainly isn't inspiring me to get back with it.