Main Menu

Across the Pacific - APT

Started by Brit_in_CAP, June 12, 2020, 02:11:29 PM

Brit_in_CAP

I should have posted this earlier; I've been watching an excellent short series produced by APT and the Pan Am Historical Foundation - "Across the Pacific".  The series recounts the 1935 crossing of the Pacific Ocean by Pan AM flying boat, the China Clipper. It was available via our local PBS station.

It's a documentary series but it uses some dramatic re-enactments in addition to the usual interviews, film clips etc. 

Personally, I found it fascinating.  I think it might be of general interest rather than a specific AE topic, but YMMV.

The last episode ran last night but I'm sure it will be repeated and be available in other outlets.

Spam

Do you know if PBS has it online/got a link?

I had the pleasure of flying Pan Am transpacific to Guam and to Okinawa back in 1978... am interested in the topic.

Thanks!
Spam

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Thompson

I just watched this, very interesting thanks for the share. I'll have to watch the other two episodes after work tonight!
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

MSG Mac

Hopefully, they'll show the story of the Clipper that was caught in the middle of December 41 and wound up flying around the world one step ahead of the Japanese,
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 14, 2020, 12:48:01 AMHopefully, they'll show the story of the Clipper that was caught in the middle of December 41 and wound up flying around the world one step ahead of the Japanese,

That was an amazing story. The Long Way Round
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Great program. Kinda nice to see what the Wake Island facilities looked like before the Japanese did a little urban renewal when they invaded.
I used to fly to Wake, Johnson and Midway Islands and Kwajalien Atoll when I was in the Air Force Reserve.
Some parts of the old PanAm facilities on Wake are still there like the old seaplane ramp.
But the major building effort after the war when Wake became a refueling stop for the MATS transports of the day did result in some the old facilities being removed or rebuilt.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: MSG Mac on June 14, 2020, 12:48:01 AMHopefully, they'll show the story of the Clipper that was caught in the middle of December 41 and wound up flying around the world one step ahead of the Japanese,

Sadly not.  The last episode covers the effort to make the link to Hong Kong and than rapidly glosses over WW2 and the post-war development.  For me, I think once episode would have been a good idea; the last one felt very rushed at the end.   

Capt Thompson

Just came across this video about the Pacific Clipper: https://youtu.be/B0GbkM6n90o
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)