Main Menu

"Squadron shopping"

Started by Walkman, March 04, 2010, 05:35:56 PM

Walkman

I'm in Denver airport on my way back to my home state of Michigan. We're moving from UT back to MI after 4 great years in the Rockies. I'm starting work right away, but my family is going to be staying in UT until this summer (school, etc).

We're not quite sure of where exactly we'll end up and I have a few choices in which squadron to attend once the move happens, depending on what town we decide to live in. Until the move, I'll still be an official member of UT-049.

What's the protocol for hanging out & maybe doing some training with a unit without being an official member of that unit? It'll be at least 4 months before I transfer, and I'd like to keep active in CAP, but like I said, we don't know quite where we'll end up right now.

bosshawk

Kristin: I would suggest that you contact the Sq CC, explain your sitation and see if he/she has any issues with you attending meetings and being active in your specialty.  In fact, if there are more than one Sq in the area where you are, do the same with all of them.  Then, you have a feeling for which one you might want to join on a permanent basis.

Direct answer to your question: I don't think that there is a protocol for this process.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

bosshawk

Excuse my misspelling of your name.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

As a Sq Commander, I would have no issue with it.  Just let that SqCC know what your doing.  If I can help a member stay active while they are in transition, and in turn they bring value to my unit while they are there, Id be all for it. 

Eclipse

If you don't transfer, the CC you are visiting will be unable to handle signoffs and other issues for you.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

JoeTomasone

Quote from: EMT-83 on March 04, 2010, 06:14:38 PM
I'll bite. Why not?

No access/ability to alter or add to the eServices/Ops Quals of a member outside of the CC's unit.   Not even the MIWG staff would be able to.

Also, you might want to check and see if the UTWG or subordinate commanders in your chain of command have a policy requiring notification if you plan to participate with out-of-wing units.   FLWG has such a policy.

EMT-83

A good portion of my training has been conducted by instructor from another unit or even Wing. I've entered the qualifications on my SQTR, and have never had an issue with validation.

Flying Pig

True, there may be some things that the member will need an actual SQ CC to validate, but if the member is just staying active, its not going to be an issue.  A sign off to attend an activity and the daily things arent a problem.  As a SqCC all I need to do is transfer someone in via e services and I have access to their e-service immediately.  You may need to wait for the big ticket items, ie. promotion, but the daily life things shouldnt be an issue at all.
Now if you are just "visiting" you may want to be aware and not overburden you host with a ton of requests though either.  Dont visit and then become a high maintenance member.

DC

I moved a few months ago, and did pretty much exactly what you described, though only for a month or so. I attended meetings at two squadrons I was deciding between for a while before making my decision. I don't see why a SQ CC would have an issue with it, but it does come down to what they are willing to do...

Camas

Quote from: Eclipse on March 04, 2010, 06:12:25 PM
If you don't transfer, the CC you are visiting will be unable to handle signoffs and other issues for you.
Quote from: EMT-83 on March 04, 2010, 06:14:38 PM
I'll bite. Why not?
ES tasks in many cases can be approved by ES-types at the group and/or wing level. As far as know though, the achievements require final approval from the unit commander though there may be others in the unit who can do the same thing. Online promotions and specialty track ratings are another kettle of fish - only the unit CC can approve those.

Fubar

Even if you mind your P's and Q's and do nothing to burn any bridges with the groups you "audit" but ultimately don't join, there is the possibility of hurt feelings. We're all big boys and girls and should be able to remain professional, just be cognizant of any potential problem children.

I audited a few different squadrons and it was a bit awkward to explain to someone from a squadron I didn't join why I decided to go elsewhere, but ultimately I decided to spend my volunteer time with the group that provided the best fit. Hopefully you'll find the right group for you.

NIN

Quote from: Walkman on March 04, 2010, 05:35:56 PM
I'm in Denver airport on my way back to my home state of Michigan. We're moving from UT back to MI after 4 great years in the Rockies. I'm starting work right away, but my family is going to be staying in UT until this summer (school, etc).

