Non locking thread- hopefully.

Started by RogueLeader, April 02, 2007, 08:22:30 PM

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Major_Chuck on April 03, 2007, 01:26:51 AM
Oh no.  Star Trek is hands down better than Star Wars.  When the Ewoks appeared in the Star Wars Universe that was the nail in the coffin.

... and Jar Jar Binks certainly didn't improve things any.

It has, however, been theorized that the destruction of Death Star II would have killed off the Ewoks - more here:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Major_Chuck

Jar Jar....oh how I tried to forget that one too...
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Monty

Quote from: LtCol White on April 03, 2007, 01:27:17 AM
Quote from: msmjr2003 on April 02, 2007, 09:54:28 PM
My wife and I hate Star Wars.

But you're from Alabama.... ;D Luke did kiss his sister though.... ::)

Well there's no accounting for taste.....Leid DID say that she'd just as soon kiss a Wookie.....

;)

CLB

Mmmmmmmm  beee deee beee deee beee deee.......Need I say more? ;D
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

Major Carrales

Curious...how did that get there from the BSG still?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SAR-EMT1

Ive always like Star Wars better then Star Trek..but hey.. What about the BBC's RED DWARF?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DogCollar

George Lucas is a fine film maker...however, the part about Star Wars that sends me over the edge is the gosh awful writing of the dialog!  Strictly amateur, and consistently bad through each movie.

Star Trek, on the other hand, in all it's television multiple-personalities has always been character driven.  Yes the special effects come across as second rate compared to Star Wars, yet the complexity of the characters, their dialog, and the story plots are FAR superior!  I'll take character driven stories over state of the art special effects every time.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

TDHenderson

Hey, what about Space 1999?  Anyone remember that gem? 

Seriously (if one can be so on this thread), if I had to pick between Star Wars and Star Trek I vote for Star Trek and it's spinoffs.  Star Wars would have fared better in my mind if they would have had a 7 of 9!   ;D

LtCol White

OK, I'm showing my age here but how about the old BBC series from the 60's called UFO.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

ColonelJack

Quote from: TDHenderson on April 03, 2007, 12:51:35 PM
Hey, what about Space 1999?  Anyone remember that gem? 

Space: 1999 was supposed to be the second season of "UFO" but, for reasons too vast and divergent to get into here, it was transformed into a different series.  UFO had been a success in both Britain and the States, but there were apparently some contract difficulties with the actors -- that and the fact that two or three years elapsed between filming seasons, the actors had gone on to other things and couldn't come back if the contracts weren't a problem.  So Gerry and Sylvia Anderson re-tooled the second UFO season and created Space: 1999.  To me, UFO was the far better series.

But to get back to the original question -- Star Trek all the way!!!  I watched the first broadcast of Trek in September of 1966, live in black and white at home in Chicago.  (I was eight.)  It hooked me that night and I've loved Trek ever since.  (I'm not the biggest fan of TNG, DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise, though.) 

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ColonelJack

Quote from: LtCol White on April 03, 2007, 12:58:01 PM
OK, I'm showing my age here but how about the old BBC series from the 60's called UFO.

Classic series from the '60s that became a '70s gem in the States!  I loved that show and even "joined" SHADO (the fan club, not the alien-hunting organization).  I've actually served under officers who were like Commander Straker -- cold, distant, committed to only the mission, not much of a hint of humanity.  Go back and watch the series and see how much that dedication cost Straker in his personal life.  Wow.

Jack 
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

LtCol White

A couple years ago I bought the UFO series on DVD. Had a ball watching it again.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

davedove

Quote from: Major_Chuck on April 03, 2007, 01:26:51 AM
Oh no.  Star Trek is hands down better than Star Wars.  When the Ewoks appeared in the Star Wars Universe that was the nail in the coffin.

I don't know, I though the battle between the Empire forces and the Ewoks was great.  The super bad high tech empire forces defeated by teddy bears with sticks and stones. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

DogCollar

Does anyone remember a British Sci-fi show from the '70's that revolved around what happened following an explosion on the moon?  I believe that the explosion sent the moon out of earth orbit, yet there remained a "functional" moon base, staffed with survivors trying to figure out how to continue surviving?

Does anyone else remember this show?  Or, am I having hallucinations?  
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

ZigZag911

I am devoted to all things Trek, since Season One TOS.

ST & SW are different genres, and I enjoyed the first SW story arc (Episodes 4-5-6).

I was not drawn to the theater for SW 1-2-3, because I thought a 'prequel' when you knew the ultimate fate of the prime character was somewhat silly...Anakim Skywalker/Darth Vader was simply not that compelling a character, more a 2 dimensional bad guy......finally watched it on cable recently, the films confirmed my opinion.

FARRIER

Quote from: DogCollar on April 03, 2007, 02:23:08 PM
Does anyone remember a British Sci-fi show from the '70's that revolved around what happened following an explosion on the moon?  I believe that the explosion sent the moon out of earth orbit, yet there remained a "functional" moon base, staffed with survivors trying to figure out how to continue surviving?

Does anyone else remember this show?  Or, am I having hallucinations? 

Space 1999
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Chappie

Star Trek or Star Wars????    I was thinking Star Search .... better yet Space Balls.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

davedove

Quote from: Chappie on April 03, 2007, 03:27:15 PM
Star Trek or Star Wars????    I was thinking Star Search .... better yet Space Balls.

Or Galaxy Quest - great movie.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

O-Rex

Has anyone seen the video of Leonard Nimoy singing "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins?" 

http://www.tolkiencollector.com/bilbobal.htm   You'll need Quick-Time to view it.

Totally hysterical.  He's on some "Shindig" style TV show, sporting the Spock haircut (it was filmed summer of '67, at that time they were shooting season 2 of ST-TOS) Blazer Jacket w/Turtleneck, Chinos and Beatle-boots...and the go-go dancers, groovy baby, yeah!  It's even better than Spock jamming on his Vulcan harp with the space hippies (remember that episode?)  It's just another reason why "I grock Spock!"

Anyone remember "Space: Above & Beyond?"  I thought it was pretty good.  Ran for one season on ABC in 1995, then Sci-Fi Channel ran it in '99.  Space Marines on the Space Carrier Ticonderoga fighting the "Chigs." It was Vic Morrow's "Combat" (wow, that goes waaaay back!) and "Black Sheep Squadron" all rolled into one, albeit in outer space.  It was a lot like the new BSG, dark and edgy.  They were selling the Cockpit set for the "hammerhead" fighter on ebay not too long ago, asking price was $11K.

Honestly, I think you are all totally missing the boat here: I love Science-Fiction, but if this is a non-locking, no-holds-barred thread, let's put it all on the line and let it loose.

drum roll, please.......

The REAL burning question of television in the 1970's was: Who was hotter: Marcia Brady, or Laurie Partridge???

LtCol White

Space Above and Beyond was really good. They killed it right when they were getting to the heart of the story.  You're right, it was very similar to the new BSG
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG