CAP Chaplains: Most Successful

Started by zippy, September 02, 2017, 11:40:36 PM

zippy

In my opinion the Champlain Corps is the most successful part of CAP. This is the reason they can directly serve the Air Force. They have high standards. In my opinion, since the Chaplain Corps is so successful this is the direction the CAP should go. The Air Force said that they offer valuable support to the Air Force mission. The relationship of the CAP chaplains is similar to the CG Auxiliary to the CG.

Since they were so successful in the eyes of the Air Force, what about a CAP Medical Corp for medical professionals? 

What are your opinions?

QuoteCAP chaplains are the only members of CAP who can directly serve Air Force active, Reserve, and Guard units

SarDragon

Nope, not happening, and don't hold your breath.

CAP is not structured for a medical corps, and there is no need for one. You are proposing a solution for a non-existent problem.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fubar

I suspect the liability insurance for faith malpractice is significantly less than medical malpractice.

Could be wrong.

zippy

Quote from: SarDragon on September 03, 2017, 02:11:26 AM
Nope, not happening, and don't hold your breath.

CAP is not structured for a medical corps, and there is no need for one. You are proposing a solution for a non-existent problem.
That is not what the Air Force Surgeon General says. The Air Force Surgeon General says there is a problem.

Please give a citation supporting your position that the Air Force does not have a problem getting medical staff. Below are citations saying it is a problem.

Also, the CG uses auxiliary medical professionals as I am suggesting. It can be done.

QuoteThe Air Force surgeon general on Thursday toured Good Samaritan Hospital, a medical center training family practice physicians to help fill a shortage of doctors in the Air Force[/b], officials say.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-hospital-helps-fill-physician-shortage-air-force/RChUt5YA73drvBFbtodOpO/

Quotethe Air Force has problems recruiting and keeping nurses
https://www.thebalance.com/flight-nurses-3344059

SarDragon

My view of your initial post was that CAP has a problem. And it doesn't.

The Air Force medical staff problem will not be solved by CAP in a manner similar to the Chaplain solution. To repeat - CAP is not structured for a medical corps, and there is no need for one. The CAP Chaplain Corps fits right in to the CAP structure, and has been an integral part since almost the beginning. (Chappie would better know the exact date.)

CAP is not, and never has been, in the health care business.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

Zippy, The DoD as a whole has a hard time recruiting and retaining Drs and nurses because quit frankly they can't compete with the outside market.  This is the same for a lot of pilots as well,  why make 5k a month when they can fly for the airlines and make more.  This is the same for quit a few fields, nothing new and we have been trucking along just fine. 

Eclipse

Augmentation for the military is not the primary role of a Chaplain, and certainly not anything but an
anecdotal and very minimal part of any definition of "success" for that directorate.

If true that an ancillary directorate is the "most successful" part of the organization,
what does that say for the rest of the organization, or for that matter the (likely) majority of otherwise
competent Chaplains with no augmentation opportunities due to either proximity, appearance & grooming, or
simple lack of need in their AOR?

"That Others May Zoom"

Mustang

Quote from: zippy on September 02, 2017, 11:40:36 PMWhat are your opinions?
Since you asked....mine is that the chaplain corps should be eliminated completely.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

zippy

Quote from: Mustang on September 04, 2017, 04:00:42 AM
Since you asked....mine is that the chaplain corps should be eliminated completely.

No way, I disagree.  So does the Air Force, that is the reason they are even used to help prepare units for deployment. If there is a reason for your opinion, I would like to hear it.

Jester

I've never once had a chaplain help me with anything in the military. I remember one deployment they were in the outprocessing line, but that's it.

I would be perfectly ok with the CAP chaplain corps going away tomorrow, but the fact that I rarely see one now means it doesn't bother me for them to go on existing.

CDI needs to be brought under cadet programs as a qualification like GTM is a qual under the ES mission. The idea that only the chaplain corps can be responsible for building character is silly.  It certainly doesn't require its own specialty track.

SarDragon

Quote from: zippy on September 05, 2017, 12:20:13 AM
Quote from: Mustang on September 04, 2017, 04:00:42 AM

No way, I disagree.  So does the Air Force, that is the reason they are even used to help prepare units for deployment. If there is a reason for your opinion, I would like to hear it.

OK, let's throttle it back. You presented an opinion, with no hard data behind it, but expect someone else to do so? If you are expecting to change someone's mind, you are in for a long struggle.

BTW, zippy, check your messages. You owe me a reply.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: zippy on September 02, 2017, 11:40:36 PM

In my opinion the Champlain Corps is the most successful part of CAP. This is the reason they can directly serve the Air Force. They have high standards. In my opinion, since the Chaplain Corps is so successful this is the direction the CAP should go. The Air Force said that they offer valuable support to the Air Force mission. The relationship of the CAP chaplains is similar to the CG Auxiliary to the CG.

Since they were so successful in the eyes of the Air Force, what about a CAP Medical Corp for medical professionals? 

What are your opinions?

QuoteCAP chaplains are the only members of CAP who can directly serve Air Force active, Reserve, and Guard units
I would ask you to define "Successful".

If "Directly Supporting USAF Personnel" is your definition of successful, I would not think the Chaplain Corps is it.
Yes the Chaplain Corps is the only CAP personnel who can Directly Augment the USAF Chaplain Corps....and when the do that they do a great job.   But how often does that happen?
I would suggest that the Green Flag Program is much more "successful" then the Chaplain Corps, by your definition, because they Directly Support USAF operations 15-20 weeks a year.  Flying 10-15 sorties per week.  Providing direct force multiplier support to all the military services.   Following that I would say the DHS aggressor missions ( Aerospace Control Alert CrossTell Exercise) comes in a close second.

The medical thing won't happen, as it has been pointed out, CAP's medical corps has an issue with insurance.   

Sure maybe one day it may get fixed.   Maybe that's a project you can get with NHQ and start working out the details.
But as SarDragon has said.

I would not hold my breath.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

And on that note (a B flat?), I think we're done.

Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret