Main Menu

Health Services Specialty.

Started by Snake Doctor, January 08, 2008, 03:02:42 AM

Snake Doctor

What ever happened to the Health Services Specialty Track Pamphlet?
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

IceNine

IIRC there was never a guide for HSO, it is simply covered in 160-1, which says once appointed you are to keep up with professional continuing ed.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

arajca

There isn't an HSO pamphlet. One was proposed, but until the legal and HSO folks at National work out some issues, there won't be one.

flyerthom

Quote from: arajca on January 08, 2008, 03:25:11 AM
There isn't an HSO pamphlet. One was proposed, but until the legal and HSO folks at National work out some issues, there won't be one.

Isn't there an unapproved draft on the yahoo group?
TC

Snake Doctor

How does one advance in the specialty then?
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

Pace

Since the HSO is primarily advisory in nature, why should there be an entire track for medical professionals?  Their advancement (if any) will have nothing to do with CAP, and we can't use most of their skills anyway (and only their knowledge of prevention and safety).

Seriously, I don't get it.  What direction was the committee that put together the draft pamphlet going with this?
Lt Col, CAP

arajca

Quote from: Snake Doctor on January 08, 2008, 07:29:47 PM
How does one advance in the specialty then?
You don't.

There was a long discussion on the HSO Yahoo! group about promotions for HSO's and the consensous was that the only requirement for HSO's to promote is TIG.

Snake Doctor

I'm more interested in advancement in specialty track levels in the HSO track.
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

IceNine

You have to achieve a higher level professional rating.

So EMT's, P-Gods, etc are Techs

Nurses, and similar are Senior

MD, DO, DS, DD, Etc are Master

Again, Only if memory serves me correctly

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

arajca

Quote from: IceNine on January 09, 2008, 04:06:59 AM

There are no ratings in HSO. There is no HSO track. It is used only to identify those who are serving as HSO's. No ratings, no progression in a track that does not exist.

For promotions, however, see CAPR 35-5
Quote from: CAPR35-5, para 25(c)
CAPF 2 on health service personnel recommending appointment to an appropriate grade, as outlined below. The member's qualifications will be evaluated by the wing health service program officer, who will provide his or her comments and recommendations to the wing commander prior to approval. (Specific qualifications for medical personnel are outlined in CAPR 160-1.)
1) Second Lieutenant. Licensed practical or vocational nurse, paramedic, or other health technician.
2) First Lieutenant. Registered nurse, physician assistant or other health professional with a bachelors or masters degree as outlined in CAPR 160-1.
3) Captain. Licensed physician, dentist, or other health professional with an earned doctorate degree in a health care discipline.
4) Major. Licensed physician appointed a unit health service program officer in accordance with CAPR 160-1 who has served 1 year time-in-grade as a captain.
for initial appointment grade and

Quote from: CAPR35-5, para 24
24. Training Requirements. Professional personnel must complete Level I and CPPT prior to appointment to CAP officer grade. Health Service personnel, legal officers, professional educators serving as aerospace education officers and financial professionals serving as finance officers are exempt from all other training requirements prescribed for promotion to additional grades. Completion of CAPP 221 is required for all chaplain promotions after initial appointment. Chaplains are exempt from all other training requirements prescribed for promotion to additional grades.
emphasis mine
for subsequent promotions.

Also, CAPR 160-1
Quote from: CAPR 160-1,para 11
11. Training and Professional Growth: All health service personnel are expected to receive annual continuing education in their professional discipline and are encouraged to participate in the CAP Professional Development Program as outlined in CAPR 50-17.

Absolutely nothing about HSO specialty track or professional development ratings.

SARMedTech

Actually, I believe EMTs (Basic, Intermediate and Paramedic) also qualify for Technician, Senior and Master hence the three different wing blings with the SOL in the middle.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

arajca

Quote from: SARMedTech on January 09, 2008, 05:27:06 AM

Actually, I believe EMTs (Basic, Intermediate and Paramedic) also qualify for Technician, Senior and Master hence the three different wing blings with the SOL in the middle.
The EMT badges are NOT the same as the specialty track ratings, which do not exist.

