Air Command and Staff College

Started by tonyairplane, March 06, 2014, 07:24:19 PM

Shuman 14

Quote from: UH60guy on March 06, 2014, 11:25:40 PM
Excellent info, thanks a bunch for the detailed info.  I was considering taking it myself, as I'm in an Army commissioned year group as well that has a significant backlog for CGSC (now called ILE), and was hoping to backdoor my way in by double dipping and getting credit thru CAP. I think your info did help me get over the "grass is greener" perspective and I'll keep trying thru Army channels.

Now if someone has a review if CAP-based Air War College I'm all ears :)

Are you trying to Board for the TDY Course at Leavenworth? Maybe a better question is are you AC, RC, or NG?

I'm in the RC/NG ILE Phase II right now and we were told that AC officers who were not selected by the Board to attend Leavenworth can enroll in the RC/NG courses (Phases I, II, and III) and that any officer can enroll in the 100% distance learning ILE.

So if you're AC, have you considered these options as well?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

DrJbdm

In case anyone is still reading this post, can someone who has recently completed ACSC give me some info on the applied courses? My question is specifically, the papers. While completing the ORIN course, it stated in one of the lessons that papers should be written in the Chicago Style. In your experience, will they accept APA style research papers, or should I take the time to learn the Chicago style and use it for any of the required papers? (a learning curve to say the least)

MSG Mac

Quote from: DrJbdm on September 20, 2014, 02:34:46 PM
In case anyone is still reading this post, can someone who has recently completed ACSC give me some info on the applied courses? My question is specifically, the papers. While completing the ORIN course, it stated in one of the lessons that papers should be written in the Chicago Style. In your experience, will they accept APA style research papers, or should I take the time to learn the Chicago style and use it for any of the required papers? (a learning curve to say the least)

There are software programs that will walk you through citations. In fact MS Word should have it under the insert command.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: DrJbdm on September 20, 2014, 02:34:46 PMit stated in one of the lessons that papers should be written in the Chicago Style.

That's where you slip the instructor a 50 and everyone moves on...

"That Others May Zoom"

DrJbdm

QuoteThat's where you slip the instructor a 50 and everyone moves on...

Nice one! I should have used that strategy for my undergrad....

DrJbdm

QuoteThere are software programs that will walk you through citations. In fact MS Word should have it under the insert command.

I used Style Ease during my undergrad years, it helped a lot. I'm sure there are better programs out there.

THRAWN

Use the "References" tab in Word. Chicago is listed. It's good to see that ACSC is moving away from the multiple guess evals.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

Quote from: DrJbdm on September 20, 2014, 02:34:46 PM

Each instructor is different.  Some will not care about the Chicago Style, while others hammer on it.  It is best to learn its use.  The AU has a nice book titled "AU Style and Author Guide" (AU-1) that it gives to officers going through PME.  They will either give you the PDF or you can search for it.  Make sure to use the footnote option in MS Word (or equivalent).  That is, References > Insert Footnote. 

Quote from: THRAWN on September 23, 2014, 12:10:28 PM
Use the "References" tab in Word. Chicago is listed. It's good to see that ACSC is moving away from the multiple guess evals.

It is still multiple guess, but they have added a few other options.  Each block of instruction includes an "applied course", which is either a paper or a combination of a paper and online discussions.  In addition, each "non-applied" course will have a few interactive learning assignments along with its multiple guess assessments.

Nevertheless, the online option is better than having to drive to a USAF testing center to take it.  Of course, it was much better when the unit testing officer could administer the exam, but due to that cheating issue we had a while back.....

Now one of these days I will get around to taking Air War College.