Congratulations, your're the new National Commander...now what.

Started by Nick Critelli, July 15, 2007, 02:42:34 PM

Eclipse

A 6-month all stop on anything that is not critical or not already paid for.

During that time:

All regulations, manuals, pamphlets, and other documentation are brought into compliance and agreement.

Baseline surveys are taken to ascertain the real state of the program, readiness, response abilities, and member engagement.

Unbiased calendar deconfliction is required of all wings with region guidance, to include all major activities, ES evals, and major training
activities.  The same is done at the national level.

Going forward, the SUI's and CI's are treated as snapshots, not final exams, and all policies, regs, and procedures, including accepting the
attrition they will generate, are enforced as written.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: LTC Don on May 30, 2011, 03:12:00 PM
It would seem to me that the steering of the National Commander would come from the CAP Constitution and Bylaws, but also certainly from:

Do we (or the National Commander), as CAP need to take a hard look at what we have considered our 'missions' for so long and whether they even fit what we are supposed to be doing as directed by Congress?   And if it is decided that our current paradigm of CP, ES, and AE need to be restructured or massively overhauled; how do we begin that process and what would the end game look like.

What we don't need is a movie that ends as Charlie Wilson's War did.  :o

I'm particularly interested in number four, as DR guy for my wing.  As I watch the news day after day surrounding the coverage of the recent tornadoes, as well as monitoring various other local news sites and our own national CAP news, I'm greatly concerned that CAP, besides the occasional aerial photog flight, hasn't had much activity responding to these multiple disasters of monstorous proportions. Given the scale of the flooding and tornadic activity so far this year, we should have literally thousands of CAP personnel participating in response and recovery efforts.  If we don't in fact have this level of response to these disasters, then why not?  This is our job, and it ain't getting done.

But, I fear that as everyone is so keen on pointing out; that recruiting and retention are important issues, no one has been able to develop a solid recruiting/retention program that works consistently.

"Opportunties to Serve"

Ned hit it pretty good earlier in this thread.  With over 300 million citizens in the US, CAP can claim a whole 65,000 (or so) as members? 

As DR guy in my wing, I have multiple programs under development.  DR requires huge numbers of manpower to be versatile and usable to Fed/State/Local agencies.  Unfortunately, we only have about 1,400 members in our wing to draw from, and this is a real problem.  I feel we have truly hurt ourselves by thinking all these years of hunting down ELTs at 3AM was actually important, and we are feeling the actual by-product of that mindset.

I"m still trying to wrap my head around why a CAP member in my wing, a very active member, is responding to Joplin, MO with the American Red Cross, and not his CAP unit.  Something just doesn't seem right, that other national-level organizations are still responding into these areas (even as flooding is still occurring, moving down-river towards the gulf), yet we aren't hearing about massive CAP movements of personnel and resources into the disaster areas.

So I guess, bottom line, after being on the soap-box a bit is:  Just what is our job supposed to be?  And, after defining that, is it meaningful enough to attract adult members willing to put in ridiculous volunteer hours, pay dues, and pay for equipment and uniforms over the long term?

Cheers,

Don, you raise some good points.  I agree with each of them however, it's not "if" we're doing anything, It's "are" we doing anything.  I would say Yes.  but, for some reason, you're not getting the "PR" output from NHQ. 

SAR/DR is as important now as it was pre "406MHz" however, we need to refocus our assest more to the "DR" portion.  We are good at what we do in this aspect of ES.  It is important and, it is worthwhile.  And, I disagree with RiverAux's view we are not trained better than the "random group of spontaneous volunteers" that may show up.  Our air and ground crews are well trained and, have the admiration of 1st AF and AFRCC.  We also don't look to bad on CNN...  However, we do need to do a better job of telling our story. 

We need a better way to "proselytise" our nation's Aerospace Power and in contributing to the betterment of the aviation community.  No argument here.  It should not be to difficult since we do have an "in" with the Holme Center (ROTC programs).  Of course, we still have a great untapped resource with our School Program. 

The questions which need to be asked, IMHO, are; how do we make what we have more attractive to potential members?  How can we stand out better?  What do we do which no other organization does better?  How do we attract contributors to better develop our programs and reach more people. 

