New CAP Governance Structure

Started by RiverAux, August 24, 2012, 04:27:06 PM

NCRblues

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 25, 2012, 09:43:40 AM
The Chairman of the BOG must be either Jesus or Lenin.

This ^ made my morning... I am stealing this.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

bosshawk

That statement is meaningful for those of us over 20, but I suspect that the teenagers on this thread have no idea what it means.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on August 25, 2012, 04:59:36 AM
While a National Commander could do so they certainly would be second guessed. If they were not justified (documentation) that is the kind of thing that would quickly go through an IG complaint and would hit the BoG in a very ugly manner. I would not want to be the CAP/CC that removed someone without just cause. It likely would be one of the last things they did as CAP/CC.

Also, Wing CCs are selected by the Region CCs, who are picked by the Nat CC, and the Nat CC is picked by the BoG.

I suspect the BoG will have the time, inclination, and ability to do a pretty thorough investigation into any applicants. Interviews, the whole works. Previously, a Nat CC campaign might include very limited amounts of knowledge by the majority of folks doing the voting. And I know some candidates for CAP/CC would try to pander to ANYONE who was at National Boards.

Next up: officer fitness reports? Promotion and selection boards that are meaningful? Granted, this is just conjecture on my part, but wouldn't that change the landscape for the better?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

bosshawk

And wholesale defection from CAP.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

lordmonar

Quote from: RRLE on August 25, 2012, 11:13:19 AM
Quote from: ltcmark on August 25, 2012, 01:11:19 AMThis means an end to popularity contest of commander selection.  This will definitely eliminate a lot of the good-ol-boy network and a lot of the butt kissing.

Sorry to burst your and some other bubbles but the first thing a reorg of this type does is just change whose butt must be kissed.

Some of the politicians under the old school may not survive the new butt kissing, other will thrive and new players will come to the fore but there will be butt kissing and politics.

The politics may be even less transparent then they are today since the majority of the BOD are not even CAP members. The winners will be those who figure out how to kiss those butts, which will probably not occur in CAP view.
Or....we will all just get promoted based on ability.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

FW

I like the new changes. As one who has seen the volunteer leadership slide down the slope consistantly for the last 15 years, this new structure will add a modicum of sense to governance. The only worry I still have is how the 4 at large CAP BoG members will be selected. These members need to be totally plugged in to the commanders/members needs to be effective advocates for the organization and it's members.  Also, the National Commander needs to be able to communicate the Policies of the Bog to his/her subortinate commanders in a way they will be motivated to impliment them.
Region and Wing commanders will serve "at the pleasure" of the next higher commander however, there is still a MARB. Also, I think I heard the BoG will be involved with approving the appointment and removal of region commanders.  It seems there will still be checks and balances for the system. We still don't know the "details" and, we won't see the new C&BLs until October 1. 

All and all, I strongly agree with CAP's new governance structure.  It is long overdue. As "new blood" comes into command, they will understand their roles and responsibiliities.  It will most likely take 3 to 4 years for things to settle in. I'm very optomistic. 

PHall

Quote from: bosshawk on August 25, 2012, 06:18:59 PM
And wholesale defection from CAP.

As you sir, have already done. Since you seem to be pretty happy about being a "former member", why do you even care? ???

JeffDG

To put a contrarian spin on it...

This change makes it such that those who contribute copious amounts of their time and their treasure have even less say in how the organization is run.

davidsinn

Quote from: JeffDG on August 25, 2012, 08:42:38 PM

This change makes it such that those who contribute copious amounts of their time and their treasure have even less say in how the organization is run.

How much say do you have now?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JeffDG

Quote from: davidsinn on August 25, 2012, 09:32:13 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on August 25, 2012, 08:42:38 PM

How much say do you have now?
Not a bunch, but that doesn't mean it should go to even less.

jimmydeanno

Perhaps we could be an anarcho-syndicalist commune.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

coudano

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 25, 2012, 11:37:11 PM
Perhaps we could be an anarcho-syndicalist commune.

so what, take turns acting as a chief executive for a week,
all of whose decisions have to be approved at  a special bi weekly meeting...

i didn't vote for you!!!

FlyTiger77

Of the previous national commanders, I wonder how many would not have met the new qualification standards.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

SARDOC

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on August 26, 2012, 01:38:49 AM
Of the previous national commanders, I wonder how many would not have met the new qualification standards.

I'm not thinking about past national commanders.  The real question is of the potential pool of future national commanders, How many meet that benchmark?

Garibaldi

Quote from: SARDOC on August 26, 2012, 02:33:28 AM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on August 26, 2012, 01:38:49 AM

I'm not thinking about past national commanders.  The real question is of the potential pool of future national commanders, How many meet that benchmark?

I guess that's me out. I have a 99.9% completed BA but...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

ColonelJack

Well, I meet two of the three qualifications - I have Level V and I have a bachelor's degree (and two beyond that).

I've just never been a Wing commander.

So I guess that leaves me out as well...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

spacecommand

I saw the new badges today.  Essentially the same design but with different text reflecting the new titles.

RiverAux

Quote from: lordmonar on August 25, 2012, 12:30:03 AM
While we will always have local politics.....at the unit group and wing levels....the Wing Commander who wish to move up will have to do it more on PERFORMANCE at the wing level instead of political reliability or any sort of fuedal system.

Wing commander can now focus more on execution of the policies and guidance coming from HQ instead of splitting all their time doing staffer jobs and jokeying for position for their next position or election.

I don't think the issue of the ultimate CAP goal of the wing commander is really a factor.  Whether you've got the best wing commander ever or one of the worst most imcompetent jerks ever to wear the uniform, they still have to kiss butt to move up the chain just as they always have.  As far as I know, the worst wing commander I served under had no higher ambitions and there is no telling how many people he drove away.  The most ambitious wing commander I served under did some pretty darn good things in the wing -- and thats coming from a guy who had some conflicts with him. 

The fact of the matter is that no Regional Commander is ever going to know enough about potential Wing Commander candidates to really pick the best one.  They're not really going to know that person's reputation in the wing for competence and ability.  And once picked those people are going to stay in place 95% of the time even if they turn out to be horrible at the job because the Region Commander has no way to learn that they're doing horrible. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on August 26, 2012, 03:35:43 PMThe fact of the matter is that no Regional Commander is ever going to know enough about potential Wing Commander candidates to really pick the best one.  They're not really going to know that person's reputation in the wing for competence and ability.  And once picked those people are going to stay in place 95% of the time even if they turn out to be horrible at the job because the Region Commander has no way to learn that they're doing horrible.

How do you figure?

The one's from his home wing will be known to him, and most candidates will have been on staff at a level to have visibility to the Region.
Anyone >not< visible at the region level shouldn't even be considered for the job, and a Region CC who does not have visibility of his commanders
isn't doing his job.

Success should be measured based on goals and performance, either you're meeting them or you aren't.

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

Changing the topic a little, there's a point I didn't quite follow from the presentation - how do BoG members get appointed?  It just says that the four from CAP get appointed by CAP without reference to how we do it.  General election?  A big huddle?  Conclave with white/black smoke?