Main Menu

A Commission?

Started by James Shaw, September 19, 2007, 01:56:11 PM

Would you be willing to enroll if given the chance to get a regular military commission if you met all of the requirements other than age?  Which service has the more liberal requirements.

Yes
74 (70.5%)
No
18 (17.1%)
BTDT
13 (12.4%)

Total Members Voted: 105

James Shaw

A co-worker of mine was recently commissioned in the Georgia National Guard. She has been in the Guard for about 11 years. She stated to me that they have inquired about people she knows who would be good candidates for a commission. I have read before that there is a state that only allows an associates versus bachelors for a LDO commission. Any ideas who thoughts.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

Lancer

Quote from: Poll Text
"all of the requirements"

I guess it would depend on what the requirements were and how it would affect what I do in the CAP vs. what I do now.

What would be the reasons for taking a commission in a volunteer organization other than affirming your commitment to that organization?

That would be like offering a lifetime membership in the way the NRA does, throw them 500 bones and get a nice leather jacket. CAP could offer lifetime memberships that would act as a commission.

Pylon

Does it help me accomplish CAP's missions any better?   If the answer is "probably not" then I don't know if I need to waste too much time on it.  I'd rather spend time working to improve some functional aspect of the organization, rather than fancy up the technical terms for our membership.

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

James Shaw

Perhaps my question is misunderstood. I am spekaing a an Active Duty or Reserve Commission in one of the Armed Forces not a CAP Commission.
Jim Shaw

cnitas

Well, if I wanted to join the military, and I met all the criteria for a commission, then YES  I would want one.

edited to say: I am not sure what service has the most 'liberal' requirements.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

ColonelJack

I'd accept one in a New York minute ... but I doubt they'll relax the standards that far.  I'll be 49 next week, so even if I met the physical requirements, I'd be too old.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

gallagheria

In Georgia, your only requirement to go to the Georgia Military Institute, which is the state OCS program, is 60 credit hours (associates degree), ASVAB GT of 110, and either complete your college degree for a bachelors or obtain 805 SAT/19 ACT.

Not the highest standards. Amazing that the state requires higher standards for the State Defense Force than the state and NGB require for then National Guard.

James Shaw

Quote from: gallagheria on September 19, 2007, 03:46:03 PM
In Georgia, your only requirement to go to the Georgia Military Institute, which is the state OCS program, is 60 credit hours (associates degree), ASVAB GT of 110, and either complete your college degree for a bachelors or obtain 805 SAT/19 ACT.

Not the highest standards. Amazing that the state requires higher standards for the State Defense Force than the state and NGB require for then National Guard.

I wish I had known that many years ago. I would have changed mine an gone on to the commissioning part. I will be forty next month and am to old. I have 9 years of total service. Besides my wife would scream her head off at the mention. Anyone know a recruiter? heheh
Jim Shaw

Major Carrales

I CAP was to truly "augment the USAF," it is most logical that the CAP officer rank should be automatic.  I can see maybe an elisted rank or NCO, if a CAP officer qualified as such.

In addition, CAP officers in USAF roles woudl best be made into more traditionally non-combatant maybe homeside service...like recruiters or base functionaries.

I mean, unless there was some sort of BASIC TRAINING, I think an average CAP officer suddenly finding themself in Quatar with little training (no matter what that person's role is) is asking for trouble...if not caualties.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

Quote from: gallagheria on September 19, 2007, 03:46:03 PM

Your kidding me?  And I wondered why NG had to "retrain" before going overseas. 

So If I just took my SAT (and got the almost minimum in math and verbal), then did community college, and receive a very low ASVAB score I too could have been a Georgia National Guard Officer?  That is the reason we need a standardized baseline requirement for anyone wishing to be a Military Officer.  At the very least a Bachelors degree, geez, come on GEORGIA!  I worked my ass off to be an Officer (as in early morning study sessions with a math tutor, constant running, Part time job to pay for things my scholarship did not cover).  To top it all off, I gave up 2 summers, a few trips to Mexico and Puerto Rico with my friends for spring break and a whole lot of time I could have been boozing with every other person on campus. 

