Congratulations, your're the new National Commander...now what.

Started by Nick Critelli, July 15, 2007, 02:42:34 PM

sandman

Quote from: Skyray on July 17, 2007, 02:17:15 PM
Further thought on the issue brings to the forefront that one of our major problems is rank.  If I were appointed supreme commander, I would try to induce the powers that be to eliminate all but duty performance promotions because it is my opinion that some of our most grievous problems are caused by "rank skipping."  I know one member who skipped from Second Lieutenant to Major to full Colonel without hitting any of the in-betweens, and he is a disaster!  Military equivalence and other promotions would get a short time to backfill themselves to the proper training level.  No one would be eligible to be wing commander until they had been promoted to Lieutenant Colonel by duty performace and finished Level Five.  That should cut down a little bit on the cronyism that we have been seeing in the past few years.

I agree Skyray! In my administration I would add that those members who have put in twenty years of service should be able to be promoted to full colonel. It doesn't matter to me that the colonel rank is supposed to be for "corporate" members, remember "rank" is a function of position, grade should be a function of recognized service. A "corporate" colonel will almost always "outrank" a colonel promoted through time in service (severly limited fitness reports from commanders could play a role in promotability too).

I would also allow direct appointments for honorably retired military officers to wear their same grade in CAP. That includes every general officer grade! So what if the national commander is only two stars, heck, give him (her) three to align with CG Aux! "Rank" is positional!

Hypothetical situation:
The national commander, two or three stars, "outranks" a retired real military four star general by position alone. Granted though, the retired four star may have greater "pull" in helping or hinder the advancement of CAP...depnds on who's in the driver's seat at NHQ...an idiot national commander could feasibly "piss off" a retired four star and cause some damage to the CAP program. On the other hand, the great contribution by these retired general officers is immense! Okay, so what if some local squadron has a four star general in CAP uniform (with four stars on a grey background, imagine that). That first lieutenant squadron commander in still in charge by position alone. The general officer may not want the position as a squadron commander, but imagine the mentorship opportunity that first lieutenant squadron commander, and the cadets, will have! Imagine the leadership training. I would like to be that squadron commander.

Let those who have earned it wear it. Also I would add a provision for members who have served CAP for thirty or fourty years have the opportunity for a promotion to O-7 or O-8. Why not?
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

ZigZag911

Colonel (O-6) for 20 or even 25 year members, with the provision that they have completed the senior professional development program (Level V....I'm only through IV myself) would indeed be a motivator for some to stay active and work on PD....also, since there is a badge for National Board members, the 'corporate colonels' would be easily identifiable.

50 year members should get O-6 regardless of prior grade or PD level, just for perseverance!

There are an awful lot of 30 year plus members, I'm not so sure about handing out general officer rank for longevity...though I am entirely in favor of retired military officers receiving the grade equivalent to their active duty rank, even if general officer.

sandman

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 24, 2007, 05:53:13 AM
Colonel (O-6) for 20 or even 25 year members, with the provision that they have completed the senior professional development program (Level V....I'm only through IV myself) would indeed be a motivator for some to stay active and work on PD....also, since there is a badge for National Board members, the 'corporate colonels' would be easily identifiable.

50 year members should get O-6 regardless of prior grade or PD level, just for perseverance!

There are an awful lot of 30 year plus members, I'm not so sure about handing out general officer rank for longevity...though I am entirely in favor of retired military officers receiving the grade equivalent to their active duty rank, even if general officer.

Sounds good. I understand what you mean with the 30+ year members. Maybe break out a percentage of them to receive the advanced grade based on history of assignments, education level, professional development, personal awards received, and a severly limited officer evaluation report (fitness report). There are several ways to recognize a small percentage...maybe thirty five or fourty years for colonel regardless and brig. general for 50 years regardless!
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

SARMedTech

Sandman-

Would you eliminate the "professional appointments" of MD, RNs, EMT/Medics, Lawyers, etc? Im still a SMWOG but the Squadron Commander has informed that we will put me in for 2d Lt sometime in the next month or so. Since basically all the professional appointment does is eliminate the 6 month "time in" period but not any other qualification for that first bump, would you eliminate it? Do you feel that its unfair, etc. When I was interested in joint the USCGR, the recruiter stated that, after finishing recruit training, I would be eligible for their direct Petty Officer appointment. I mean, great to be a PO, but I didnt know how I felt about not having military experience past boot when I "made the grade." I wondered if other folks who perhaps had been in longer would be offended, resent it or what their reaction would be. Ultimately, I didnt join because the billet I was interested in (Health Services) was not available (ie all HS billets filled) and what they kept pushing for was Port Security. When I indicated I was interested in the PS billet, the stopped returning calls. Id like to hear some thoughts on CAPs professional appointments.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

flyguy06

If I were made the Commander I would do the following:

get rid of all the uniforom combinations except the Air Force style uniforms and the blue shirt/grey pants combo and blazor for formal wear.

I would strengthen our relationship withthe AIr Froce and get away from our relationship with the DHS.

I would build the Cadet Program and encourage more young people to seek Air Force Officer careers especially in the area of aviation.

I would put more units in inner city and urban areas and promote CAP and aviation in these communities.

I would encourage a stronger command relationship with Group Commanders because at least in my Wing, i dont seee their purpose.

I would give Squadron Commanders more authority and decision making ability.

sandman

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 24, 2007, 07:09:29 AM
Would you eliminate the "professional appointments" of MD, RNs, EMT/Medics, Lawyers, etc?

Good question! My answer is no. I would follow the initial appointment system of the US Public Health Service: MD's / PHD's would come in with initial grade of O-3; RN's and other health care members with BS degrees in their specialties and masters prepared educators and social workers start as O-2. RN's with ADN or diploma and health care technicians with AS degree or less start as O-1. Otherwise everyone else starts as SMWOG.

Im still a SMWOG but the Squadron Commander has informed that we will put me in for 2d Lt sometime in the next month or so. Since basically all the professional appointment does is eliminate the 6 month "time in" period but not any other qualification for that first bump, would you eliminate it?

No...but allow time for individuals to backfill certain requirements before advancing grade.
An example:

A medical doctor has an advanced grade to O-3 initially and with only time in service may advance to O-4, this is standard practice within the uniformed services....why should we make it any harder for this professional to advance? Advancement to O-5 would require time in service and a few CAP professional development courses.

At the same time a BSN prepared nurse starts as O-2 but may take four years to advance to O-3. Again this parallels the USPHS.

An EMT with national certification and only an AS degree should be advanced to O-1 but may have to wait two years to continue advancing.

A masters prepared educator should advance to O-2 but will have to wait the standard two years to advance to O-3.

Do you feel that its unfair, etc.

In all sincerity, no.

It fairly parallels the uniformed services and allows the rank to have "gravitas" within CAP. Such a structure could potentially build actual respect for the rank within CAP. Requiring a professional degree for an advanced appointment is appropriate. A person without a degree, such as an EMT basic, etc. should have to matriculate through the normal promotion process.

When I was interested in joint the USCGR, the recruiter stated that, after finishing recruit training, I would be eligible for their direct Petty Officer appointment. I mean, great to be a PO, but I didnt know how I felt about not having military experience past boot when I "made the grade." I wondered if other folks who perhaps had been in longer would be offended, resent it or what their reaction would be.

Sorry you missed the boat on that one (pardon the pun). You would have been wise to take the advanced grade! Never mind how others felt...your fellow PO's and chief's would have taught you what was needed...that's their job. When I went to Officer Indoctrination School one of my classmates was a radiologist with several years of civilian practice. She was directly appointed to commander (O-5) and she had no prior service. Those of us who had prior service but were lowly O-1's took the time to help her out!  Advanced appointments are common practice.

Ultimately, I didnt join because the billet I was interested in (Health Services) was not available (ie all HS billets filled) and what they kept pushing for was Port Security. When I indicated I was interested in the PS billet, the stopped returning calls.

I don't know what happened there, maybe the window of opportunity closed for you as you hesitated too long. On the other hand, you could have waited them out for a HS billet but you might not have been offered the advanced grade. Is this recent? Are you still eligible to apply?

Id like to hear some thoughts on CAPs professional appointments.

Just my musings...anybody else?

/r
LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

flyguy06

Do you feel that its unfair, etc.

In all sincerity, no.

It fairly parallels the uniformed services and allows the rank to have "gravitas" within CAP. Such a structure could potentially build actual respect for the rank within CAP. Requiring a professional degree for an advanced appointment is appropriate. A person without a degree, such as an EMT basic, etc. should have to matriculate through the normal promotion process.

Just because the military and Public Health organizations do it that way doesnt make it fair. People IN the military already dont think its fair thata person gets more rank just because they have a degree. To do it in a volunteer organization you would loose a lot of people. I believe.

Quote spacing - MIKE

sandman

Quote from: flyguy06 on July 24, 2007, 07:37:22 PM
Just because the military and Public Health organizations do it that way doesnt make it fair. People IN the military already dont think its fair thata person gets more rank just because they have a degree. To do it in a volunteer organization you would loose a lot of people. I believe.

I am addressing only a specific population; professionals in healthcare, law, and education.

I don't advocate "fairness". I suppose we could use the U.S. Naval Sea Cadet model where anyone applying to be an officer, irregardles of prior service, flight qualifications, or professional training starts as an "instructor" then advances to O-1 through whatever terminal rank is determined with time in service and professional development as the only means to advance.

Can you cite a specific example where
Quote from: flyguy06 on July 24, 2007, 07:37:22 PMPeople IN the military already dont think its fair thata person gets more rank just because they have a degree.
?
I doubt that is true to the extent that you're alluding to, but I'm willing to hear the arguement.

/r
LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

flyguy06

Talk to an Infantry soldier and ask him what he thinks about the young 22 year old West Point LT leading him?

sandman

Quote from: flyguy06 on July 25, 2007, 01:43:21 AM
Talk to an Infantry soldier and ask him what he thinks about the young 22 year old West Point LT leading him?

I have. I was the 17 year old soldier. I would counsel your infantry soldier to to what he does best and counsel his young lieutenant to learn how to be a leader. Secondly I would counsel the infantry soldier to apply to West Point he he's so disgrunteled.

/r
LT
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol

Sgt. Savage

I was that soldier as well. I took solice in the fact that, though the 2Lt was the "Platoon Leader", the Platoon Sergeant ran the show. The CO supported it and any LT that went toe to toe with the "Platoon Daddy" would find himself in the front leaning rest, feet on the CO's desk, learning a lesson in leadership and title (with the door closed, of course).

We accept rank as it is presented to us. We salute it, we show it honor. We respect the man that wears it if he has earned it.

The same question could be asked of me.... Why do I, a veteran, NCO, and proven leader, render salute to some guy off the street with a brand new set of "Butter Bars", that couldn't find his ass with both hands, and not a clue about leadership? Because that is what I do. I'll follow his instructions to the limit of safety and good judgement. When he crosses the line, the CC finds out. If the CC is worth more than a bag of manure, he'll teach his junior officers to listen to their NCO's, as they own the t-shirt.

If it all fails, I take my ball and go play elsewhere.

flyguy06

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on July 25, 2007, 01:42:08 PM
I was that soldier as well. I took solice in the fact that, though the 2Lt was the "Platoon Leader", the Platoon Sergeant ran the show. The CO supported it and any LT that went toe to toe with the "Platoon Daddy" would find himself in the front leaning rest, feet on the CO's desk, learning a lesson in leadership and title (with the door closed, of course).

