from cadet to Senior Officer(member)

Started by Dutchboy, March 06, 2008, 02:51:16 AM

Dutchboy

What is the process for a cadet to change to senior officer (member). Details please.

mikeylikey

Nooooooooooo.......

Seriously I love to see when Cadets stay with CAP and become Officers.  I wish more would! 

Anyway, New Application, I do believe APP FEE is waived if you write Cadet to Senior on top of the application.  Finger Print Card, Dish some $$ to Vanguard, Should have Cadet Protection already in (6 months before turning 18), and drive on.  Very similar to a Brand New Adult joining CAP.  However it gets interesting if the Cadet is turning 21, has some milestone awards, etc.  Each individual is different, all depends on the Cadets age and background.  If turning 21 and has the Mitch Award they get to be a 2nd Lt etc etc. 

What's up monkeys?

Tim Medeiros

have them fill out a CAPF 12 and write across the top "CADET TO SENIOR - NO CHARGE" get them to do a finger print card then send that to NHQ/DP.  My stuff took approximately a week to get processed and posted.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 06, 2008, 03:42:12 AMShould have Cadet Protection already in (6 months before turning 18)

CPPT cannot be completed until >after< your 18th birthday.

Quote from: CAPR39-2, 3-7 Page 11 http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_120403111801.pdf
3-7. Procedures for Cadets Transferring to Senior Status. After reaching age 18, cadets desiring to transfer to senior member status may do so by simply forwarding a CAPF 12 and a FBI fingerprint card to National Headquarters (a copy of the CAPF 12 should also be forwarded to the wing headquarters). The form will be annotated across the top as follows: "Cadet to Senior - No Charge." When the application is received by National Headquarters, the cadet will be transferred to senior member status for the duration of his or her current membership year, after which time the member will be billed as a senior membership renewal. NOTE 1: If the cadet's membership is due for renewal at approximately the same time the application for senior membership is made (within 2 months), than the applicant should include new senior membership dues with the application to ensure continuous service. (See attachment 1 for actual dues amount required.) In this case, wing dues will be forwarded directly to the wing. NOTE 2: Cadets who have not transferred to senior member status prior to their 21st birthday, will have their cadet membership terminated and receive a notification letter from National Headquarters along with a CAPF 12 and fingerprint card in the event they wish to continue their CAP affiliation as a senior member.

Quote from: CAPR 52-10" 3-c Page2, http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_082503073109.pdf
c. All cadets, within 6 months following their eighteenth birthday, must undergo the same Cadet Protection Program Training (CPPT) that senior members must complete. If a cadet promotion is due during that 6-month period, then this CPPT must be completed prior to the promotion.

Partial emphasis mine, the word "following" is actually bolded in the reg.

I can speak from experience that CPPT Form 11's dated before their birthday will be rejected.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

[Deleted cuz I responded before reading the entire thread.]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Eclipse on March 06, 2008, 05:01:59 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on March 06, 2008, 03:42:12 AMShould have Cadet Protection already in (6 months before turning 18)

CPPT cannot be completed until >after< your 18th birthday.

Quote from: CAPR39-2, 3-7 Page 11 http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_120403111801.pdf
3-7. Procedures for Cadets Transferring to Senior Status. After reaching age 18, cadets desiring to transfer to senior member status may do so by simply forwarding a CAPF 12 and a FBI fingerprint card to National Headquarters (a copy of the CAPF 12 should also be forwarded to the wing headquarters). The form will be annotated across the top as follows: "Cadet to Senior - No Charge." When the application is received by National Headquarters, the cadet will be transferred to senior member status for the duration of his or her current membership year, after which time the member will be billed as a senior membership renewal. NOTE 1: If the cadet's membership is due for renewal at approximately the same time the application for senior membership is made (within 2 months), than the applicant should include new senior membership dues with the application to ensure continuous service. (See attachment 1 for actual dues amount required.) In this case, wing dues will be forwarded directly to the wing. NOTE 2: Cadets who have not transferred to senior member status prior to their 21st birthday, will have their cadet membership terminated and receive a notification letter from National Headquarters along with a CAPF 12 and fingerprint card in the event they wish to continue their CAP affiliation as a senior member.

Quote from: CAPR 52-10" 3-c Page2, http://level2.cap.gov/documents/u_082503073109.pdf
c. All cadets, within 6 months following their eighteenth birthday, must undergo the same Cadet Protection Program Training (CPPT) that senior members must complete. If a cadet promotion is due during that 6-month period, then this CPPT must be completed prior to the promotion.

