Main Menu

SER Staff College Logo

Started by winterg, April 02, 2015, 11:14:10 AM

winterg

Did anyone else notice that the Southeast Region Staff College logo uses a Star Trek font?

Tim Medeiros

I have it on good authority that the designer is a fan.  He also designed http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/SER/FL/fl153.jpg when he was its CC, notice the same font.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Luis R. Ramos

It was nice of you to notice. Your post made me wonder. Was this the classic Chicken and Egg question? In other words, did the Star Trek font exist before Star Trek and was coopted by the company? Or was it created by the company as The Star Trek Font???

I found there is not a Star Trek font. There are Star Trek Fonts!

See Memory-Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki. On http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek_fonts
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

winterg

I got a chuckle when I saw it. I have seen fellow Sci fi nerds sneak other references into CAP and military emblems.  If memory serves, there is a CAP unit patch that is a complete ripoff of a Babylon 5 logo.

Luis R. Ramos

What made you think it was a ripoff of a Babylon 5 logo?

Can it be that Babylon 5 made a ripoff of a CAP logo?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

winterg

If you show me some evidence that Mr. Strazynski (sp) was trolling obscure CAP emblems for inspiration when creating his hit TV series I will concede the argument. But I am pretty sure without doing any research that it went the other way round.  :)

TexasBEAST

Come to think of it, didn't B5 rip off the Rangers from CAP, too?  ;)
--TB

winterg

We should model our CAP uniforms from the Centauri.

TexasBEAST

You could definitely do some airfoil and drag demonstrations for AE with that hairstyle.
--TB

SouthernCross

What do the words in Latin mean? I don't trust the "Google Translate" feature.

Garibaldi

Ok. Ok. Ok. I get it. Not doing my job as chief of security. Give me the names of the jokers ripping off B5 logos and I'll space 'em. Or maybe I'll let Ivanova talk at them for an hour or three. She has this great speech about boots and the right hand of vengeance...it's pretty sweet.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Spam

"Through difficulty in honors", is how I'd translate it. I hated the years of Latin I took so I've been trying to forget it since 8th grade...

Of course, if SER moved the event from McGhee Tyson ANGB up by Knoxville over to Augusta Georgia, then it would mean "through difficulty in Augusta" (slightly different, probably more accurate)!

That looks like the font they came up with for ST:TMP.

V/R,
Spam

winterg

Ivanova could talk at me all day long.  :)

Alaric

per ardua in augusta - through adversity to greatness

aude sapare - Dare to know (though usually written sapare aude)