It not "if" we are living up to our mandates, it's how well a job we're doing?   And, with a membership which has not seen any significant growth in the last 12 years or, has seen any real changes in funding, I think we have an answer...

RiverAux

Quote from: FW on May 30, 2011, 03:56:25 PM
And, I disagree with RiverAux's view we are not trained better than the "random group of spontaneous volunteers" that may show up.  Our air and ground crews are well trained and, have the admiration of 1st AF and AFRCC. 
I was speaking specifically of ground-based CAP resources in DR situations and in that context we essentially have no program or training.  If our local GT shows up at the tornado site, just what do we bring to the table for that scenario that a local church group doesn't?  What about during or after a flood?  If anything we're probably somewhat less capable because we won't be bringing chainsaws, ATVs, etc. and other equipment that could help.  Our single advantage (which is actually not to be sneezed at) is that we are an organized group with a command structure that can care for itself for a short time. 

In ground SAR we have some assets and I'm satisfied with the training program itself (though implementation of the training and realistic testing of our capabilities at SAREVALs are still issue). 

arajca

Quote from: blackrain on May 30, 2011, 03:33:11 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on May 30, 2011, 05:00:36 AM
RVT: No, I'm not running.  I'm a can short of a sixpack now and then, but not yet that insane.

Space: Simply due to logistics.  BDU's are being phased out, and even one of our squadron members (dual CAP-ANG membership) agreed they're going to be harder and harder to find.  There have been a million and one different stories about the future status of ABU's, MULTICAM, etc. so I don't know what to do with that.  I would amend my statement to solid green BDU's, the shade of the old pickle suits.

Couple weeks ago while I was inventorying my unit equipment I came across a LOT of old woodland equipment (Alice Packs, LBVs etc) I would like to have given to CAP. Found out from the E-7 (seems very squared away and on the up and up) running supply that it all had to go to DRMO because they had let contract to the private sector entities for it's disposal. Hated to see it go that way as it was just taking up valuable storage space for another month until it was actually shipped to DRMO.

I do have my old Woodland BDUs I converted to a CAP uniform.

That said maybe BBDUs will be the way to go in the future. Not the cheapest way to go but that may end up being best way
The equipment has to go to DMRO, but each wing has, or should have, at least one screener to get equipment out of DMRO. Find out who this person is and let them know about the equipment and when it's going. If they're squared away, they can be there when the equipment arrives and screen it out for CAP. The reason it goes to DMRO is not to let private contractors have it, it's to provide a documented record for disposal and a central point to make available equipment known to agencies.

Typically, the stuff that makes it to the bid stage has not been wanted by other DoD entities, law enforcement, state agencies (there are some provisions for this), CAP, or any of the myriad of entities authorized to draw from DMRO.

Antoher option, depending on how far away your unit is from DMRO, is to request local disposal in coordination with the CAP screener.

sarmed1

I dont want to hijack ths to far into an ES thread however, I'll start there: 
I have to agree with RM here.  Where the aviation assets that CAP brings to the SAR/DR arena are almost unmatched by any other civil agency the ground assets, specifically in the DR mission are lacking.  The best that they have going for them is 72 hours of self suffeciency.  There is no ground DR skill set; wilderness SAR and missing aircraft SAR skill sets dont really hit it (a better grouping than joe schmo off the street has but.....)  If DR is an arena that CAP wants to be more than just a "water passer outer", develop a 101 qualification to meet the most common mission needs. 
As far as the GSAR mission I think CAP is good, but not good enough.  Civilian SAR units (for many areas that I have encountered) have passed CAP by when it comes to response time and equipment and to a certain aspect personnel (10 12-16 year olds and 2 40 year olds are not seen as useful assets by many Fire/EMS/LE/SAR agencies) One thing again that CAP uniquely brings to the table (again) is aviation assets.  I think a more appropriate and/or useful resource for the ground side would be personnel that can manage that asset from the field side (similar to USAF combat control or TACP) they are good at comms, speack aircraft lingo, can navigate and can navigate aviation assets into target areas that ground units cant get to, yets also speak the lingo of the GSAR units and can move with them thru the terrain and conditions unique to that environment.

Cadet Programs.  Cadets join for the Air Force experience.   There isnt a whole lot that can be done from meeting night to meeting night, but I think more activities that expose cadets to USAF missions/jobs/military life.  Particularly summer activities (looking at some of the things that the Sea Cadets and ACA do.......)  Most wings seem to be limited to Encampment (barely 1 week) or encampment staff....  or a flight encampment (usually limited slots) NCSA's for the most part are very limited to the number of participants, and still barely 1 week, mayby 10 days at the most out of the entire summer. 
What about school programs?  Basically compete with JROTC...especially since there is a limit to the number of JROTC units out there; couldnt CAP (with maybe the USAF's help) push the CAP program to schools (especially if there are schools out there waiting for JROTC slots....sort of a "hey we dont have the funding to support your school request right now, but CAP can come in and provide all of the things you are looking for until the cash comes available, they are our official auxillary after all......"

Speaking of Auxillary status...... maybe I am just nostalgic here, but the whole AUX ON/AUX OFF is ridiculous...... 
VSAF-isnt that supposed to be the benefit of an auxillary; to support the parent organization.  CAP is an untapped resource of personnel that the USAF and I am really thinking USAF Reserve actually, could benefit from; and it would be free (or nearly free).  Reserve units are great, but other than presidental activation and the 2 week annual tour  status you cant really be "ordered" to come in and do work, and many units need help, sometimes just managing admin functions from UTA to UTA; suprisingly funding is limited as well as personnel availabilit (my unit for example has ove 125 personnel; 1 full time and 1 intern to mange things the rest of the time...help copying & filing would be welcome)  There are a number of areas that CAP personnel with their civilian proffesional qualificatons could be usefull to the USAF.....kind of like the CAP Chaplin program does....

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

FW

Great ideas guys however, it is not the job of the National Commander to directly change things.  It is their job to create the environment for creative and positive change over the three years they are in office.  And, with the ideas mentioned, those who will be tasked to deal with our intermediate and tactical objectives have good information to start with.  Then when the best decisions are made, the commander can insure we go in the proper direction.

RADIOMAN015

Here's what I would do:
1.  Pre membership aptitude testing for senior members.
2.  Develop a single utility type uniform that easily identifies personnel as being members of Civil Air Patrol.
3.  All regulations/policies should be reviewed to determine the total time requirements to comply with by the membership.  Time requirements should reduced IF possible.     
4.  Complete review of the Emergency Services Program, as to missions, training requirements, and use of emerging technology.
5.  Implementation of a "suggestion program"/feed back program, where every member can comment on pending policy decisions.
6.  Ensure a monthly formal financial report is given to the membership at each unit level that is self supported by the membership.
7.  Ensure that CAP develops a comprehensive long & short term plans and that these plans are effectively communicated to the membership and are continually reviewed/updated/reported to the membership.
8.  Reduction of corporate travel for strictly meeting purposes, with current technology available most meetings can be held electronically.
9.  Tighten requirements on membership self paying for proficiency flying.  IF a member doesn't participate in any flying activities that directly support either the cadet program or emergency services, they shouldn't be able to just fly around in a CAP aircraft.
10.  Ensure aerospace education activities are "more hands on" type activities versus just bookwork both for cadets and senir members.
11.  Reevaluate the cadet program time requirements in each program area.
12.  Remember that we are the Civil Air Patrol and stay within the charter bounds of federal law & AF regulations.
RM

a2capt

1.  Pre membership aptitude testing for senior members.

.... why am I not surprised?

Mark_Wheeler

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 31, 2011, 03:51:22 AM
9.  Tighten requirements on membership self paying for proficiency flying.  IF a member doesn't participate in any flying activities that directly support either the cadet program or emergency services, they shouldn't be able to just fly around in a CAP aircraft.

With all due respect, Why?

Mark

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Mark_Wheeler on May 31, 2011, 06:46:41 AM

With all due respect, Why?

Mark

Cuts down the flying clubs?

