Main Menu

Wing Conference...

Started by Sgt. Fischer, May 15, 2012, 04:43:57 PM

Sgt. Fischer

I am planning to attend my Wing Conference, and I was wondering what is it like at a Wing Conference? What do you do? If you have any information, it might change my mind if I go our not. Thanks!

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

lordmonar

Depends on the wing.

Basically it is just a weekend of seminars.  They may have some ES training, CP training or other PD stuff going on.
There probably be a commander's call sort of meeting with lots of breifing.

Your best bet for answers about YOUR wing conference is your chain of command.

Go....have fun.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Sgt. Fischer

Quote from: lordmonar on May 15, 2012, 04:47:36 PM
Depends on the wing.

Basically it is just a weekend of seminars.  They may have some ES training, CP training or other PD stuff going on.
There probably be a commander's call sort of meeting with lots of breifing.

Your best bet for answers about YOUR wing conference is your chain of command.

Go....have fun.

Thanks! There's also going to be a Cadet Ball the night before, so, I'm sure I'll have a good time!

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

FlyTiger77

It is also a great time to meet folks from other squadrons and groups. The networking is one of the best reasons to go. It is always good to see how other units do things.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Sgt. Fischer

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on May 15, 2012, 06:36:35 PM
It is also a great time to meet folks from other squadrons and groups. The networking is one of the best reasons to go. It is always good to see how other units do things.

I agree! I love meeting other cadets, and meeting back up with my Encampment buddies!  ;D

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Major Carrales

At this year's Texas Wing Conference great steps were taken to insure programs for cadets.  There was even a military ball. If cadets are gonna attend there will need to be stuff for them to do aside from WING CAC.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Woodsy

Depending on where you're from, the activities could vary greatly.  Smaller wings might have smaller affairs.  For example, in Florida Wing, we usually have more members attend the conference than many wings have members.  This year we had around 450. 

It started with a desert social Friday night as people arrived.  This was a nice time to reconnect with friends from around the wing over some treats and talk.  It was an informal affair with no agenda, just a social.  Saturday morning started with a general assembly with everyone in the same room.  The National Vice Commander, Region Commander each gave a "state of the CAP speech." Then there were around 30 workshops, broken into 6 sessions so people could pick and choose what they attended.  Topics included specialty areas such as public affairs, logistics, IT, etc.  There were also ES sessions on IMU, UDF, scanner/observer best practices, etc.  Cadets had their own workshops, but were able to attend the senior member classes if the topic appealed to them.

Saturday night was the annual awards banquet, where awards were handed out after an excellent dinner.  This was a formal affair, with most people wearing mess dress or at minimum service dress blues.  Those who did not own either were asked to wear civilian attire, such as a tux or a suit.  After the banquet, the cadets had an "after party" with a DJ and some snacks.  The seniors went back to the hotels. 

Sunday morning started with an optional church service by several of the wing's chaplains, then the wing commander's town hall meeting.  more awards were handed out here, and also the final round of the wing cadet academic bowl.  There was a question and answer session with the wing staff.  That concluded around noon and everyone departed for home.

All in all, it was a great experience and well worth it.  I had a blast!  It was also a great time to network and meet other people from throughout the wing, tell stories and share experiences. 

spacecommand

As mentioned, every Wing is different, I've been to small half day conferences, to huge two and a half day conferences.

As you (the OP) is a Cadet, I would check your Wing's website for more info on cadet activities.  As you mentioned there is a cadet ball.  My wing also has the whole weekend full of cadet specific seminars covering topics from NCSA's, other activities, CAC etc.  You could also attend the seminars aimed at senior members if you wanted to as well.

I like conferences, I get to meet interesting people from other units/wings.

Sgt. Fischer

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 15, 2012, 07:00:35 PM
At this year's Texas Wing Conference great steps were taken to insure programs for cadets.  There was even a military ball. If cadets are gonna attend there will need to be stuff for them to do aside from WING CAC.

Right. Like I said, there is going to be a cadet ball, and other activities, so I believe we'll have a good turn out! 

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Sgt. Fischer

Quote from: Woodsy on May 15, 2012, 07:17:53 PM
Depending on where you're from, the activities could vary greatly.  Smaller wings might have smaller affairs.  For example, in Florida Wing, we usually have more members attend the conference than many wings have members.  This year we had around 450. 

It started with a desert social Friday night as people arrived.  This was a nice time to reconnect with friends from around the wing over some treats and talk.  It was an informal affair with no agenda, just a social.  Saturday morning started with a general assembly with everyone in the same room.  The National Vice Commander, Region Commander each gave a "state of the CAP speech." Then there were around 30 workshops, broken into 6 sessions so people could pick and choose what they attended.  Topics included specialty areas such as public affairs, logistics, IT, etc.  There were also ES sessions on IMU, UDF, scanner/observer best practices, etc.  Cadets had their own workshops, but were able to attend the senior member classes if the topic appealed to them.

Saturday night was the annual awards banquet, where awards were handed out after an excellent dinner.  This was a formal affair, with most people wearing mess dress or at minimum service dress blues.  Those who did not own either were asked to wear civilian attire, such as a tux or a suit.  After the banquet, the cadets had an "after party" with a DJ and some snacks.  The seniors went back to the hotels. 

Sunday morning started with an optional church service by several of the wing's chaplains, then the wing commander's town hall meeting.  more awards were handed out here, and also the final round of the wing cadet academic bowl.  There was a question and answer session with the wing staff.  That concluded around noon and everyone departed for home.

All in all, it was a great experience and well worth it.  I had a blast!  It was also a great time to network and meet other people from throughout the wing, tell stories and share experiences.

Wow! Now I can't wait for it! I hope it's as fun as that one sounded!  :clap: :clap: ;D ;D

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Extremepredjudice

There is a modify button. No need to spam 3 posts
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Sgt. Fischer

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on May 15, 2012, 08:08:24 PM

Thanks! Sorry.....  :(

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

a2capt

That guy is desperately trying to break 100 posts..

.. and if it's like CAWG, it turns into a $650 affair, if you count transportation (to some of them, across the state), the nights at the "conference" hotel, (and if not, the car parking or such, if you have to go there ..)

One year, it was held right at an airport hotel, rather than spend the loot on the hotel, I decided I'd burn AvGas instead, and flew in and out three days.

Yes, there are cheaper hotels near by usually, but .. 

OTOH, the way I saw KSWG doing it, one day. In. Out. Done. with optional bulk lodging available.. was pretty cool, and nicely priced.

RogueLeader

WY wing is having the option of bulk rate, and use of an armory for those cheap a$$es like me and for cadets that don't have money.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Woodsy

Florida held our conference at USF this year in the huge student union building.  There were tons of huge ball rooms and classrooms.  That left members able to find their own lodging.  3 hotels had special rates for us ranging from 70 - 100 a night, yet many members opted for other places around Tampa, some were as cheap as 30 a night. 

flyboy53

Quote from: Sgt. Fischer on May 15, 2012, 09:02:13 PM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on May 15, 2012, 08:08:24 PM

Thanks! Sorry.....  :(

We're pulling your chain.

Look for your first wing conference to be one of wows, and ah gee wiz, and big picture amazement because you will see more senior rank than ever before and the briefings will give you a rather solid impression of where you stand in the CAP and what the organization is up to that may not be much of common knowledge. Cadets are generally kept pretty busy in the relm of their own, but it wouldn't hurt if you sought out some of the break-out sessions like AE to get ideas to take back to your own unit.

NYW has gone to the Fort William Henry Resort for five years now. The first couple of years involved a lake cruise and banquet, which was pretty neat if you were near the front of the ship able to see the festivities and bad if you were in the back, but cool just the same. For my family, the added part of that was that you were in the heart of Revolutionary War battlefields. NER once held a conference near Concord, MA, which had it's own opportunities.

I hope it helps motivate you to either achieve great things or the incentive to go back to your unit and motivate the rest of them.