Main Menu

You're Not Special

Started by LSThiker, April 02, 2014, 01:34:33 PM

LSThiker

With discussion about awards, uniforms, specialty tracks, promotions, etc, etc, etc, I am reminded of a great commencement speech.  I apologize if this was already posted, but I could not find it in the search. 

You Are Not Special Commencement Speech from Wellesley High School

ColonelJack

Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Archer

But I earned it so legally I am entitled to wear my EGA above my CAP cap device.

Pulsar

...like  :clap:

As soon as a cadet receives their Mitchell Award, they scamper right out and buy a service cap.  :)

C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Pulsar on April 02, 2014, 06:18:51 PM

As soon as a cadet receives their Mitchell Award, they scamper right out and buy a service cap.  :)

And if the wing CC has said no to the service cap for cadets they are out a few dollars.

Lawyered.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

LSThiker

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 02, 2014, 04:01:58 PM
Classic!!

Jack

It is, is not it?  He poetically brings a person back to reality.  Not knowing him, nor the school, you can definitely tell he believes everything he said and that probably makes him a great teacher and mentor to the students. 

I liked his message about not climbing the mountain just to plant a flag, but to climb a mountain because of the challenge.  My co-workers are terrible about this.  They could not understand why I want to complete Appalachian Trail and Pacific Crest Trail.  In fact, their response back was "how is that going to help your career?"  They honestly believe that if it does help advance your career, then it is not worth pursuing. 

pierson777

I don't understand your meaning.  Are you slighting them for doing this?  I assume you're just joking.

If it's approved by National HQ publications and approved by their wing commander, then what's the issue?  Earning the Mitchell award isn't exactly easy peezy.  Wearing the uniform proudly is part of the cadet program.  Acheiveing the Mitchell award earns the cadet the right to wear the service cap (when also approved by Wing Commander).  I fully support and encourage it, as I think in some ways it serves to motivate progression in the cadet program.  The further a cadet progresses, the more knowledge and experience they gain along the way, making them a more valuable asset to CAP and to their community, state, and nation.

Pulsar

Quote from: pierson777 on April 02, 2014, 06:58:10 PM

I don't understand your meaning.  Are you slighting them for doing this?  I assume you're just joking.

If it's approved by National HQ publications and approved by their wing commander, then what's the issue?  Earning the Mitchell award isn't exactly easy peezy.  Wearing the uniform proudly is part of the cadet program.  Acheiveing the Mitchell award earns the cadet the right to wear the service cap (when also approved by Wing Commander).  I fully support and encourage it, as I think in some ways it serves to motivate progression in the cadet program.  The further a cadet progresses, the more knowledge and experience they gain along the way, making them a more valuable asset to CAP and to their community, state, and nation.
Yup --just joking.  I, a Mitchell Award recipient, have noticed that it's almost like a rite of passage for some cadets -which it is- and if I liked the way the female service cap looked, I would indeed try to buy one.   :D
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

LSThiker

Quote from: pierson777 on April 02, 2014, 06:58:10 PM

First, the wear of a service cap is a privilege and not a right. 

Second, if they are motivated to earn their Mitchell because of a hat, then I think they need to adjust their motivation.  A cadet should be motivated to earn the Mitchell because they aspire to be a leader and a cadet officer.  They should want to possess that knowledge and experience.  This is exactly what he was talking about in the video.  Go to Paris, not so you can cross it off your list, but so you can experience it.  Climb a mountain for the challenge and not to simply plant the flag. 

Did I wear a service cap as a cadet officer?  Yup.  I wore it to the meetings as that was the "tradition" of cadet officers.  Then it slowly dawned on me why we were doing it--to stand out.

Storm Chaser

PA Guy

I also got one and wore it for about 6mos before going back to a flight cap. Too hard to maintain and I could never find a clean place to hang it. It was just a pain. Plus it didn't turn into a hotties magnet like I thought it would.

LSThiker

Quote from: PA Guy on April 03, 2014, 01:53:06 PM
I also got one and wore it for about 6mos before going back to a flight cap. Too hard to maintain and I could never find a clean place to hang it. It was just a pain. Plus it didn't turn into a hotties magnet like I thought it would.

Exactly.  I stopped wearing it when I left the squadron.  I sold it shortly after and have not worn one since.

Pulsar

C/LtCol Neutron Star

Private Investigator

Quote from: Archer on April 02, 2014, 04:29:24 PM
But I earned it so legally I am entitled to wear my EGA above my CAP cap device.

That is way out from left field.

Look how special high school kids are today. My yougest daughter is graduating and 33% have a 4.0 or higher GPA. When I graduated 40 years ago we had ONE student that had a legit 4.0 GPA and yes we had more than three students in our class.   ::)

HGjunkie

To become Valedictorian at my school, you not only have to maintain the 4.0 but you also have to have the highest number of "quality points," which are given per course completed. Basically, this year's Valedictorian took an additional 16 or so online classes (Honors/AP level) to guarantee the spot. It's quite ridiculous.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Flying Pig

Quote from: Archer on April 02, 2014, 04:29:24 PM

When I left active duty USMC for the Army Reserves.... I had my EGA stamped on my left great pocket of my cammies :)  Nobody ever said a word about it.  Right smack in the middle of a tan spot!  I also wore my USMC Sgt rank under my pocket flap. 

The Army Reserves wasn't bad... I joined for the chance to go to airborne and ranger school.... that never happened.  This was back with the Army Res still had infantry.