Triangle thingy spottings

Started by RiverAux, May 16, 2010, 01:55:47 PM

JC004

LMAO.  You're right.  This is so hilarious.  So positively ridiculous.  They make a new one and not even that is kept consistent?  As I've mentioned throughout the board, NHQ doesn't keep this stuff consistent and even flat-out forgets that 900-2 exists in what they do with the seal, emblem, and the Air Force symbol.  For instance, the various incorrect versions of the seal that they use.  On top of that, the CAP seal/AF symbol combo that they use (and can be seen on the "CAP University" page). 

There was this whole thing with Arkansas Wing's letterhead, but who can blame Arkansas if NHQ isn't even using it IAW CAPR 900-2 and AF guidelines?  I'm not saying it's right, but higher headquarters sets the pace, right?

a2capt

Quote from: Marshalus on May 26, 2010, 04:40:56 PMWhat are you messing with permissions for? I think you mean:rm -rf /triangle-thingy
Because with the permissions changed, we can do whatever we want with it ;-)
Like you just did.

vmstan

Quote from: a2capt on May 26, 2010, 05:30:12 PM
Quote from: Marshalus on May 26, 2010, 04:40:56 PMWhat are you messing with permissions for? I think you mean:rm -rf /triangle-thingy
Because with the permissions changed, we can do whatever we want with it ;-)
Like you just did.

Gotcha
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

JC004

Branding for Dummies, page 23

Branding's essential ingredient
Originally we titled this section "Branding's Essential Ingredients." Lucky for
you, we changed the plural to a singular. Brands are built around four fundamentals:
product differentiation, relevance, esteem, and knowledge. But the
magic ingredient that converts those fundamentals into a branding success
story is consistency
. If you bring consistency to your branding program, you
end up with a brand that stands head and shoulders (no branding pun
intended) above the others.

Emphasis mine.

jeders

Just thought I'd post the reply from the email I sent to Vanguard on the issue of the lapel pin.

Quote from: Vanguard guyMr. Taylor:

It seems that I did over the link you so thoughtfully included in your message. The lapel pin in question was designed by CAP NHQ last year as a novelty item. It is not a uniform item and as such, did not require authorization from any governing body or entity of the Civil Air Patrol. I hope this answers your question. I am forwarding a copy of this email thread to our liaison at CAP NHQ so that they can be aware of your concerns.

Please contact me if I can be of further assistance. 

Apparently it came from National and was not originated at Vanguard. Just just further proof that the guys up at National have no idea how to create and maintain an effective brand.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JC004

But they couldn't at least make it the same colors?!

Come ooooooooon.  I don't want my brand to be a novelty item.  I want it to be a BRAND.

SarDragon

Too long, IMHO!

The horror of it all.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chief2009

Quote from: davidsinn on May 26, 2010, 04:42:34 PM
Just nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
LOL! I love that movie!

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

JC004

Just posting the image here for the benefit of those who wish to see and it'll save 'em a click.

Now that I look at it more, I realized that it isn't the same shape either.  The prop is a different size.  Sooooo, let's try this again:

Branding for Dummies, page 23

Branding's essential ingredient
Originally we titled this section "Branding's Essential Ingredients." Lucky for
you, we changed the plural to a singular. Brands are built around four fundamentals:
product differentiation, relevance, esteem, and knowledge. But the
magic ingredient that converts those fundamentals into a branding success
story is consistency
. If you bring consistency to your branding program, you
end up with a brand that stands head and shoulders (no branding pun
intended) above the others.

Emphasis mine.

RiverAux

Interestingly, NHQ public affairs uses the command patch on their press releases.  As the prime promoter of the triangle thingy I would have expected to see it on this product.

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on May 27, 2010, 09:24:05 PM
Interestingly, NHQ public affairs uses the command patch on their press releases.  As the prime promoter of the triangle thingy I would have expected to see it on this product.

Why?  Did you see consistency somewhere?

It's not really their fault...the policy makers have failed to address our brand issue on the whole for many, many years (so it isn't truly the fault of the current people in power either).

There has been changes like the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol," the command patches (all three), the emblem from the race car that was going on National's publications for a while, the van/aircraft changes, CIVIL AIR PATROL TRANSFORMERS, etc.

Regardless of fault, it has to be addressed like yesterday and a style guide needs to be released.  That then needs to be enforced from NHQ on down (since, as we see, NHQ isn't following current guidance). 

Eagle400

Quote from: JC004 on May 27, 2010, 04:06:50 AM

OMG I feel like I'm about to bring up a technicolor yawn.  Yuck.   

It's nice to know folks at the top care more about this triangle thingy, than more important things.  (i.e. the stuff affecting grassroots-level members).

::)

PhoenixRisen

My squadron just got a box of DDR stuff, which included quite a few copies of a publication called "Let's Go Flying".  It had the logo.   :-[

a2capt

Sounds like we really need a better TTR campaign to counter it.

Daniel

Can we kill the DDR logo too?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

A.Member

Quote from: Daniel L on May 28, 2010, 07:31:10 AM
Can we kill the DDR logo too?
Better yet, how about we just kill DDR?!

(ducks, runs...and hopes the thread just stays on topic)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RiverAux

Guess what other symbol is in use to help us with our brand?  This is the CAP Foundation  http://www.civilairpatrolfoundation.com/

vento

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on May 31, 2010, 03:15:21 AM
Guess what other symbol is in use to help us with our brand?  This is the CAP Foundation  http://www.civilairpatrolfoundation.com/

OK, so there we have the traditional red prop within a white triangle, but without a blue field.

I won't mention the clear issues with the web site, but this is yet another variation of CAP logos being used.

My question is simple:  Will it ever end?

Let's hope it ends soon.  It might rub off on McDonald's and they might go creating logos with different letters and crap!

You know...the other day, I saw a commercial on TV.  Even without the company's logo being visible until the end, I knew within maybe 2 seconds what company it was purely because of the color, even before the narration started!  Now THAT'S branding.  Van wraps are not.

POP QUIZ: I am a company logo.  I am red with white cursive letters.  What company am I?

PWK-GT

"Is it Friday yet"