Main Menu

CAP id used at bank

Started by 4fhoward, October 11, 2011, 11:19:11 PM

4fhoward

I had an interesting experience at a bank today. 

I was cashing a check and the teller asked for two forms of id. 

I gave them my driver's license, pilot's license and my CAP id.  They handed my pilots license back and the manager approved my CAP id.  I found out the id is worth $99.90. 

Who would have thought it?

RiverAux

Did they ask for two forms of PHOTO id or just id? 

EMT-83

I wouldn't get too excited. I've used my fire department photo ID and we print those in the firehouse.

Hardshell Clam

Wow, this is big news... ID used as ID!  :o

4fhoward

They asked for two forms of photo id.

RiverAux

Yeah, then no big deal.  How many forms of photo ID does the average person have anyway?  Drivers license for most.  But, for the rest who else issues photo id that you carry around?  Maybe your employer?  So, a CAP photo id is going to be just as reliable, maybe slightly more so, than other forms of photo ID available to most.

RRLE

Quote from: RiverAux on October 19, 2011, 12:17:33 PM
who else issues photo id that you carry around?

State issued concealed carry permits come in handy for second id. And most holders carry the id even when they aren't packin'.

SARDOC

Quote from: RRLE on October 19, 2011, 08:03:12 PM
State issued concealed carry permits come in handy for second id. And most holders carry the id even when they aren't packin'.

My state won't put pictures on a CCP...it's too much government interference.  None of their business.  :)

SarDragon

I currently have 4 pic IDs in my wallet - DD Form 2 (Ret), DD Form 1173, CA driver license, and CAP ID. The second one gets me the most bennies.  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Lord

My State, California, does not put photos on our CCW; Its just a little folded piece of paper with your vitals and which weapons are on your permit (maximum of three) I have a Utah CCW permit that has a photo and looks very official. (Why Utah, you may ask? CA does not have reciprocity with any other states) Our CA Private Investigator ID cards look like College ID's......I guess we could always carry our passports... ( affectionately known as the mark of the beast) The only ones who seem to care about the CAP ID is the Gate Guards at Travis, but I suspect I could show them an Al Queda membership card and they would let me through.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

N Harmon

A few years ago I lost my wallet in Quantico, VA and was able to use my CAP ID to get a replacement driver's license.

Quote from: Major Lord on October 20, 2011, 02:00:12 AMCA does not have reciprocity with any other states

FWIW, Michigan accepts resident permits from every state that issues them, including California. Part of that whole "full faith and credit" thingy. ;)
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Major Lord

The distinction is that although some States will "honor" another States permit, actual reciprocity is a whole different ball game. The U.S. Govt. only views the Constitution as a set of general "guidelines" that they would happily dispose of if they could. Phrases such as "Congress Shall Make no Law....." seem to be a little to vague for Congress to understand.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SARDOC

Quote from: Major Lord on October 23, 2011, 03:57:07 AM
Phrases such as "Congress Shall Make no Law....." seem to be a little to vague for Congress to understand.a whole different ball game.

Your making a partial quote from the First Amendment so I think I'm missing the segue.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have three photo ID's: driver's licence, NEXUS (pre-screened US/Canadian border crossing) card and CAP ID.

I have never had to use the CAP ID for anything except CAP purposes.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Major Lord

Quote from: SARDOC on October 23, 2011, 04:19:38 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on October 23, 2011, 03:57:07 AM
Phrases such as "Congress Shall Make no Law....." seem to be a little to vague for Congress to understand.a whole different ball game.

Your making a partial quote from the First Amendment so I think I'm missing the segue.

This is just an example of how the Constitution has been largely ignored by Congress in its passing of laws, if I had quoted the privileges and immunities clause "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States" the point would have been less clear . Other more recent examples include the president's submission as Secretary of State in direct violation of the Emoluments clause, or initiating wars without a declaration of War by Congress. ( This has not been a problem with just the current administration) There is not enough room on this board to discuss all the ways the Constitution has been intentionally violated by the Federal Government, but I thought that a clear reading from the B.O.R. would show that the Constitution is now little more than a mission statement to the Fed's, and is certainly  not seen as barring them from any actions they see fit to impress upon individuals and the States. The Constitution is written in language so clear only a lawyer could misunderstand it.