We're not quite sure of where exactly we'll end up and I have a few choices in which squadron to attend once the move happens, depending on what town we decide to live in. Until the move, I'll still be an official member of UT-049.

What's the protocol for hanging out & maybe doing some training with a unit without being an official member of that unit? It'll be at least 4 months before I transfer, and I'd like to keep active in CAP, but like I said, we don't know quite where we'll end up right now.

Which part of the state are you moving to?  I can give you some skinny on units, plus there are a few MI Wingers here.

When I moved from MI to NH, it was 4-5 months before I was officially transferred due to the fact that I was still technically the unit commander in my old squadron.  The interim commander was assigned to wing and thus wasn't on the charter of the squadron.  I put a 2A in for transfer, assuming that the CAPF 27 had finally been put in.  Nothing.  Faxed it down again. Zip. I called NHQ, they said "Look, fax that 2A to us as many times as you want, but you're a commander. You're the ONE guy we can't transfer out of that unit.."

As a commander, I've also worked out situations like that with other unit commanders.  Got a guy coming into your area for the next 8 months for school,  but he still wants to do cadet tests?   We tested him, signed his CAPF 23s and then the unit (not the cadet) mailed the CAPF 23 headers down to his assigned unit.    ES qualifications?  Same thing. He did the training, we sent him with documentation.  It can be done if everybody is heads up about it and works in a "member centric" way.

Its not like "Hey, I want to go to Michigan to do a bunch of stuff with them, for no other reason than 'Its not Utah.'  Can you let me?"  No, you're moving. Leaving. Its doing nobody any good to throw silly administrative roadblocks in your way in the name of "well, we have to do something.." or "Mother May I?"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Slim

Quote from: NIN on March 07, 2010, 04:07:32 AM

Which part of the state are you moving to?  I can give you some skinny on units, plus there are a few MI Wingers here.

Your "skinny" is 12 years out of date by now  8) .  Lots of changes around here, dude.

I sent him a PM a couple days ago.

Slim

Walkman

Thanks for all the replies. I've had an Epic Fail on my computer since I got here and I haven't spent much time online since.

I'm still not sure what town exactly the job is going to ultimately be in, so I can use that to avoid the hard feeling mentioned.

I started MO training and I still need 1 training sortie for MS, so I hope to keep those moving along at some point soon.

Here's a cool little bit of coincidence: The former CC of my UT unit (legend is he's the one who revived the almost dead SQDN) is in the same town I'm staying in temporarily doing some graduate work. Small world.

One thing I have to figure out, is whether I want to keep working with cadets or go senior unit and focus on ES work. I've spent a lot of years working with youth (youth minister, boy scouts, CAP, etc) and I enjoy it, but I really joined to be part of the ES program. My son is a cadet, so I'd still like to spend some time with him.

If there isn't a composite unit in the area, can someone work with 2 squadrons?

Eclipse

Quote from: Walkman on March 09, 2010, 03:13:14 AM
If there isn't a composite unit in the area, can someone work with 2 squadrons?

In my wing you can play wherever you want, assuming its ok with the CC.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on March 09, 2010, 03:27:11 AM
In my wing you can play wherever you want, assuming its ok with the CC.

I was rolling around in my head this idea: If I could be a character development officer for a cadet unit, I'd be there once a month, then the other times I could be with a senior unit training n' stuff.

That is, IF there's a spot open for CDO and IF this is OK with both CC's and IF the meeting times don't conflict and all that...

I'm going to start "shopping" sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Eclipse

You may want to consider a role on Group staff versus an individual unit - that gives you the freedom to wander around bothering
people all over the place with command approval.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on March 09, 2010, 03:45:18 AM
that gives you the freedom to wander around bothering people all over the place with command approval.

interesting...

Slim

Quote from: Walkman on March 09, 2010, 04:01:07 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 09, 2010, 03:45:18 AM
that gives you the freedom to wander around bothering people all over the place with command approval.

interesting...

That's a possibility as an additional duty assignment, but we don't have huge group staffs here.  Most of our group charters list only the commander, everyone else who works at the group level is there ADY.

Slim