Howdo you send in ideas to national?

Started by zonaman, August 10, 2010, 07:29:05 AM

zonaman

Hello everybody I'm fairly new to Cap Talk and I was hoping someone or many of you might know how to send a new idea for a patch to national.

I have come up with a new design to replace the "snoopy patch" (ES) .Is there a web site or a NB e-mail address to send this kind of stuff in to?

I've asked around and some say there is a new national uniform committee of some sort, and others are not even sure, but all have said that ideas like mine can defiantly be sent in - just not sure how.   Thanks  :D

CadetProgramGuy

Your best bet is to send it up the chain of command through your Squadron, then Wing commander.

There will be some red tape, but its the growing pains.

a2capt

I certainly get the impression, that while thats the proper way to do it, the odds of ones message/idea/content/etc - making it all the way to NHQ, either before the next Ice Age hits, or even at all, if someone along the way just "doesn't like it".. I mean, I have to wonder, just what are the odds that stuff does get passed on like it should?

I'm just not convinced it happens.

sparks

If you post  a picture of the patch here on Cap Talk one of the Nationally connected regulars might move it forward. Not a direct path but one that could be useful.

JC004

Honestly:
1.  I hate patches and flinch when I hear about a new one, but if there is a possible replacement for a cartoon, I'm all for that
2.  I'm not totally convinced the process of pushing things up through the Wing King to the NB always works.  It certainly depends on who your Wing King is.  I tried getting things to the NB before through Wing and they never went anyplace.  Some was just basic revisions to, for instance, 39-1 to correct holes in the manuals/regulations.  It wasn't radical stuff like a new uniform or anything.  I've also sent up things that I've developed which never seemed to go anywhere.  I've had instances in which things came along years later which were much like I had developed (like the basic training materials for cadets), but I think they were mostly, if not entirely, coincidence. 

LOTS of worthwhile stuff gets lost in the pipeline in CAP, in my experience.  That is why a lot of people I know have quit, retired, or resigned.  It's really a shame.  SO MUCH incredible member energy and innovation simply dies on the vine.

As a result of this stuff, CAP has prepared me personally to be better prepared for organizational politics, dealing with the frustrations, etc.  It's just a shame that the organization must suffer for me to become better in those areas personally.

That said, hopefully over time it will change.  It can only change if members keep pushing positive things forward and trying to get great people onto the endless governing bodies.  CAP has incredible room for growth, innovation, and offering opportunities that can't be easily found elsewhere.  Just keep pushing.

RiverAux

In my experience, even when NHQ solicits comments from the field (such as about draft regulations), they don't receive or don't act on fixing actual mistakes or basic editing comments. 

cap235629

Go outside, face into the wind, unzip.............  :D  :D  :D
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

FW

Hey guys.  Stop razzing the new guy.  CrazyLT, just pay your wing commander the bribe he requires to prepare an agenda item for the winter NB meeting.  Make sure you include a full color picture of the design with specs.  Record the conversation and video the exchange.   I'm sure you'll get what you want,... >:D

Of course, if Colgan was still able, he could hack into the computer system at National...

Eclipse

Quote from: crazyLt on August 10, 2010, 07:29:05 AM
I have come up with a new design to replace the "snoopy patch" (ES) .Is there a web site or a NB e-mail address to send this kind of stuff in to?

Send it to "ignorethis@wedontneedmorepatches.gocivilairpatrol.com"

Don't take further action until you get a response.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: FW on August 10, 2010, 01:42:26 PM
Of course, if Colgan was still able, he could hack into the computer system at National...

I'm supposed to be taking an "Ethical Hacking" course, but I haven't started yet.  I don't know the first thing about it yet, other than basic password cracking.  We'll get there.  When we do, the sign will be a new web site.   >:D  bahahahaha

Quote from: RiverAux on August 10, 2010, 12:31:02 PM
In my experience, even when NHQ solicits comments from the field (such as about draft regulations), they don't receive or don't act on fixing actual mistakes or basic editing comments.

That too.

zonaman

Quote from: sparks on August 10, 2010, 10:38:29 AM
If you post  a picture of the patch here on Cap Talk one of the Nationally connected regulars might move it forward. Not a direct path but one that could be useful.
. . . . I'm not sure haw to post a picture, when I tried only a small box with an "x" appeared.

As for the rest of you . . . I can't stop laughing at your comets !! :clap: well I hope some one might know. I guess it just goes to wing. . . then somebodies desk . . . then a black hole. . . etc.  ;D I was hoping for a short cut. If I can figure out haw to post a jpeg you guys can see the patch ( and maby some one will send it in the "back door" at National >:D )

SarDragon

Quote from: crazyLt on August 10, 2010, 07:01:35 PM

Here it is

Where? I see tags in the page source code, but no image info.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JC004 on August 10, 2010, 06:40:53 PM
I'm supposed to be taking an "Ethical Hacking" course, ...  We'll get there.  When we do, the sign will be a new web site.   >:D  bahahahaha

Wouldn't that be against the idea of "ethical" hacking? >:D ;D

zonaman

. . . . I'm not sure haw to post a picture, when I tried only a small box with an "x" appeared.

As for the rest of you . . . I can't stop laughing at your comets !! :clap: well I hope some one might know. I guess it just goes to wing. . . then somebodies desk . . . then a black hole. . . etc.  ;D I was hoping for a short cut. If I can figure out haw to post a jpeg you guys can see the patch ( and maby some one will send it in the "back door" at National >:D )

sorry I dont type fast.

Eclipse

You can't until you have 100 posts, or you have to host it elsewhere and just link it.

PM me with an email and I will post it for you.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

PM sent.

Oops, forgot about the post count thing.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 10, 2010, 07:09:40 PM
Quote from: JC004 on August 10, 2010, 06:40:53 PM
I'm supposed to be taking an "Ethical Hacking" course, ...  We'll get there.  When we do, the sign will be a new web site.   >:D  bahahahaha

Wouldn't that be against the idea of "ethical" hacking? >:D ;D

That's what the course is in.  They didn't say it couldn't be used for evil eventually

The shortcut is to fax it.  The fax machines are hooked directly to a shredder which takes out the extra steps.  That is where my AFIADL 13 requests went for many years.  The paper scraps are then sold to a company which recycles them into red tape for use by CAP.

Still waiting for someone to pop in saying how beautifully the system works.  Hoping, really...

SarDragon

System? There's a system? We don't need no steenking system!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JC004 on August 10, 2010, 09:09:51 PMThe shortcut is to fax it.  The fax machines are hooked directly to a shredder which takes out the extra steps.  That is where my AFIADL 13 requests went for many years.  The paper scraps are then sold to a company which recycles them into red tape for use by CAP.

I'm pretty sure there's a similar system for e-mails. I'm quite confident that's what happened after I sent in my NESA release/med form/Atterbury release this year. I sent it twice and they still didn't have it on site.