The CyBorg is destroyed

2.  Develop a single utility type uniform that easily identifies personnel as being members of Civil Air Patrol.

We already do.

Beyond that, if someone observing us cannot/chooses not to recognise who and what we are, who owns the problem?

5.  Implementation of a "suggestion program"/feed back program, where every member can comment on pending policy decisions.

Oh, to avoid things like having the rug pulled out from under us like on the CSU fiasco and when asking why being told "don't ask?"  All hail.   :clap:

6.  Ensure a monthly formal financial report is given to the membership at each unit level that is self supported by the membership.

As long as someone can interpret it for mathematical illiterates like me.

7.  Ensure that CAP develops a comprehensive long & short term plans and that these plans are effectively communicated to the membership and are continually reviewed/updated/reported to the membership.

With follow-up reports.

8.  Reduction of corporate travel for strictly meeting purposes, with current technology available most meetings can be held electronically.

Agreed.  I have taken part in some of these "cyberconferences."

If that would help put the kibosh on the "flying club" squadrons like the one I belonged to where the pilots signed up their significant others just to go joyriding in a CAP aircraft and didn't participate otherwise, I am all for it.

10.  Ensure aerospace education activities are "more hands on" type activities versus just bookwork both for cadets and senir members.

Noble intent, but as a former AEO I can tell you that is easier said than done.  I have done AE for both young cadets with short attention spans who get bored quickly and for a roomful of pilots in a senior squadron who could have cared less about anything that didn't directly impact them and the bird they flew.

12.  Remember that we are the Civil Air Patrol and stay within the charter bounds of federal law & AF regulations.
RM

Again, I think you're flogging a dead horse that never existed in the first place.  How are we not staying within these bounds?  By having BDU's, blue uniforms and shoulder marks that aren't scarlet red?

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on May 31, 2011, 12:48:31 PM
Cuts down the flying clubs?

That's how I interpreted it.  Having been "right seat excess baggage" (observer) in one of those flying clubs it's not a good position to be in.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Major Carrales

One year, as a student project in class while teaching the "foundations of government," I allowed the students to devise new class rules that would be adopted for one week pending my approval.  It was generally agreed that the existing rules were too "strict" or otherwise somehow "flawed."

They would take a week to design a new government for the class via a legislative process with a due executive and even judicial functions.

What resulted in each of the six class periods were 6 of the most draconian and plainly tyrannical classroom rules that far out-shadowed the simple "Be Prompt, Be Respectful and Be Prepared" ones that existed prior.

When given the power to create policy...it seemed that those in power overtook the necessary level for good governance.  Also, the idea that "something new is always good" obfuscated and subverted things that already worked.  I see a bit of that in this thread.

The fact is...in relation to this subject...that many of you seem to think that the position of National Commander is one where one can dictate these changes though some sort of mandates, dictates and indicts.   Am I crazy or are you of the same group that alleged that prior National Commanders were dictators?  The group that clings to the Constitution and Bi-laws of CAP? 

If so, how then can the very same propose all that I have read on this thread as if a National Commander could dictate CAP policy so?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

LATORRECA

i will like to:

- required more involvement of cadet on the emergency services
- promoted the CAP nation wide ( increase the recruiting effort)
- Avoid the double standard on how we keep the record (paper or electronic)
- get more funds for cadets encampments in order to put a cap on the summer encampments prices
- promoted our capabilities in order to help on the Border patrol effort, increase our drug enforcement and coastal surveillance.
- fix the uniform issues IOT simplify the whole issue with the Cooperate uniforms.
- create seminars with the wings, to provide better tools for the Squadron/Flight Commanders to have everything needed to succeed.
- work with the other services (USMC, Army, Navy, USCG) to promoted better relationship among us and not just the AF.
- recognized our great members publicly nationwide for those who goes above and beyond their responsibilities.
- request vanguard to drop their prices on some CAP articles and if not then we will avoid to do business with them.
- help subside some of the membership cost for those Wing witch members pay way to much on members fees.
- simplifies all the rules and regulation and clean all our manual by update them and trow away the ones have no purpose.
- feels every year we are so wrap up on the unnecessary more and more. I will get with as many members as possible to get their feedback on what work and what not.
- make emergency service qualification mandatory to all cadet after the age of 16. I hope this will promote th qualifications across the country. Also, on that line create a Ground Team competition nationwide. ( orienteering, search and rescue scenarios, PT, knowledge and testing)

