We need a topic area called Friendraising!

Started by JohhnyD, June 06, 2021, 02:14:26 AM

JohhnyD

NHQ has authorized a new position called "Development Director" or "Director of Development" at the NHQ, RHQ and WHQ level. Let's have a place to discuss this and help make more friends!

There is a word "Friendraising"; which defined as the "Prerequisite for Raising Money;
Successful fundraising is not impossible if you have established positive ongoing relationships with your community. People will donate to organizations they are familiar with. If you have to tell them who you are and what your missions are, you're chances of receiving funds is minimal. Consistent, positive public relations can lead to both fundraising and recruiting. When people are already familiar with Civil Air Patrol, they are more likely to support you with both funds and participation."
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=19282.msg354880#msg354880

etodd

Which can begin with a PAO who is actively sending out Press Releases to local media, posting often on social media, and marketing those accounts to grow followers.

Joining the local Chamber of Commerce, and attending all the mixers and other events, will get you in the face of business people who could contribute. Need to pick just the right person to attend. Someone good at this. A successful sales type person. Sending the wrong person can have the wrong effect.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

JohhnyD

Quote from: etodd on June 06, 2021, 11:28:59 AMWhich can begin with a PAO who is actively sending out Press Releases to local media, posting often on social media, and marketing those accounts to grow followers.

Joining the local Chamber of Commerce, and attending all the mixers and other events, will get you in the face of business people who could contribute. Need to pick just the right person to attend. Someone good at this. A successful sales type person. Sending the wrong person can have the wrong effect.
Indeed. But that is just one, small (but truly important) part of the new Development Directorate.

etodd

Anyone know how much "friend" fundraising Hdqs "has to do" to pay the bills? Are we not being federally funded enough? I know local squadrons have to sell wreaths and more to pay the rent, light bill and more for meeting space, hence my suggestions above. But is Hdqs not funded?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Fubar

Quote from: etodd on June 06, 2021, 08:19:49 PMAnyone know how much "friend" fundraising Hdqs "has to do" to pay the bills? Are we not being federally funded enough? I know local squadrons have to sell wreaths and more to pay the rent, light bill and more for meeting space, hence my suggestions above. But is Hdqs not funded?

Nope.

Federal appropriations pay for NHQ employees, airplanes, vans, and gas. Plus a few national-level programs that probably don't affect anyone at the wing level or below. Other than that, everything is member-funded through dues or directly from our pockets.

Region commander's $5-7K travel budget to make all the national meetings? Member dues. Re-roof the squadron building at the airport? Pass the hat.

It's not uncommon to see a $700,000+ airplane parked next to a CAP building held up with duct tape and bondo.

Spaceman3750

I've said for a long time that CAP units only exist at the benevolence of the community they exist in. If the community doesn't support the unit, it fails regardless of how much need there is.