SARMedTech

Quote from: dcpacemaker on January 08, 2008, 07:33:37 PM
Since the HSO is primarily advisory in nature, why should there be an entire track for medical professionals?  Their advancement (if any) will have nothing to do with CAP, and we can't use most of their skills anyway (and only their knowledge of prevention and safety).

Seriously, I don't get it.  What direction was the committee that put together the draft pamphlet going with this?

Yet another person who doesn't understand the need for medical personnel in the field. I thought we beat this horse to death months ago. So if my position is advisory, can I tell someone how to stabilize a tib-fib fx in the field, I just cant do it myself? I'll tell a pilot. They can do anything  ::).
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SARMedTech

Quote from: arajca on January 09, 2008, 05:30:50 AM
Quote from: SARMedTech on January 09, 2008, 05:27:06 AM

The EMT badges are NOT the same as the specialty track ratings, which do not exist.

No they are specialty insignia, IIRC since we are splitting hairs on this non-issue again.
"Corpsman Up!"

chiles

Doctors, nurses and EMT's don't need to lay a hand on a patient to apply their experience to CAP. Here is a list of some things us HSO's do:
1) Train members in CPR, 1st Aid, Bloodborne Pathogens, etc
2) Monitor expiration dates of the above training and set up refresher courses
3) Assist with teaching safety issues
4) Teach courses on health issues relevent to unit issues
5) Mentor cadets in nutrition and exercise to help them become healthier and do better in their PT tests
6) Assist the squadron commander and deputy commander for cadets in cadet medical issues (e.g. cadets with disabilities)
7) Maintain the squadron's 1st aid kits
8) Counsel cadets (And seniors) interested in entering the medical field
9) Serve as medical staff at cadet events such as encampments
10) Assist parents with documentation required for cadets with disabilities

The proposed system that's currently being re-re-re-reviewed by legal has personnel advancing based on their service above. There are various subtracks, the biggest being training. The major concern is liability but the proposed program track has nothing to do with seeing patients.

The need to advance in your degree to become a higher rank in CAP is a myth. If an HSO completes Level 1 and then acts as an HSO at any level, all they need is time in grade. Having said that, as a Wing Nurse Officer, I'm supposed to review promotion requests before they pass to the Wing Commander. One of the things I look for is what type of activities they have participated in and what duties have they filled in their unit. Nobody should get a free pass but the idea that the position need only be one of an adviser is a waste of talents. There's a lot to be said for prevention and mitigation, let alone training. The HSO position is really what the HSO makes of it. I choose to get more involved and try to show my superiors and contemporaries that health professionals bring more to the table than a box of bandaids and a stethescope.
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

Pace

Quote from: SARMedTech on January 09, 2008, 05:32:54 AM
Yet another person who doesn't understand the need for medical personnel in the field. I thought we beat this horse to death months ago. So if my position is advisory, can I tell someone how to stabilize a tib-fib fx in the field, I just cant do it myself? I'll tell a pilot. They can do anything  ::).

I've been on ground team almost since I joined in 2002.  I do understand the need for medical personnel; however, it is my experience that most of the skills that medical personnel possess cannot legally be used.  CAP members are only authorized the use of basic first aid for stabilization, regardless of advanced medical training.  160-1 even defines the intent of "emergency care" as CPR and first aid.  I mean no offense in any way, but a non-medical person with first aid training can (not necessarily will, but can) possess the same level of medical treatment ability allowed to be used legally by CAP.  On the flip side, I also know that it is abundantly beneficial to have a medically trained team member for when crap hits the fan.

Quote from: CAPR 60-3
1-21f. First Aid and Emergency Medical Care. CAP is not an emergency medical care or paramedic organization and should not advertise itself as such. CAP will not be the primary provider of medical support on missions or training events though qualified personnel can be used to support such activities. The only type of medical aid that should be administered by CAP personnel or by any other person at CAP's request is reasonable first aid deemed necessary to save a life or prevent human suffering and executed by a person qualified to attempt such medical care within their skill level.