Major Lord

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: CyBorg on October 23, 2011, 06:34:18 AM
I have three photo ID's: driver's licence, NEXUS (pre-screened US/Canadian border crossing) card and CAP ID.

I have never had to use the CAP ID for anything except CAP purposes.
CAP should have a specific regulation that PROHIBITS the use of the issued ID card for anything but CAP related activities.   Remember that anytime ID information is taken off the card and written on another record, there's the possibility for compromise OR that other agency/company (issuing the card) becoming involved in a matter they shouldn't be involved with in the first place (and will have to take staff time to respond to).

Frankly though the two picture ID provision anywhere is stupid because most people will only have one picture ID card (driver's license or state ID card)  >:(
RM

davidsinn

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 23, 2011, 03:59:21 PM

CAP should have a specific regulation that PROHIBITS the use of the issued ID card for anything but CAP related activities.

Really more administrative BS?

QuoteFrankly though the two picture ID provision anywhere is stupid because most people will only have one picture ID card (driver's license or state ID card)  >:(

This I can agree with.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ol'fido

What information?  My name? My CAP ID? My expiration date? My unit charter? What info are they going to use and how will they get into anything they shouldn't with that info? I have three photo IDs in my wallet right now not including my CAP ID.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

N Harmon

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 23, 2011, 03:59:21 PMCAP should have a specific regulation that PROHIBITS the use of the issued ID card for anything but CAP related activities.

Oh good grief.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

Smokey

Radioman......I think a law should be made that a military ID...including retired...can only be used for military purposes and then only on a military base.  :)
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

SarDragon

Shouldn't that be a winky smiley -  ;) ?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hardshell Clam

OK, here it is, so you will understand what "real ID" is per the federal govt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

Note that your CAP ID, security guard/private dick ID, CCW permit, etc. are NOT considered "real ID". They are often considered "supporting" ID. 

Each state develops what it considers acceptable ID to do things like have a beer, drive etc. and the fed govt determines what ID is for international travel.

This is not meant as or inviting a "the fed govt. is bad" or "My JR Girl Scout ID card is legal ID" etc. debate, just a legal view of what "ID" is, but knock yourself out.  :clap:

Major Lord

In the parlance of intelligence, secondary documentation is called "Backstop I.D." ( Not to be confused with "Id" see: Sigmund Freud) someone running a con or an operation will have multiple types of easy to get ID ( library card, business card with a telephone answering service, pre-paid credit card, AARP or NRA card, etc, plus a dental appointment card and family photos) to  backstop his primary ( doubtless forged or stolen) I.D., Although only a rank amateur would have conflicting I.D.'s carried on his person! This keeps the victim from digging too far into the veracity of the primary I.D. ( Passport, Driver's License. etc) You can buy a pretty good "camouflage passport" for around $700.00 bucks, usually from a country that no longer exists using any name and address you care to. Of course, you can get a CAP I.D. for $75.00 and a set of fingerprints, and since most SQ's don't actually take fingerprints, you could use anyone's finger prints for your application. Who would turn down a guy in a Captain-costume and a CAP I.D. to buy a six pack of beer or cash a small check?

Major Lord

davidsinn

Quote from: Major Lord on October 24, 2011, 04:27:00 AM
Who would turn down a guy in a Captain-costume and a CAP I.D. to buy a six pack of beer or cash a small check?

Somebody with at least two functioning neurons?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hardshell Clam

In the parlance of intelligence, secondary documentation is called "Backstop I.D." Major Lord

In my 33 year being a full time LEO and agent, never heard it called "backstop ID"and I done got me some of that there intelligence... Just saying ;)

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 24, 2011, 02:27:52 PM
In the parlance of intelligence, secondary documentation is called "Backstop I.D." Major Lord

In my 33 year being a full time LEO and agent, never heard it called "backstop ID"and I done got me some of that there intelligence... Just saying ;)
I read it in a Tom Clancy novel... >:D

Therefore, it must be true. 8)
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

PHall

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 25, 2011, 01:53:52 AM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 24, 2011, 02:27:52 PM

I read it in a Tom Clancy novel... >:D

Therefore, it must be true. 8)

But, does Chuck Norris carry one?  It's only true if he does! >:D

Major Lord

Law enforcement is not intelligence.......The nomenclature is different. Cops don't have "false flag ops" either. The term "backstop I.D." is  used when creating a "Legend", or an identity good enough to stand up to more than casual examination. It also includes the term "pocket trash", which has a very different meaning outside of intelligence.

