DOD Expands Civilian Access to Military Exchanges...

Started by Holding Pattern, April 29, 2021, 07:06:22 PM

Holding Pattern

... but not to CAP yet.

""Every shopper of the exchange helps improve the military community and the benefit for service members and their families," said Patricia "Patty" Montes Barron, deputy assistant secretary of defense for military community and family policy. "We welcome our DOD and Coast Guard civilian employees to take advantage of the convenience and familiarity of military exchanges. Shopping at our military exchanges is a quality of life experience that serves the community in ways no other commercial entity does.""

Perhaps we should have governmental affairs ask if civilian auxiliaries might increase that "every shopper" number a bit?

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Releases/Release/Article/2590000/department-of-defense-expands-access-to-military-exchanges/source/GovDelivery/

SarDragon

I think the issue will be base access. The employees are already vetted, and have routine access. Individual exchanges have allowed their employees to shop there in the past on a similar basis - no alcohol, tobacco, or uniforms.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Holding Pattern

Quote from: SarDragon on April 29, 2021, 07:49:02 PMI think the issue will be base access. The employees are already vetted, and have routine access. Individual exchanges have allowed their employees to shop there in the past on a similar basis - no alcohol, tobacco, or uniforms.

Blast, I forgot to quote the most relevant part of the article:

"Online exchange access will also be available for active and retired DOD and Coast Guard appropriated fund and nonappropriated fund civilian employees by mid-October."

I definitely buried the lede there...

Spaceman3750

Other than blues, does Exchange have anything I can't get cheaper/faster on Amazon?

SarDragon

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 29, 2021, 08:39:29 PMOther than blues, does Exchange have anything I can't get cheaper/faster on Amazon?

Brand-for-brand, online, probably yes. For going into the actual stores, almost certainly yes, particularly if there's sales tax involved.

Being able to shop in the exchange, for most customers, is not all about uniform items. It's everything else - clothing, housewares, electronics, etc.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

Quote from: SarDragon on April 29, 2021, 09:33:54 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 29, 2021, 08:39:29 PMOther than blues, does Exchange have anything I can't get cheaper/faster on Amazon?

Brand-for-brand, online, probably yes. For going into the actual stores, almost certainly yes, particularly if there's sales tax involved.

Being able to shop in the exchange, for most customers, is not all about uniform items. It's everything else - clothing, housewares, electronics, etc.

I get better deals off base most of the time.

SarDragon

Quote from: abdsp51 on April 30, 2021, 11:01:24 PM

Same brands, same items? That is the only fair comparison.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etodd

Military exchanges are a .... "benefit for service members and their families."

^^^ Benefits for low paid military families who need every benefit they can get.

That does not, and IMHO, should not, include us "civilian" volunteers.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Ned

Here in a high sales tax state (around 10%) I have found the exchange to be a good deal, particularly for higher priced items.  Yes, the brands and models are somewhat limited.  And the service is not exactly Amazon Prime quality.  But particularly these days, 5-10% savings can make it worthwhile.

JohhnyD

Quote from: etodd on May 01, 2021, 01:55:32 AMMilitary exchanges are a .... "benefit for service members and their families."

^^^ Benefits for low paid military families who need every benefit they can get.

And yet if they extended full benefits to CAP, the added volume would increase their profits and allow LOWER prices for the service members - active and retired.

Win - win - win.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on May 01, 2021, 01:55:32 AMMilitary exchanges are a .... "benefit for service members and their families."

And yet this news release shows that the DOD policies are in contravention of your opinion as they add "civilian" DOD employees.

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: etodd on May 01, 2021, 01:55:32 AMBenefits for low paid military families who need every benefit they can get.

Base exchanges are operated on a for-profit basis without really any significant subsidy, other than the tax advantages of being part of the U.S. Government.

Are you sure you're not thinking of commissaries? Those are indeed subsidized to operate on a cost-plus basis.

JohhnyD

Quote from: SarDragon on April 29, 2021, 07:49:02 PMI think the issue will be base access. The employees are already vetted, and have routine access. Individual exchanges have allowed their employees to shop there in the past on a similar basis - no alcohol, tobacco, or uniforms.
We, on the other hand, get uniforms but nothing else.

etodd

Quote from: NovemberWhiskey on May 01, 2021, 01:40:24 PMAre you sure you're not thinking of commissaries? Those are indeed subsidized to operate on a cost-plus basis.

Good point. I'm confusing the two.

SarDragon

Exchanges are non-appropriated fund activities, and as such, must be self-supporting. If increasing the customer base to all the folks who work on the base helps that cause, why not? The "profits" go to fund Recreation Services activities on the bases, and many bases allow the civilian workers access, for the same reason.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: JohhnyD on May 01, 2021, 01:55:34 PM
We, on the other hand, get uniforms but nothing else.

Untrue.  CAP members who meet, have facilities, or participate in activities on military bases have
access to purchase just about anything from an exchange (except alcohol and tobacco).

See AFI10-2701, page 12.

I've also never seen anything at an exchange that wasn't cheaper and more easily attained
at normal retail establishments like Walmart, (and these days Amazon) which are often right
down the road, and that includes fuel, which is mandated to be commensurate with the prevailing
price in the area to insure fair competition with local gas stations.

Sure, if you're mid-encampment or mission and need something quick, or lunch, the exchange
can be handy, but otherwise, assuming gate access isn't a hassle it's just as easy to run
down the street and get what you need.

Nothing beats the mil-spec Flowbees for a quick haircut, though.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: SarDragon on May 01, 2021, 01:47:58 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on April 30, 2021, 11:01:24 PM

Same brands, same items? That is the only fair comparison.

Yep. 

SarDragon

Not my experience in my part of the world (SoCal).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etodd

Yes, you can buy most anything cheaper on Amazon. So can we be honest here? How many just want to put on their uniform and be able to walk around on a base? ;)

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on May 02, 2021, 01:33:56 AMYes, you can buy most anything cheaper on Amazon. So can we be honest here? How many just want to put on their uniform and be able to walk around on a base? ;)

ONLINE access. I suppose some people put into the uniform to use it, but that seems overkill to me.

N6RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on May 01, 2021, 08:59:11 PMAnd yet if they extended full benefits to CAP, the added volume would increase their profits and allow LOWER prices for the service members - active and retired.
Win - win - win.

As a retired Captain, I totally agree with you.  The only exchange anywhere near me is El Segundo and it seems to be offering less & less, most likely because it doesn't have the business to support it.  And the only reason I ever went there it because it was between my home and KTOA.

Most of the little independent shops that were in the same complex have closed too.

For that matter Clothing Sales was pretty lame.

abdsp51

Quote from: SarDragon on May 02, 2021, 01:05:30 AMNot my experience in my part of the world (SoCal).

Part of why I left the less than golden state.

abdsp51

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on May 02, 2021, 09:06:13 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 01, 2021, 08:59:11 PMAnd yet if they extended full benefits to CAP, the added volume would increase their profits and allow LOWER prices for the service members - active and retired.
Win - win - win.

As a retired Captain, I totally agree with you.  The only exchange anywhere near me is El Segundo and it seems to be offering less & less, most likely because it doesn't have the business to support it.  And the only reason I ever went there it because it was between my home and KTOA.

Most of the little independent shops that were in the same complex have closed too.

For that matter Clothing Sales was pretty lame.

Considering that LA AFS is mainly GS and Contactors hardly suprising. 

Jester

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 03, 2021, 12:10:34 AMConsidering that LA AFS is mainly GS and Contactors hardly surprising. 

With Space Force adding LA AFB as a location, I wonder if they'll expand it at all. 

Mustang

By that logic, it shouldn't include officers and senior NCOs since they are not "low paid".
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "