Main Menu

Triangle thingy spottings

Started by RiverAux, May 16, 2010, 01:55:47 PM

A.Member

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 20, 2010, 01:47:32 PM
Quote from: JC004 on May 19, 2010, 09:51:50 PMjust as having posters or brochures with different themes and audiences, I suspect it is alright to have different banners as long as we have the same message.

You could use the same argument for the gazillion emblems and logos. Not that I support all of the emblems and logos, but you can apply that logic.
Not really.

This is more akin to a grass roots protest in which we all show up to protest the same issue but carry pickets with our own message.  The message is consistent - no more stupid triangle thingy!

:)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Spaceman3750

Sure you could. One could say "We need the MAJCOM patch when we do things geared towards military types, we need 18 corporate seals when we go to get sponsors (and we have our choice of colors to fit the situation), bla bla bla".

Just my .02.

JC004

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 20, 2010, 02:35:55 PM
Sure you could. One could say "We need the MAJCOM patch when we do things geared towards military types, we need 18 corporate seals when we go to get sponsors (and we have our choice of colors to fit the situation), bla bla bla".

Just my .02.

But such logic is NOT applied.  (I've been thinking about making a chart to show where what is applied for the various logo uses)  Properly organizations use different posters, billboards, and the like.  They tie things together with a unified message and identity, neither of which CAP seems to have.  Watch McDonald's commercials from across the world - different to the culture and the like, same logo, same identity, same messages.

Here is an ad for KFC which created controversy in the United States because the culture ascribes a different meaning.  Yet, you immediately identify the branding of KFC.  They have a different target audience - same message, same branding.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FftZt-Dw_hQ

We don't have an identity for protesting a logo, just a message.

vmstan

Spaceman, you it seem to be creating an issue where none exists.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

RickRutledge

I've spent 15 years in brand management, marketing and advertising and they truly are violating a few marketing 101 rules. This is simply a lack of brand management. As was said a couple of replies ago, well managed brands have a uniform identity when it comes to logos, colors, etc. across the world no matter the audience they are targeting. 

For example:
McDonald's retired Mac At Night back in 1989 but have since revived the mascot in Asia to brand their new "24 Hour" concept. But it all tied back to the McDonald's corporate identity of the golden arches in print, on-line and television. 

Most multi-national corporate identities spend millions in focus groups researching everything from colors in a logo to a positioning statement, looking for that perfect unified front. Now, I'm not saying we're in a position to need to do the same, but a max of 4 logos for our "corporate" identity as shown below with ONE logo being the most widely used logo for public consumption (my vote on that is the corporate seal that was on our vans until TP).

I do know that NHQ is working on a full blown marketing plan to be rolled out later this year, hopefully they are addressing this with said plan.

I'm really glad to see so many members concerned with the direction of CAP. It's refreshing to know people really do care as much as I do.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

JC004

w00t!  Join us!

Clearly there was no focus group here.  Seems people hate the Triangle Thingy and are just about as bent out of shape about our identity crisis as I am.  It sure hits home when it hits our wallets too.  That's a serious problem that the National Board has continuously neglected.

JC004

RiverAux

Quote from: RickRutledge on May 20, 2010, 04:57:12 PM
I do know that NHQ is working on a full blown marketing plan to be rolled out later this year, hopefully they are addressing this with said plan.
They've had one for a few years http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_national_hq/public_affairs/cap_public_awareness_plan/

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on May 23, 2010, 05:55:55 PM
Quote from: RickRutledge on May 20, 2010, 04:57:12 PM
They've had one for a few years http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_national_hq/public_affairs/cap_public_awareness_plan/

You mean this to be a joke, right?  On page 14, they're increasing brand recognition with vehicle wraps.  That is, without a standardized logo...   :'(

RiverAux

Didn't say it was a great plan, just that it existed.   You would think that the use of the command patch throughout the plan would indicate that it was the preferred logo, but I guess not.  The closest they get is talking about playing up the citizens serving communities motto.

JC004

So you'd think.  The supporting documents...the marketing guide...has 3 different logos, including an improperly proportioned command patch in the AF symbol.   :-\

Will it ever end?

a2capt

I spotted the triangle on Certificates of Appreciation, don't know where the certificates came from, (member printed, or ordered blank print to just fill in the name/item/dates..

jimmydeanno

FYI, triangle-thingy is being put on all the NHQ staff's business cards.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

a2capt

Hmmm.. makes me wonder if the magazine cover was a "mistake" this time?

I just.. can't stand looking at that thing, ESPECIALLY when it's used in the magazine masthead like that.

JC004

There are a couple possible answers:

1.  They are continuing in inconsistent usage of things (very likely)

2.  Someone figured out how to spell "V-O-L-U-N-T-E-E-R" and it was not "V-A-L-U-N-T-E-E-R" (somewhat likely)

RiverAux

Interestingly, on the logo page in eservices, the triangle thing is referred to as a "seal".  Doesn't look like any seal I've ever seen.

JC004

It's a SEAL because they SAID.

Turn the Triangle Thingy upside-down.  Then, compare it to this image.  You will see.

alamrcn

Quick! Someone club the tri-angle thingy!!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Redbird Leader

Just spotted on the National Board flyer/invitation for the meeting in San Diego in Sep.  "Click on the triange to register"   Aaaarrrgh!
Commander, Redbird Cadet Sqdn (MO-801)
Captain, USAF (Ret)
Prior, never ex, cadet (Mitchell unnumbered Jul 71)

JC004

Quote from: Redbird Leader on May 24, 2010, 07:20:25 PM
Just spotted on the National Board flyer/invitation for the meeting in San Diego in Sep.  "Click on the triange to register"   Aaaarrrgh!

"I'll click when it is replaced by a duly approved logo."