Major Lord

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: Major Lord on October 25, 2011, 03:47:09 AM
Law enforcement is not intelligence.......The nomenclature is different. Cops don't have "false flag ops" either. The term "backstop I.D." is  used when creating a "Legend", or an identity good enough to stand up to more than casual examination. It also includes the term "pocket trash", which has a very different meaning outside of intelligence.

Major Lord

When I said I "done got me some intelligence" it did not refer to intelligance or counterintelligence (2 dif things) it was me being daft is all.

As to LEO agencies not being intelligence, funny how we had a counterintelligence section in my LEO agency... But then, we were not talking about false flag ops, blah blah blah, we were talking about ID cards and what is considered legal ID and not old "spy speak".  And yes I know what pocket trash is both in and out of the intelligence meanings but then, anyone can go online for that info.

ElectricPenguin

I use my CAPID at the airport. :clap: Lots of strange looks though.

Major Lord

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on October 25, 2011, 04:56:23 AM
Quote from: Major Lord on October 25, 2011, 03:47:09 AM

Major Lord

When I said I "done got me some intelligence" it did not refer to intelligance or counterintelligence (2 dif things) it was me being daft is all.

As to LEO agencies not being intelligence, funny how we had a counterintelligence section in my LEO agency... But then, we were not talking about false flag ops, blah blah blah, we were talking about ID cards and what is considered legal ID and not old "spy speak".  And yes I know what pocket trash is both in and out of the intelligence meanings but then, anyone can go online for that info.

I am not trying to just irritate you by saying that LE does not conduct intelligence, but the differences in nomenclature are very different. I would rate the CAPID ( or the 101 card with photo) in the realm of "Pocket trash" . Police Intelligence units are notorious for getting into trouble, since the collection of "intelligence" versus "evidence" is much broader. ( I knew a former member of the San Francisco Police Intelligence group ( a former CIA Intelligence Officer) who was forced to resign after ( allegedly) sharing intel with the local rep from the Israeli counter-intelligence group, making him an "agent" . The words used to describe an individual have very distinct meanings in different circles. You for instance identified your self as an LEO, and an  'agent" in one of your posts. Two things that are very, very different. ( Ned will no doubt discuss the other, legal term of "agency", a horse of yet another color)  Your Intel group probably uses the term "Agent" as someone carrying a badge, but in intelligence, and "agent"  is a secretly placed operative designed to steal intel from the opposition, not an investigator, per se. ( well, our agents are good guys-their agents are spies..the penalties for both are about the same, depending on who is playing the game)

The importance of how the CAP ID is used for Identification is important. Many might mistake the CAP ID as an official government document, but its just some ID printed out by a guy named "Bubba somewhere in Alabama. To the uninitiated though, a CAP ID and might get you into places a DL might not, so its a good backstop I.D. I understood your grammar and spelling as humor, we have no quarrel in this brother.

Major Lord

Hardshell Clam

"You for instance identified your self as an LEO, and an  'agent" in one of your posts. Two things that are very, very different."

Special Agent GS-1811, a law enforcement position. The intelligence division I referred to was in a federal agency which by my oath and charter, have duties to deter all enemies both foreign and domestic. You do have a point, CIA agents are not LEOs, but take for example the FBI, DEA and other fed agencies, who's agents are LEOs AND, have intelligence missions both here and abroad.

Do local cops have "intelligence" divisions? Sure, but apples and oranges.

Dracosbane

The only time I've ever used my CAP ID for anything other than IDing myself as a CAP member is as a second form of ID to buy alcohol at the local liquor store.  And they only wanted it to make sure I *had* two forms of ID with my name on it so that I was legitimately the person on my DL capable of buying there.  They didn't really care what the ID was, they just wanted my name on something else.

teesquared

I lost my driver's license on a trip one time, and I got thru airport security on my CAP picture ID.
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147