Wreaths Across America As Squadron Fund Raiser Morally Wrong?

Started by RADIOMAN015, September 15, 2010, 11:00:19 PM

RADIOMAN015

I think it is morally wrong for squadrons to use the Wreaths Across America program as a fund raising program for the squadron not directly related with this specific programs objectives (e.g. use all funds to support the program itself with no residual for other squadron support). 

I'm disappointed that the entire National Leadership structure seems to fail to understand the essence of this moral dilemma by even allowing /suggesting that squadrons use this as a general fund raiser  :-[ :(

(My unit in the past has never used it as a fund raiser, since our commander has the appropriate moral compass to guide us).

We all know that the majority of purchasers of these Wreaths have suffered a loss and want to remember their loved ones -- it is very emotional for them. We as an organization should be supportive to this and the right thing to do is to elect the "3 for 2" option (offered by the Worcester Wreath Company)  which would allow us to get extra wreaths so that we could place them on graves for those that have no one or who have surviving relatives that can't afford to purchase wreaths. 

Perhaps a re reading of our core values "Volunteer Service" .... "service to humanity"....   is the essence of what I speak.

I think that if we at the squadron level want to raise funds for a specific purposes, than we should have a fund raising drive/activity for that purpose and so state/be forcoming.  Let's not "hide behind" another very worthwhile program that honors deceased personnel and has us obtaining a "profit" from this emotionally invoking nationwide ceremony :( >:(
RM

HGjunkie

http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/fundraiser.html

Did you even look at the website? It's been designed to be a fundraiser for organizations that participate in it. $5 for each $15 wreath to be exact.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: HGjunkie on September 15, 2010, 11:08:28 PM
http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/fundraiser.html

Did you even look at the website? It's been designed to be a fundraiser for organizations that participate in it. $5 for each $15 wreath to be exact.

Yes, BUT again there's an option to plow the profit back in to get more Wreaths rather than a check -- That's what I think is the RIGHT, MORALLY THING TO DO BY CAP :angel:
rm 

jimmydeanno

So to sum this up, you find it morally questionable to sell wreaths to honor veterans and profit from it.  You aren't against participating in WWA, but are against the squadron getting a check for the number of wreaths they sell.

You would prefer that all the monies donated by the sponsors get used to provide more wreaths.

Correct?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 15, 2010, 11:27:40 PM
So to sum this up, you find it morally questionable to sell wreaths to honor veterans and profit from it.  You aren't against participating in WWA, but are against the squadron getting a check for the number of wreaths they sell.

You would prefer that all the monies donated by the sponsors get used to provide more wreaths.

Correct?
That is correct, we don't use the money for anything else, we use it to honor more deceased personnel.
RM

Thrashed

I wouldn't call any money going to a worthy volunteer organization (CAP) as "profit".  ALL volunteer organization raise funds and like most are "non-profit" organizations. I don't see the problem.  Maybe you would like to personally fund my squadron instead?

Save the triangle thingy

Major Lord

"I think it is morally wrong for squadrons to use the Wreaths Across America program as a fund raising program for the squadron not directly related with this specific programs objectives (e.g. use all funds to support the program itself with no residual for other squadron support)."

Your topic sentence is a bit confusing. What actions or omissions do you consider immoral in this regard? Would the public good be better served if no one laid the wreathes, since apparently the funding of the program is tainted by the evil of capitalist dollars? Absent an organization willing to carry out an activity like this, it would not occur (Q.E.D.) Would you prefer that they streamline the program, and have the FEDEX man drop a boxed wreathe on the grave of one of our brothers, and run the program as a strictly break-even proposition?

Aside from this magical compass of your Commander's, ( Which is apparently not CAP issue) can you clarify your rationale?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

a2capt

Someone turn the dial on the radio.. this station is full of troll..

Fine, it's real simple. For every three you sell, take the $5 and buy another one. At the end of the day you'll have an extra $5 left over, buy a can of coffee and drink up.

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

So if Lt Col Sparrow of Alaska Wing wants to buy an M65 jacket (Don't care about personal preference, just throwing something essential out there) for Cadet Snuffy so that he doesn't freeze to death (maybe exaggerating, but you get the point)- you find this morally wrong?

How about if the funds went to DDR programs to help young people stay away from drugs and alcohol? Or to the unit Honor Guard, which generally runs DDR in the squadron?

No, I don't agree with Capt Cranium using the funds to get that flight suit he "just has to have." But if that's happening, much bigger problems than simply fundraiser issues.

Patterson

The only people involved with WAA who make money off this endeavor is the company organizing this each year.  They use the money they make to pay employees and the owner.  CAP units on the other hand do not have paid employees and members do not receive a salary (not supposed to at least!!)

So, in my Squadron we sell nearly 400 wreaths each year.  I use the money generated from the fundraiser to pay for transportation of 30 members out to the closest National Cemetery and roughly 10 members to 4 monuments to place wreaths.  That is not a low cost endeavor.  I also use the "profits" from the wreaths to buy the members who participated in the wreath ceremonies a late lunch or early supper.  To get the members out to the National Cemetery cost the Squadron close to $300.00 last year.  Fuel, tolls and associated costs add up.  Kick in lunch and it hits the ceiling.

So in the end I have a lot of money left over.  We use it to purchase items to send overseas to Service Members.  At the very end we may have one or two hundred dollars left.  We use that money to send one or two Cadets to Encampment who may not be able to afford it.

Am I stealing from the Wreaths event??  Am I morally wrong??     

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Thrash on September 16, 2010, 12:10:57 AM
I wouldn't call any money going to a worthy volunteer organization (CAP) as "profit".  ALL volunteer organization raise funds and like most are "non-profit" organizations. I don't see the problem.  Maybe you would like to personally fund my squadron instead?

I would expect your squadron to get funding by having another type of fund raiser (that is right up front what you are raising money for not "hidden" within another program) that doesn't prey on people who have lost their love ones and are emotionally susceptible to this solicitation. >:(

I think the Worcester Wreath Company is well aware of this concern by some "reputable" non profit organizations (and at least one CAP squadron) and that is why they offer the option of any organization using all funds collected to get more wreaths and not a check.

For the others I'm not trolling, your squadrons are just going to have to decide if the money is that important to your squadron via this covert "fund raiser" or IF you will do the right thing ( in my mind) and walk away with NO money for your squadron but more wreaths to place & honor the deceased, and feel good about it ???

RM     

tsrup

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 16, 2010, 02:30:07 AM
Quote from: Thrash on September 16, 2010, 12:10:57 AM

I would expect your squadron to get funding by having another type of fund raiser (that is right up front what you are raising money for not "hidden" within another program) that doesn't prey on people who have lost their love ones and are emotionally susceptible to this solicitation. >:(

I think the Worcester Wreath Company is well aware of this concern by some "reputable" non profit organizations (and at least one CAP squadron) and that is why they offer the option of any organization using all funds collected to get more wreaths and not a check.

For the others I'm not trolling, your squadrons are just going to have to decide if the money is that important to your squadron via this covert "fund raiser" or IF you will do the right thing ( in my mind) and walk away with NO money for your squadron but more wreaths to place & honor the deceased, and feel good about it ???

RM   

So its okay to sell candy bars, but not honor veterans?  So its better for the bereaved to buy a wreath from wal mart and put it out themselves or have a cadet post it for them? 

I'm pretty sure that the purchasers of the wreaths know where there money is going, if not, then that is an issue.  Otherwise it might be time to get off your high horse before you start getting saddle sores.
Paramedic
hang-around.

DakRadz

EMT-83

Cadets, how and where did you get the impression that it is acceptable to post insulting comments and/or images directed to senior members?

Major Lord

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 16, 2010, 03:02:18 AM
Cadets, how and where did you get the impression that it is acceptable to post insulting comments and/or images directed to senior members?

Really! Where did these kids get the idea that people treat each other this way on line.....oooooooh..........never mind.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Patterson

Quote from: EMT-83 on September 16, 2010, 03:02:18 AM

Or toward anyone. 

Slim

I have no qualms, morally or otherwise about using this as a fundraiser for my unit. 

Then again, we are very up front about sharing the fact that a portion of each wreath sold comes back to help fund a volunteer youth program, to help defray the costs of activities, purchase uniform items for our members, etc.  And I've yet to encounter someone who had a problem with it.

For the record, the first year my unit participated, we sold over 500 wreaths.  Most of those were sold at places like the Detroit Police Officer's association, DPD command officer's association, A couple of FOP lodges, the Axemen motorcycle club, VFW, AMVETs, Marine Corps League,  and American Legion posts, and their auxiliaries, and the Patroit Guard Riders.  Again, not one of those organizations had a problem with some of the money they spent coming back to help fund our unit.

When looked at from a different direction, we'd have to sell a lot of $1.00 candy bars (where we might actually get $.25 back) to equal out what we earn back with WAA.

Slim

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

lordmonar

RM.

Someone always proffits from these not for proffit efforts.

I applaud your desire to simply use WAA as a way to honor veterans.  However to say that any one who also uses this event as a fund raiser is morally wrong.....is in its self wrong.

If you are worried that someone is making a proffit off of WAA...then you should not participate in it at all....because there are tons of people making a proffit.  First there is WAA Ltd.  They be a NFP organisation....but I can guarantee that they have a paid staff.  Then there is Worcester Wreath Company.....they formed WAA in the first place to help increase their sales AND to honor veterans....then there is the shipping companies.

If you and your unit wants to donate the profits that you made through WAA to buying more wreaths....good on you.  But don't call the rest of us morally bankrupt.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP