Looking for ideas/samples for a squadron car decal...recruiting material

Started by xray328, September 10, 2015, 10:50:06 PM

xray328

Does anyone have a squadron decal or window sticker advertising their squadron? I was thinking of something like "Proud member of xyz squadron...Civil Air Patrol" with the squadron patch or cap emblem.  I'm trying to use it as an advertising tool for recruitment purposes.

Vanguard has a generic "Proud of my CAP cadet" bumper sticker but I'd like something that advertises the squadron.

I'm also trying to be careful in regards to the 900-2 regarding usage of the seal/emblem/logo.

Thanks!

Eaker Guy

PHall

AdAstra

Quote from: PHall on September 11, 2015, 03:28:33 AM
Don't put the CAP Seal on it. Use your squadron patch instead.

And at a group or wing activity, we end up with a parking lot full of cars with CAP bumper stickers with a dozen different logos. Ahh, which one of you are the real CAP??

CAPR 900-2, para 3f is quite clear: use the CAP logo (triangle with Civil Air Patrol) for recruiting items like this. Branding should be the same across the CAP.
Charles Wiest

Holding Pattern

Quote from: AdAstra on September 11, 2015, 03:39:37 AM
Quote from: PHall on September 11, 2015, 03:28:33 AM
Don't put the CAP Seal on it. Use your squadron patch instead.

And at a group or wing activity, we end up with a parking lot full of cars with CAP bumper stickers with a dozen different logos. Ahh, which one of you are the real CAP??

CAPR 900-2, para 3f is quite clear: use the CAP logo (triangle with Civil Air Patrol) for recruiting items like this. Branding should be the same across the CAP.

Indeed. Someone local to me suggested putting a wrap on our CAP van with art evocative of our heritage like this classic CAP poster, but that wasn't approved.

Sometimes I feel like CAP needs an outside marketing arm.

xray328

That'd be awesome. I'm surprised something couldn't be done there, doesn't every branch of service do something similar? The Army has a top fuel dragster for pete's sake. I know I've seen a few Hummers wrapped in a military advertisement.

Obviously Wing and maybe NHQ would need to sign off on it but it seems like something that would of been doable.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: xray328 on September 11, 2015, 04:30:54 PM
That'd be awesome. I'm surprised something couldn't be done there, doesn't every branch of service do something similar? The Army has a top fuel dragster for pete's sake. I know I've seen a few Hummers wrapped in a military advertisement.

Obviously Wing and maybe NHQ would need to sign off on it but it seems like something that would of been doable.

I used a similar argument, but what it came down to IIRC was:

Those advertisement vehicles are literally used for advertisement. The corporate vehicle is used on missions, and adverts on a mission vehicle don't fly.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on September 11, 2015, 05:13:13 PM

Those advertisement vehicles are literally used for advertisement. The corporate vehicle is used on missions, and adverts on a mission vehicle don't fly.

In addition to this...

Is this the corporate vehicle or a personal vehicle regularly used for CAP? Like did you want a decal sticker or a big magnet that's easily removable?

Holding Pattern

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 11, 2015, 05:21:23 PM

In addition to this...

Is this the corporate vehicle or a personal vehicle regularly used for CAP? Like did you want a decal sticker or a big magnet that's easily removable?

The discussion was a vehicle wrap on the corporate van.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on September 11, 2015, 05:23:27 PM

In addition to this...

Ah, well, in that case, no-go with 900-2. It's always worth trying to get approval. Can't hurt to ask. But very unlikely.
Although, that would be a great recruiting tool at events; probably not worth the money for the return investment though.

Definitely not going to happen as a squadron-specific advert.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 11, 2015, 05:34:43 PM

In addition to this...

Ah, well, in that case, no-go with 900-2. It's always worth trying to get approval. Can't hurt to ask. But very unlikely.
Although, that would be a great recruiting tool at events; probably not worth the money for the return investment though.

Indeed. But I can't help but think it would have looked REALLY COOL! :D

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on September 11, 2015, 05:37:31 PM

In addition to this...

Probably would, but I understand why CAP has rules on this: to protect the integrity of the organization when it comes to branding so that people don't misrepresent CAP.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 11, 2015, 05:50:22 PM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on September 11, 2015, 05:37:31 PM

In addition to this...

Probably would, but I understand why CAP has rules on this: to protect the integrity of the organization when it comes to branding so that people don't misrepresent CAP.

But people do it anyway. Misrepresent CAP, that is. Why do we punish those that have honest motives when it solves nothing????? Society's eternal question.......

Гугл переводчик

Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on September 14, 2015, 02:53:08 PM

This.

Can't see the picture.

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on September 11, 2015, 11:10:40 PM
But people do it anyway. Misrepresent CAP, that is. Why do we punish those that have honest motives when it solves nothing????? Society's eternal question.......

Because a few people, even with the best intentions, can screw it up for everyone.

CAP's Board of Governors has a vision and mission statement that they are trying to uphold. They have certain expectations and policies to help support the CAP mission, and that includes recruiting in a manner that protects CAP's image. They may not always, in our opinion, provide the best means of protecting that image, such as with some of those outdated videos they put out, but that doesn't mean you make your own video and release it without CAP's approval just because you can do it better and know it will work. The same goes with posters and vehicle decals.

Unfortunately, this can cause delays in getting things approved sometimes, and maybe our ideas don't always get the recognition by Top that we would like, but in the end, we don't have the authority on it and the guys up there do.

Discipline: The instant willing obedience to orders, respect for authority, and self-reliance.

Гугл переводчик

Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Гугл переводчик

Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eaker Guy

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 14, 2015, 03:16:16 PM

This.

Can't see the picture.

Because a few people, even with the best intentions, can screw it up for everyone.

CAP's Board of Governors has a vision and mission statement that they are trying to uphold. They have certain expectations and policies to help support the CAP mission, and that includes recruiting in a manner that protects CAP's image. They may not always, in our opinion, provide the best means of protecting that image, such as with some of those outdated videos they put out, but that doesn't mean you make your own video and release it without CAP's approval just because you can do it better and know it will work. The same goes with posters and vehicle decals.

Unfortunately, this can cause delays in getting things approved sometimes, and maybe our ideas don't always get the recognition by Top that we would like, but in the end, we don't have the authority on it and the guys up there do.

Discipline: The instant willing obedience to orders, respect for authority, and self-reliance.

Oh no, I'm not saying we should do stuff outside the regs because we feel we deserve to. I'm just saying that it is disappointing that such stringent regulations have to be in effect in the first place.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on September 15, 2015, 01:35:20 AM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 14, 2015, 03:16:16 PM

This.

Can't see the picture.

Oh no, I'm not saying we should do stuff outside the regs because we feel we deserve to. I'm just saying that it is disappointing that such stringent regulations have to be in effect in the first place.

I agree. It sucks that we sometimes have these awesome ideas that actually work out for the better, but it's the times when people have screwed things up in the past that have led to this.

Think of all of the stupid, common-sense safety briefs that have been done over the years because someone screwed up once. Think of all of the regs that have come out of a single stupid occurrence that could have been easily avoided.