I am just jealous I guess.  So in Georgia they are now awarding Commissions to the Friends of Current Officers from what I read above.  Pretty soon we will just be able to buy a commission, or at the very least send away for one from Nebraska  >:D
What's up monkeys?

gallagheria

well, it is not just Georgia. There are Military Junior Colleges (either 5 or 6 nationwide) that the U.S. Army has approved and you commission in just 2 years with an associates. So let's not just bash Georgia. Besides, I am now in the State Defense Force and the TAG requires our officers to have a four year degree and then OCS, if they are not prior-service officers. Amazing you can commission easier in the Guard than in the reserve support for the Guard.

I am not sure what state you are in, but I think most states are about the same. The NGB afterall regulates it.

I just checked both California and Texas--both only require associates degree as well.

mikeylikey

^  Thats new to me.  I guess it would all be about the same.  I did not mean to bash Georgia too hard.  I am surprised that it would be easier to receive a Guard Commission than an SDF one.  Wow. 

Those Military Junior Colleges do commission in 2 years with an associates, but the Reserves makes you get a bachelors within 2 years after completing your OBC.  I wonder if the Georgia Guard has a similar stipulation??
What's up monkeys?

PA Guy

The CAARNG OCS program is based at Camp San Luis Obispo.  While a min. of 60 semester units are required for admission 90 semester units are required to be completed for commissioning.  The graduate is then required to obtain a BA/BS within 2 yrs of commissioning

flyerthom

Quote from: caphistorian on September 19, 2007, 01:56:11 PM
A co-worker of mine was recently commissioned in the Georgia National Guard. She has been in the Guard for about 11 years. She stated to me that they have inquired about people she knows who would be good candidates for a commission. I have read before that there is a state that only allows an associates versus bachelors for a LDO commission. Any ideas who thoughts.

Being a trauma trained RN with EMT-P experience I know where I'd end up and can't afford the pay cut  :'(
TC

wingnut

I remember when most CAP pilots were Warrant Officers, staff was different, I think The Air Force and the National guard would have less heart burn with that relationship.
I would be more comfortable as a WO 2 or WO3, I would love to get retirement points at least too. And where is Toto, he ran under the scarecrow.

Hawk200

Quote from: caphistorian on September 19, 2007, 04:25:46 PM
I wish I had known that many years ago. I would have changed mine an gone on to the commissioning part. I will be forty next month and am to old. I have 9 years of total service. Besides my wife would scream her head off at the mention. Anyone know a recruiter? heheh

With that active duty time under your belt, you probably aren't too old. If you're seriously thinking about it, talk to a recruiter. That nine years already counts toward retirement, you could take a advantage of it.

Besides, officers make some decent money during a drill weekend. Where else are you gonna work on a weekend and make almost 400 bucks? I'm sure your wife wouldn't mind you having some more of your own spendng money.  ;D

James Shaw

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 20, 2007, 02:13:09 PM
Quote from: caphistorian on September 19, 2007, 04:25:46 PM

With that active duty time under your belt, you probably aren't too old. If you're seriously thinking about it, talk to a recruiter. That nine years already counts toward retirement, you could take a advantage of it.

Besides, officers make some decent money during a drill weekend. Where else are you gonna work on a weekend and make almost 400 bucks? I'm sure your wife wouldn't mind you having some more of your own spendng money.  ;D

I really appreciate the thought but in the last couple of years I have had knee replacement surgery on the right side and neck surgery twice. Even though I get around great I would probably get medically disqualified. The money is OK but would have to double for me to match.
Jim Shaw

Ricochet13

Quote from: caphistorian on September 19, 2007, 02:39:10 PM
Perhaps my question is misunderstood. I am spekaing a an Active Duty or Reserve Commission in one of the Armed Forces not a CAP Commission.

Already hold a commission in the U.S. Army - Retired Reserve.  60 years young and still charging forward (I hope). 

Ricochet13

Quote from: ColonelJack on September 19, 2007, 03:21:16 PM
I'd accept one in a New York minute ... but I doubt they'll relax the standards that far.  I'll be 49 next week, so even if I met the physical requirements, I'd be too old.

Jack

Ahh . . to be 49 again! ;D

Cecil DP

The requirements listed are set by the Army and the National Guard Bureau. Not by the state. These requirements are standard throughout the United States. You forget that if the Officer fails to achive his/her Bachelor's degree within two years the comission is withdrawn for failure to meet the requirements. These people do not walk in off the street. All have to already be a member of the National Guard and have passed several boards before attending the course which is 15 months long.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85