MIKE

Quote from: LATORRECA on June 01, 2011, 02:53:06 AM
- make emergency service qualification mandatory to all cadet after the age of 16. I hope this will promote th qualifications across the country. Also, on that line create a Ground Team competition nationwide. ( orienteering, search and rescue scenarios, PT, knowledge and testing)

That's nice... what about the wings where the Emergency Services mission is non-existent or nearly so because it is handled by another state or county agency?
Mike Johnston

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MIKE on June 01, 2011, 03:01:50 AM
That's nice... what about the wings where the Emergency Services mission is non-existent or nearly so because it is handled by another state or county agency?

Like the State Police or County Sheriff, who usually don't like being interfered with?

Even the CGAUX defers on the water to sworn DNR/Conservation officers...at least we did...SOP for the Aux, Mike?

There is a lot of emphasis on ES, at least on CT,  kind of to the detriment of our other missions.  We are not only an ES agency.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Most states are controlled by a state agency, assuming the state agency is involved. 

We're federal and local, so when FEMA is involved, we should be as a matter of course, and for a lot of states, up to the point that the state agency is involved, we can be called direct.  That leaves a lot of room and a lot of missions for people prepared to respond and willing to commit. 

For the in-between, it is incumbent on local staff to foster the relationships with the legislature and local agencies to recognize our high-value and ROI.
Most states are broke or near to it and would jump at the chance for professionalized assistance at little to no cost.

The problem we have is that a lot of times CAP people come in with a head of steam and a set of requirements instead of sitting quietly at the table for a while and picking the entry point(s), and then being humble about the involvement until we prove ourselves.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Mike Johnston

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Eclipse on June 01, 2011, 09:05:00 PM

Most states are controlled by a state agency, assuming the state agency is involved. 

We're federal and local, so when FEMA is involved, we should be as a matter of course, and for a lot of states, up to the point that the state agency is involved, we can be called direct.  That leaves a lot of room and a lot of missions for people prepared to respond and willing to commit. 

For the in-between, it is incumbent on local staff to foster the relationships with the legislature and local agencies to recognize our high-value and ROI.
Most states are broke or near to it and would jump at the chance for professionalized assistance at little to no cost.

The problem we have is that a lot of times CAP people come in with a head of steam and a set of requirements instead of sitting quietly at the table for a while and picking the entry point(s), and then being humble about the involvement until we prove ourselves.

If anyone showed up at an emergency event occurring in my squadron area wearing a CAP uniform (or even a red cross polo) I would give 10-1 odds the Sheriff involved would have that person escorted out of the area immediately. The local Sheriffs Depts have such an iron fisted grip on SAR the local Fire Departments can't even play.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SAR-EMT1

As to the original thread question:

Permanent status as US Air Force Auxiliary. Change all patches, paperwork etc to reflect this.
Allow for most patches for the BDU to be offered in a more professional Subdued version.

Push USAF to provide detailed CAP briefings to all in BMT, OCS, ROTC... AND give the same info during separation. (They already get info on the reserves and ANG...why not us?

Push to adopt a SQTR for Ground DR Focusing on three area: Command-Control/Comm, Shelter Ops, Total Force Strike Team (CAP Teams prepped to enter area and work directly alongside ANG/Reserves as force multiplier for period of 72-hours to one week, possibly in support role such as comm, field base security/logistics etc...)

Adopt Streamlined benchmarks for Regions and Wings to implement regarding resource availability and recruiting.

Create national task force to revisit and if needed rewrite all publications manuals etc for spelling errors and other problems.

Push for integration of TEAM concept with USAF / 1st AF regarding use of CAP in daily ops tempo within ConUS.

Bring CAP training material up to a higher standard. Current online training is a joke at worst and barely adequate at best.
An organization such as ours does not need "kid glove" standards.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student