We accept rank as it is presented to us. We salute it, we show it honor. We respect the man that wears it if he has earned it.

The same question could be asked of me.... Why do I, a veteran, NCO, and proven leader, render salute to some guy off the street with a brand new set of "Butter Bars", that couldn't find his ass with both hands, and not a clue about leadership? Because that is what I do. I'll follow his instructions to the limit of safety and good judgement. When he crosses the line, the CC finds out. If the CC is worth more than a bag of manure, he'll teach his junior officers to listen to their NCO's, as they own the t-shirt.

If it all fails, I take my ball and go play elsewhere.

My point exactly.

WoodlandSARman

SM Chamberlin
Former C/CMSGT. "lifer"
IN Wing Central Group ES Officer GLR-IN-224
Former GLR-IN-123
Former SWR-OK-002 - Black Knight Command Staff.
Former GLR-IN-069
NGSAR Basic 2000 - Honor Team
NESA GSAR Advanced/Team Leader - 2001 NESA GSAR Basic -  2007

jimmydeanno

Well I guess you should retire now, the smurf suits have been ditched... :-\
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

IceNine

First off, I want to make it clear that in the first year or more I would take the time to absorb the blinding amount of information thrust upon me.  And just attempt to keep my head above water as I learn to swim in the "big boy pool" that is working with the AF, DHS, and 60,000 screaming members that are all worried about what at the time will seem like minor complaints.

Then after I figured out the secret handshakes, and found out who REALLY runs the show, I would attempt to affect change.  Again, the MG wears the grade and has a lot of weight but at the end of the day he like the president doesn't amount to a hill of beans if not for the support of the NB, NEC, and BOG.

I would want to re-design e-services to make it more user friendly and eliminate the need for links to other pages.  In my mind you should be able to long onto e-services, see the personnel files (at the appropriate level), do ES, Take tests, process paperwork (all of it), access your personal CAP Email, and the list goes on.

I would request that any time a uniform change is requested that there be a wear test,  Polling of the membership, and other such activities.

I would end the elite status that vanguard currently holds on CAP uniform items and make it a free market, the only stipulation being that manufacturers but comply with the specifications set forth for each individual item.

The main focus of my term of office would be to decrease the hardships on the members and build partnerships with organizations that could benefit from our abilities, and that we could benefit from as well.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Nick Critelli

Just when I thought you guys couldn't keep focused,  mfd1506 brings us back to topic. 

Anyone else have any comments on what you would do if you were suddenly appointed National Commander?

NC

Major Carrales

National Commander...

1) Commission a complete rewrite, consolidate and/or reorganize the CAP Regulations.  From CAPM 39-1 to CAPR 60-1.  It will occur in one year, six months to idenfity problems and six months to deliver a REG book that is clear and addresses all the problems we have with current regulations.

This would not be a "policy" reboot, but one that consolidates all that is good, elimates all that is bad and clears up all that is unclear.

This would occur during my last year...and would be something the next few leaders will run with because they will have had a say in it.

2) Uniforms would be consolidated to 1 USAF style and 1 CAP Distinctive style.  They would parallel each other.  Cadets would be bound to USAF Style and Seniors could choose...

USAF STYLE                            CAP DISTINCTIVE
MESS DRESS                                   Standard Clack TUX w/ CAP Regalia and Minimedals
FORMAL SERVICE DRESS                 CAP SERVICE DRESS (USAF Style grey epaulets)
SEMI-FORMAL SERVICE DRESS        While Shirt, CAP Should Marks, blue pants, Blue Tie
Minimum Basic SERVICE DRESS        Short Sleeve White Shirt, blue pants
Field Dress (BDU, ACU)                     Blue BDUs
USAF Flight SUIT                              CAP Flight Suit

What's more, there would be defined times to wear.  Meetings would be in Minimum Basic Service Dress (temperature and weather specific) or Semi- Formal (tie version).  SARex would be Fligth suit and/or BDUs for operational people and missions base staff in  Minimum Basic Service Dress.

No golf shirts...if you can put on a pair of pants and a pull over shirt you can put on a pair of pants and a shirt that buttons in the front. 

3) USAF Relationship- Strong.  Work with USAF and gear the Cadet Program to a closer relationship.  The foucs will still be building strong citizens, but it will be through USAF methods.  Corportate CAP will still exist, taking missions from other agencies, but it would be under USAF guidance.

CAP will serve to augment the USAF to a great degree than today.  Helping recruiting stations and at militayr installations.

4) Professional Development will be strict and likely redesigned.  A CAP Major will be trained to the level that such an officer could handle the responsibilities of a USAF Staff Officer.  The idea is, not to have CAP Officers replace or fill in for acice USAF, but rather to develop those skills to benefit CAP.

This will require reexamining how promotions work in CAP.  Several models exist presented by Kach and others.  Current officers will be grandfathered into their rank and continue up to their next level once they have met the criteria.

Rank should exist as followed:

1) Professional Development promotions up through Captain.
2) Squadron Commanders (and former) appointed to Major
3) Group Commanders (and former) appointed to Lt Col.
4) Wing Commanders (and former) Colonels
5) Region Commanders (and former) Brig General
6) Vice Commander (and former) Brig General
7) National Commander (and former) Major Generals

Persons cannot be appointed the rank of command who have not met the requirements for Captain.  They can serve as the commander for a full year without said criteria (with permission and supervision) until they will warrant the rank of that office.

This limits the number of "high ranking officers" to commanders and former commander and allows Captains in CAP who wish to focus on their local unit the option to do so.

5) Consolidation of CAP operations at the unit level-  Wings with Groups will use the Group Structure to insure that squadrons do not exist in isolation.  Group Level SARexs under the Direction of WING.  Units will be made to work with other units.  Sister and Satelitte Squadrons where the training can continue despite unit limitiation drawing on the strengths of neighboring units and the GROUP/WING.

6) CAP National Standards for encampments.  Each encampment in every Wing should be some similar style and quality.  Thus, the various elements that cause unusual issues to arise in one encampment can be mitigated.

7) CAP Officer Advisory Councils, the CAC for CAP Officers that serve as advisory bodies to Groups, Wing and Region.  The place to lobby through democratic practice.  The place to gauge reactions on wear tests, policy flag balloons and to better address suggestions. 

While not part of the Chain of Command, it allows the voice to the people in the trenches to have a say...a meaningful say.  Current Commanders are forbidden membership, encourage "Joe Everyday CAP OFFICER" to join.

The National Version of this Body has a place to make suggestions at the National Board and can issue a "report card."  While it has no force of law, it demonstrates the importance of MEMBER VOICE.

I've got lots more and should have chosen words more carefully, but this is a pipe dream and for disussion.  Every one of these suggestions needs work and is both workable and un workable in this state.

I'm hoping some of you can take some of this and refine it.  I'm tempted to start some threads on some of these.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

ZigZag911

A lot of great ideas, Sparky, you've got my vote!

The only thing I'd question is limiting field grade to commanders....I agree that it should be a bit more demanding to earn than now....but I do see a need for staff officers at wings, regions, even groups that have a senior rank -- and former commanders just aren't enough of a pool to fill all those slots.

I'm talking at group level about deputies, IG, ops officer in particular.

James

:o whats a  e BoG, NB, NEC   ???
Next I will be elected president ;)
2Lt J. Weber
Callsign: MOwCAP554
Communications Officer Emergency Services Officer
Ft Leonard Wood
Squadron 153

Pylon

Quote from: James on September 04, 2007, 08:08:20 PM
:o whats a  e BoG, NB, NEC   ???
Next I will be elected president ;)