A pleasant surprise when a former cadet turned SM joined our squadron...

Started by Holding Pattern, May 25, 2021, 06:24:18 PM

Holding Pattern

Their entire cadet record populated in e-Services.

Being one of those cadets from the pre-internet days that rejoined and had to go document hunting, I must say it is nice to see all the data just... there.

baronet68

How far pre-internet were you?  My records from the 80's were seemingly missing when I rejoined as a SM in 1991.  For almost 20 years, I just figured they were "gone".  However, during a phone call to Membership Services about something else, I asked and found out that they still have the old database records available and my missing cadet milestone data was populated in eServices the next day.  Granted, it's only the milestone, activities, and join date data that was on the old-school green-bar MML (Monthly Membership List) printouts they used to send, but better than nothing.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Holding Pattern

Quote from: baronet68 on May 25, 2021, 06:31:20 PMHow far pre-internet were you?  My records from the 80's were seemingly missing when I rejoined as a SM in 1991.  For almost 20 years, I just figured they were "gone".  However, during a phone call to Membership Services about something else, I asked and found out that they still have the old database records available and my missing cadet milestone data was populated in eServices the next day.  Granted, it's only the milestone, activities, and join date data that was on the old-school green-bar MML (Monthly Membership List) printouts they used to send, but better than nothing.

Not too far back. But record entry for things like encampments and promotions weren't well done. I have about 90% of my record back. But seeing every promotion, o-flight, encampment, and achievement showing up for someone was a pleasant surprise. I still counsel members that leave to make a print out of everything just in case, but it seems things are working rather well now.

TheSkyHornet

I had similar with a senior member coming back after a two-decade gap.

Everything was put right back in. Dates, milestones, promotions, accomplishments. I took a deep sigh of relief.

Capt Thompson

I had a 13 year gap from 2001 - 2014, found out my previous Squadron had folded and another Squadron inherited all of the old file cabinets so I reached out, only to find that they held onto my file up until a few months previous, when they were getting ready for an SUI and realized they couldn't have old files laying around.

Eservices had my join date, encampment, and the dates of my Mitchell and Earhart, but everything else was gone. From my join date to my Earhart was just over 5 years, so that was evidence of the Red Service, but there was no record of things like ground team quals, which just meant I couldn't wear that badge until later in the year when I got the qual back. Incidentally, I had earned my Earhart just before leaving, and never received the certificate, so I called NHQ and asked if there was any way I could obtain a copy, and a new certificate arrived at my door about a week later.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)