Quote from: chiles
Doctors, nurses and EMT's don't need to lay a hand on a patient to apply their experience to CAP. Here is a list of some things us HSO's do:
1) Train members in CPR, 1st Aid, Bloodborne Pathogens, etc
2) Monitor expiration dates of the above training and set up refresher courses
3) Assist with teaching safety issues
4) Teach courses on health issues relevent to unit issues
5) Mentor cadets in nutrition and exercise to help them become healthier and do better in their PT tests
6) Assist the squadron commander and deputy commander for cadets in cadet medical issues (e.g. cadets with disabilities)
7) Maintain the squadron's 1st aid kits
8 ) Counsel cadets (And seniors) interested in entering the medical field
9) Serve as medical staff at cadet events such as encampments
10) Assist parents with documentation required for cadets with disabilities

The proposed system that's currently being re-re-re-reviewed by legal has personnel advancing based on their service above. There are various subtracks, the biggest being training. The major concern is liability but the proposed program track has nothing to do with seeing patients.

The need to advance in your degree to become a higher rank in CAP is a myth. If an HSO completes Level 1 and then acts as an HSO at any level, all they need is time in grade. Having said that, as a Wing Nurse Officer, I'm supposed to review promotion requests before they pass to the Wing Commander. One of the things I look for is what type of activities they have participated in and what duties have they filled in their unit. Nobody should get a free pass but the idea that the position need only be one of an adviser is a waste of talents. There's a lot to be said for prevention and mitigation, let alone training. The HSO position is really what the HSO makes of it. I choose to get more involved and try to show my superiors and contemporaries that health professionals bring more to the table than a box of bandaids and a stethescope.
Thank you.  That's what I was trying to figure out.  Although it is still more knowledge than skill based in application, at least in this way it is directly used to benefit the membership instead of just throwing together a status report every few months and sitting back.  The only one of those scenarios you listed that remotely describes a situation where a medical professional could use their training for its original intended purpose is at encampment, and to the best of my understanding (again from a legal standpoint) there is very little that a medical professional can personally do for other CAP members.  In fact, it is my understanding that a gas station station clerk can provide more medical assistance for minor injuries than a medical professional can at a CAP activity.

As a side note, isn't a physician's assistant an MSN level certification much like CRNA is?
Lt Col, CAP

chiles

Quote from: dcpacemaker on January 09, 2008, 02:13:28 PM
Thank you.  That's what I was trying to figure out.  Although it is still more knowledge than skill based in application, at least in this way it is directly used to benefit the membership instead of just throwing together a status report every few months and sitting back.  The only one of those scenarios you listed that remotely describes a situation where a medical professional could use their training for its original intended purpose is at encampment, and to the best of my understanding (again from a legal standpoint) there is very little that a medical professional can personally do for other CAP members.  In fact, it is my understanding that a gas station station clerk can provide more medical assistance for minor injuries than a medical professional can at a CAP activity.

As a side note, isn't a physician's assistant an MSN level certification much like CRNA is?

I disagree with the assertion that training and prevention aren't original uses for my nursing license. Having been both a public health and ER nurse, I can tell you that education is one of my primary jobs. That goes for CAP as well. I may not be legally allowed to push cardiac medications on a senior member having a heart attack but I can certainly teach them how to avoid one in the first place! And that is very much part of my nursing career and license.