Partial emphasis mine, the word "following" is actually bolded in the reg.

I can speak from experience that CPPT Form 11's dated before their birthday will be rejected.

Wow, I thought it was 6 mos prior as well.....Ok  Carry on

Eclipse

Like many things CAP, I found out the hard way - we tried to be proactive with a soon-to-be who was going into the service and wanted to be a fully-converted senior so he could participate in an encampment between basic and his first school.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on March 06, 2008, 02:56:00 PM
Like many things CAP, I found out the hard way - we tried to be proactive with a soon-to-be who was going into the service and wanted to be a fully-converted senior so he could participate in an encampment between basic and his first school.

Easy, have them do the CPPT slides, and discussion as close as possible to the 18th b-day, and date it on his b-day.  Even if it doesn't post to e-services right away, a copy of the CAPF-11 satisfies the requirement.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

nesagsar

What if I left CAP in 2005 as a cadet and if I rejoined it would be as a senior?  And let's suppose that the local group commander dosent like me.

SarDragon

It doesn't matter. You're beyond two years out, so it's a redo.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

nesagsar

What about ribbons and badges? A lot of the stuff that I earned wont be held in records. The squadron commander suppressed records keeping and destroyed documents illegaly.

SarDragon

Well, some stuff might still be on record at National. They managed to dredge up info on me in 1989 after an absence of several years. Do you have your own copies of any awards, etc?

The redo I was speaking of would be the segments of Level I that you might have already completed or goten credit for (Mitchell and CPPT).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

nesagsar

I never recieved paperwork on some of my achievments. I think the most documented item I have is my ground team ratings because I got them at NESA. It took a personal call the wing ES officer to get my GES rating forwarded out of the squadron. I know Mitchel cadets from my squadron that never recieved certificates. At one point I was considered by different people to have five different ranks, I had to carry a small store room of insignia in my pockets and have excuses ready for each officer in case they saw me in the "wrong" grade insignia. I cant even be sure that my lifesaving awards went through properly, the commander of cadets said to wear it though so I did.

Cecil DP

Quote from: nesagsar on March 12, 2008, 07:35:54 AM
I never recieved paperwork on some of my achievments. I think the most documented item I have is my ground team ratings because I got them at NESA. It took a personal call the wing ES officer to get my GES rating forwarded out of the squadron. I know Mitchel cadets from my squadron that never recieved certificates. At one point I was considered by different people to have five different ranks, I had to carry a small store room of insignia in my pockets and have excuses ready for each officer in case they saw me in the "wrong" grade insignia. I cant even be sure that my lifesaving awards went through properly, the commander of cadets said to wear it though so I did.

If those cadets didn't receive their Mitchell Certificates, someone didn't forward the 59-1 to National for the award. Unfortuneately CAPM 52-16 says it's the cadets's responsibility to make sure that it is signed and mailed. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

nesagsar

The 59-1 went out but the squadron never gave the cadets the certs. They were happy just to get thier pips.

Flying Pig

Quote from: nesagsar on March 12, 2008, 07:35:54 AM

You would have received an official "Certificate for Lifesaving" and would have been presented a medal.  Its a big piece of paper with the colorful lifesaving banner across the top.   If someone just told you to wear it, you may have an issue.  

nesagsar

Well thats my old squadron. Not perfect by a long shot. These admin problems are part of why I left. I hear the the guy that took over cadet commander from me was demoted three times and somehow managed to get Mitchel anyway.

Flying Pig

So a CADET told you that you earned the Lifesaving Medal 4 times?  The way you have it set up on your "Show us your rack" , you did 4 organ or tissue transports.  Otherwise you get the silver star attachment.

g. Certificate of Recognition for Lifesaving.
Awarded to members who save a human life, but do not
meet the criteria for the Bronze or Silver Medal of Valor.
Members who are credited with a save as a result of
participation in a blood or organ transport mission will
be awarded the basic ribbon.  A silver star will be
attached to the ribbon in recognition of lifesaving actions
other than blood or organ transport.  In either case, the
ribbon will be awarded only once.  Members who were
previously awarded the ribbon for a save other than blood
or organ transport should attach a silver star to the ribbon
and remove all other devices.  All previous criteria and
wear instructions no longer apply.

nesagsar

No, it was the senior member in charge of the cadets who told me that. I added the story about the cadet to emphasize how messed up the squadron still is.