Force protection and armed CAP members

Started by RiverAux, April 18, 2010, 11:15:07 PM

Should CAPR900-3 be changed to allow (more) CAP members to carry firearms while on CAP duty?

No, the current regulation is fine as is
Should allow for open carry by law enforcement officers
Should allow any law enforcement officer to carry a concealed weapon even if not required by law
Should allow for open carry for any CAP senior member with a concealed carry permit
Should allow any senior member with proper licenses to carry a concealed weapon
Should allow for open carry by any CAP senior member not legally prohibited from having a firearm

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on October 08, 2010, 01:30:46 AM
Quote from: N Harmon on October 07, 2010, 08:51:44 PM
Oh, Please. You just said in the next sentence that you wait until the police have radioed "area clear". An urban environment secured by armed police officers is not the same thing as a wooded area where help is literally hours away.

There is a big difference between an area where shooting is currently going on, and an area where my gut instincts tell me that quite a few people are packing heat, which where I live, is illegal.

And I say nuts, because the situations being thrown around are "what-ifs"

What-if questions have no place here. Nor do they have a place anywhere.

The regulations are just fine and dandy the way they are. And besides, if CAP were to change the regulation, you can be sure that suddenly, all AFAMs would go bye bye.

If you're worried about needing a gun on an ES mission, the Sheriff's department would be more than happy to send a deputy out with your team.

(Most Sheriffs Depts. and Police Depts. don't know the first thing about SAR, at least in my neck of the woods)

I have not argued against a persons Constitutional right to own a weapon; the Supreme Court has upheld this time and time again, but what you have to realize is that when you signed the Form 12, you agreed to go by CAP regulation. And the regulation is clear, and it isn't going to be changed anytime soon.

What if's have no place anywhere?

What do you think ORM is?

You don't fly much, do you?  A pilot is always thinking of "What if..."

I know the regulation.  I know the risks.  I will make the decisions accordingly.  I know the regulation is unlikely to be changed in the near future.

If you cannot debate an issue without becoming emotional and resorting to personal attacks, then you probably should avoid discussion boards.
Another former CAP officer

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on October 08, 2010, 02:47:59 PM
Busy or not, a good way to meet locals with CCW is to be roaming around in camouflage with something that looks like a rifle (folded L-Per at night) without LEA support.

More than once I've been on a mission where local PD showed up and commented that they had been getting calls about the above.

I will keep that in mind next time I'm responsible for a team.

Flying Pig

By Krapenhoeffer
If you feel the need to walk around with a gun at all times, CAP isn't the organization for you.

Oh great, now what am I supposed to do with all my free time?

cap235629

I think Glenn Beck had people like Eclipse in mind when he wrote "Arguing with Idiots"
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

N Harmon

Come on guys. There is no need for personal attacks here. We simply have a couple of fine CAP members who happen to live in states where private citizens are not allowed to carry firearms. As a result, they have a skewed understanding of what it is to live in an place where a lot of ordinary people are packing. That does not make them idiots, just misinformed. And as gun owners, our responsibility is to set them right according to facts, not ridicule them.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

vento

Some comments are really uncalled for. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and should not be ridiculed.

Honestly, I've learned something valuable from both sides by reading this thread.
Let's at least try to be CIVIL or we can ask a moderator to lock the thread before this discussion degrades into something useless.