To answer your question, a physician's assistant is a masters level degree. Depending on the state, it can be equivalent to any nurse practitioner. State laws vary, though. In Maryland, an NP can hang a shingle but a PA must work under a physician. I know in other states, this isn't the case and a NP must work under a doctor and a PA can have their own practice. From a practical standpoint, PA's can come from virtually any background. They must have a bachelors but it can be in anything. Most PA programs require medical experience and patient time, though. An NP student must have a bachelors in nursing. Some programs exist, for example at Johns Hopkins Nursing School, that take you from a freshman in college all the way through to your NP license. Other programs require you have a few years experience as a nurse under your belt. Either way, an NP certification program is also masters level. Hope this helps.
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

Pace

Quote from: chiles on January 09, 2008, 02:22:00 PM
I disagree with the assertion that training and prevention aren't original uses for my nursing license. Having been both a public health and ER nurse, I can tell you that education is one of my primary jobs. That goes for CAP as well. I may not be legally allowed to push cardiac medications on a senior member having a heart attack but I can certainly teach them how to avoid one in the first place! And that is very much part of my nursing career and license.
I stand corrected.  I guess I'll pick that up later this year once I start nursing school.

QuoteTo answer your question, a physician's assistant is a masters level degree. Depending on the state, it can be equivalent to any nurse practitioner. State laws vary, though. In Maryland, an NP can hang a shingle but a PA must work under a physician. I know in other states, this isn't the case and a NP must work under a doctor and a PA can have their own practice. From a practical standpoint, PA's can come from virtually any background. They must have a bachelors but it can be in anything. Most PA programs require medical experience and patient time, though. An NP student must have a bachelors in nursing. Some programs exist, for example at Johns Hopkins Nursing School, that take you from a freshman in college all the way through to your NP license. Other programs require you have a few years experience as a nurse under your belt. Either way, an NP certification program is also masters level. Hope this helps.
Again, thank you.  I've never completely understood the difference between PA and NP.  Although you gave me more than I was asking for (which is most appreciated), the reason I was asking is I noticed a proposed PA badge in the health services yahoo group.  I didn't understand why it had a badge but other MSN level certifications didn't, but your explanation makes sense.
Lt Col, CAP

chiles

Welcome to the nursing world  ;D! If you need any help, let me know. I'll PM you with my contact information. Good luck with it and rest assured your clinical instructors won't let you kill anyone... at least until your senior year...
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

brasda91

Quote from: dcpacemaker on January 09, 2008, 02:13:28 PM
I've been on ground team almost since I joined in 2002.  I do understand the need for medical personnel; however, it is my experience that most of the skills that medical personnel possess cannot legally be used.  CAP members are only authorized the use of basic first aid for stabilization, regardless of advanced medical training.  160-1 even defines the intent of "emergency care" as CPR and first aid.  I mean no offense in any way, but a non-medical person with first aid training can (not necessarily will, but can) possess the same level of medical treatment ability allowed to be used legally by CAP.  On the flip side, I also know that it is abundantly beneficial to have a medically trained team member for when crap hits the fan.

Quote from: CAPR 60-3
1-21f. First Aid and Emergency Medical Care. CAP is not an emergency medical care or paramedic organization and should not advertise itself as such. CAP will not be the primary provider of medical support on missions or training events though qualified personnel can be used to support such activities. The only type of medical aid that should be administered by CAP personnel or by any other person at CAP's request is reasonable first aid deemed necessary to save a life or prevent human suffering and executed by a person qualified to attempt such medical care within their skill level.

What?  Most of the skills that medical personnel posses cannot legally be usedCAP members are only authorized the use of basic first aid for stabilization, regardless of advanced medical training.  160-1 even defines the intent of "emergency care" as CPR and first aid.  I don't know how you came up with that.  I'm a state certified EMT and I can tell you that if I don't perform up to my level of training, I can be held negligent.

Regarding your quote from 60-3, no we are not an emergency medical care or paramedic organization and should not advertise itself as such. CAP will not be the primary provider of medical support on missions or training events though qualified personnel can be used to support such activities.  What that means, is we will not be called to be the "medical team", even though we have members that are EMTs, Paramedics, nurses, and doctors.  The biggest reason we need f/a and cpr training is for our own members.  No one is going to call CAP to a scene to take the place of an ambulance service.

And the last statement "to save a life or prevent human suffering and executed by a person qualified to attempt such medical care within their skill level".  Once again, my skill level is higher than someone with basic f/a and cpr.  It is expected of me to do more, simply by state laws.

Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011