Education and Training program: Is it ready yet?

Started by Holding Pattern, May 20, 2021, 08:23:38 PM

Holding Pattern

In the computer world I love beta testing software and hardware. Bleeding edge technology? Sign me up.

In my volunteerism, when it comes to new programs for me to sit or click through, I'm... less enthused at being a beta tester. So I've basically ignored the E&T program so it could get through its growing pains.

That said, have the major issues been resolved with the program? I heard quite a few complaints about the enrollment program and later the management of cohorts when it took off; I wanted to make sure they were resolved before committing my volunteer time to the program.

dwb

I am still recommending the face-to-face modality, particularly for levels 2 and 3. You can knock those out more efficiently via the Virtual In-Residence program, or a local (or wing) event. We just ran a 2&3 event this past weekend on Teams, and we had 39 students and 25 modules (10 L2 and 15 L3).

I am running a Level 4 face-to-face (which is actually over Teams) for my wing. We have 25-30 students per session, and I have to say the conversations have been awesome. We have a really good group. They are so engaged in the discussion; it has surpassed my expectations by a mile. And frankly, I've learned a ton listening to them.

God willing and the creek don't rise, I will finish Level 5 myself in the next 60 days, and in 2022 I can run a Level 5 program for the wing the same way we're doing Level 4 now.

I am wrapping up my L5 online cohort as a student, and honestly it's been a struggle to get it done. AXIS is still awful as a platform. There's not quite enough structure with not quite firm enough deadlines to nudge you along. And it is a TON of work. I have definitely spent more hours on this than I would have at National Staff College.

Anyway, those are my honest thoughts. You get a good group on Teams or in a real classroom, and it can be great. But the online cohorts are still pretty tough. I think it's just the nature of that modality.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

And Axis on the instructor side is worse.

ZigZag911

I've been  taking  Level V as a student.

Two aspects don't  impress me.

First the requirements are over the top. We've moved from a system with minimal requirements - essentially  attendance, participation and a group presentation -- to one involving extensive reading, quizzes, asynchronous postings as "discussions", and poorly defined written assignments that largely amount to busy work.

Second, the bulletin board style discussionsheet are pointless. It would have made far more sense, and been much more useful, to organize virtual discussion groups within the cohorts,  holding monthly or quarterly sessions.